Home Sports Talk
Options

What do you consider the greatest pennant races in MLB history? (nothing after 1993!!)

EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭
In the late 1980s, The Sporting News magazine wrote a book about the 25 greatest pennant races in MLB history (1951 NL was ranked #1). What do you personally consider to be among the greatest pennant races in MLB history? I listed a few that first come to mind (I'll add some more to the list once I'm off work). Here's what I personally consider a great pennant race:

1. Any that end in a tie and require a one game (or prior to 1969 for the NL, a three game) playoff to decide the league or division championship. I've now listed every pennant race that needed a pennant playoff.
2. Ones like the 1967 AL race in which three or more teams are still mathematically in it with a week or less to go. Though there has never been a three way tie for the league/division championship, we sure came pretty close a couple times at least.
3. A race that involves a big comeback to win the title, such as being down 10 games or more, being in last place around mid season, or even coming back to win with only a week or two to go after being down several games in the standings.

I do absolutely must insist on a major ground rule. You absolutely may NOT pick ANYTHING from 1994 onward. This is about true pennant races; if any wild cards are involved in anyway, then it's not a true pennant race, it's merely qualifying for the playoffs. Though I suppose a case could be made that 1969-93 didn't decide league championships but rather division championships and thus they are not real pennant races either, I believe as long as there's no wild cards, then it is still a genuine pennant race. I used to really love the wild card format when it first came out, but now I really miss the old days of baseball where you had to finish first in your league or division, or you stayed home.

And here's a very fascinating bit of trivia regarding home field advantage for the pennant playoffs. For the National League, the Dodgers were involved in every NL pennant/division playoff (there were five; 1946, 1951, 1959, 1962, 1980) and won the coin toss for home field advantage every time, but yet they only won the pennant playoff ONCE (1959). For 1951 however, they chose to defer home field advantage (more on that later). As for the American League, they only needed a pennant playoff twice (1948, 1978), with the Red Sox involved in both, and incredibly, like the Dodgers, won the coin toss for home field advantage both times, and LOST both times!

Anyway, here's the ones I picked (so far) in chronological order:

1908 NL (Cubs) This pennant race is an absolute classic with three teams staying near first place pretty much all year--Pirates (1901-03 NL champs), Giants (1904-05 champs), and of course the two time defending league champion Cubs who also won the World Series in 1907. On September 23, the Cubs and Giants were tied for first with the Pirates just 1 1/2 games behind. It just so happened the Giants and Cubs were playing that day, and due to illness of the Giants' regular starting first baseman, a 19 year old by the name of Fred Merkle got his very first major league start. Unfortunately, in the bottom of the ninth inning of that game (tied 1-1), Merkle made a huge baserunning blunder when he failed to touch second base after the seemingly winning run from third scored on an outfield hit. The game was declared a 1-1 tie. This is often considered one of the most controversial rulings in baseball history. But since the Giants and Cubs finished the season tied for first, the tie game had to be replayed to decide the NL pennant, which the Cubs won 4-2. Though Merkle had a solid 19 season career, he is (justly or not) forever remembered in baseball history by that infamous "Fred Merkle's Boner".

1914 NL (Braves) On the Fourth of July, the Braves were coming off a doubleheader loss 15 games out of first and DEAD LAST in the league. But they would win 60 out of their last 73 games to storm out of the cellar (they were in last place as late as July 18), to fourth place on July 21, second place on August 12, and then first place on September 8 after beating the three time defending NL champ Giants two out of three games. They never looked back and finished the season with a 10 1/2 game lead over the second place Giants. But they were still not done, and swept the heavily favored Philadelphia Athletics in the World Series. After that series, Athletics manager/owner Connie Mack had such sour grapes over that loss he did a fire sale that would've made even the Marlins blush.

1946 NL (Cardinals) Though the Red Sox in the American League ran away with the AL's pennant clinching on September 13 and finishing 12 games ahead of the Tigers, the Cardinals were forced to get to the World Series the hard way. They finished the season tied for first with the Dodgers. Though the Dodgers won the coin toss and received home field advantage, it did not help them one bit as the Cardinals swept the pennant playoff with 4-2 and 8-4 wins to clinch the NL flag. They would go on to win the World Series against the Red Sox--again doing so the hard way and needing the full seven games to win it.

1948 AL (Indians) With the help of the legendary Satchel Paige, he achieved his very first MLB win on July 15, and with the help of other key victories by Paige, the Indians finished the season tied with the Red Sox (who won the AL flag just two years ago) and the Yankees finished third just 2 1/2 games behind (they'd have much better luck the next five years afterward though). In the first ever one game playoff for the American League at Fenway, the Indians defeated the Red Sox 8-3 to clinch the pennant and would go on to win the World Series against the Boston Braves in six games. Unfortunately for Cleveland, the Indians have not won another World Series crown since--they just barely missed in 1997 though.

1950 NL (Phillies) Known as the Whiz Kids because they were the youngest team overall (average age 26 years) to win a league championship. With a 7 1/2 game lead over second place Boston (Braves), and 9 ahead of Brooklyn on September 20, it looked like the Phillies had it about wrapped up. But due to injuries, their lead was cut to four games in the final week, they lost two double-headers to the Giants, another loss to Brooklyn, and it took a last game win against those Dodgers to clinch the pennant and avoid a three game playoff. Though the Phillies avoided an embarrassing collapse, they would not be so lucky 14 years later.

1951 NL (Giants) The Giants had to come back from 13 1/2 games down in August but with the help of a 16 game winning streak, forced a three game playoff against the Dodgers (and if it weren't for the Dodgers winning their final regular season game in OT, the Giants would have won the flag outright). The Dodgers made a controversial decision to defer homefield advantage to the Giants after winning the coin toss (apparently the idea was to win the first game at Ebbets Field so the Giants would be forced to win the next two games but that first game was won by the Giants 3-1). Game 2 was a 10-0 blowout win for the Dodgers. And in Game 3 at the Polo Grounds, of course, everyone knows about Bobby Thomson's Shot Heard Round the World which gave the Giants a 5-4 win (and the famous THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!! radio call by Russ Hodges). But what you might not know was that when he hit that home run, there was a young 21 year old rookie outfielder waiting on deck by the name of Willie Mays.

1959 NL (Dodgers) The two time defending NL champion Milwaukee Braves (who also won the World Series in 1957) finished the 1959 season tied with the Dodgers (who the year before finished next to last) with the third place Giants finishing just four behind first place. As with the 1951 pennant playoff, the Dodgers won the coin toss (but wisely chose this time not to defer home field advantage!) for home field. The Dodgers swept the three game playoff, but those two wins were nailbitters--3-2 win for Game 1, and needing 12 innings to win Game by the score of 6-5. The Dodgers would go on to defeat the White Sox (who won their first AL pennant since the Black Sox Scandal 40 years ago, and would have to wait another 46 years before their next one) in the World Series in six games.

1962 NL (Giants) The Giants finished the season tied for first with the Dodgers (who won the flag just three year prior) with the third place Reds just 3 1/2 games back. Once again, the Dodgers won the coin toss for home field advantage and once again it did not help the Dodgers. The Giants blew away the Dodgers in the first game 8-0, but the Dodgers did not quit and won the second game 8-7. The third game of this pennant playoff occurred exactly 11 years after Bobby Thomson's Shot Heard 'Round the World, with the Giants once again victorious with the help of four runs in the ninth inning good for a 6-4 win.

1964 NL (Cardinals) With a 6 1/2 game lead over the second place Reds with 12 games left, the Phillies were so sure they had the flag wrapped up that they went ahead and printed up World Series tickets. But you know that saying about counting your chickens before they hatch? Well, the Phillies went on a ten game losing streak (the first seven of which at home!). The Phillies were already dropped to second place when they played their final three game series, and lost all three games to the team that did win the pennant--to the previously third place Cardinals.

1967 AL (Red Sox) After previously having losing seasons the past eight years, the Red Sox won their first AL pennant in over 20 years. But it sure didn't come easy. In what is arguably one of the tightest pennant races ever, there were four teams (out of ten) still mathematically in the pennant race with a week left in the season! These teams were the White Sox, Tigers, and Twins. The White Sox were the first to be eliminated after being swept by the Senators (yikes!) On September 29, the Red Sox and Twins were tied with the Tigers a mere 1/2 game back. This set up a final regular season game between the Red Sox and Twins on October 1. Though the Red Sox beat the Twins 5-3 to eliminate them, they weren't quite done yet. They still needed some help from the Angels who beat the Tigers in the last game of their doubleheader to avoid a one game playoff and clinch the flag for the BoSox outright.

1973 NL West (Mets) Just four years after their magical 1969 Miracle Mets season, the Mets won the league championship yet again (but this time lost to the Oakland Athletics in the World Series--the second of three straight World Series crowns for those A's). In one of the most improbable races ever, the Mets started out in first place with a 12-8 record, but injuries caused the Mets to fall into the cellar on July but only 7 1/2 games out of first. At the end of August, they were still in last place, but this time a mere 5 1/2 games out of first! The Mets managed to get back up into fourth place just three games out of first but with the Cardinals, Pirates, and Expos still ahead. With the help of a three game sweep of the Pirates at Shea Stadium on September 21, the Mets' record was only .500, but good enough for first place! They would finish the season 83-79 (.509); the lowest of any league/division champion in MLB history, with the Cardinals finishing second just 1 1/2 games back, Pirates 2 1/2 games back, Expos 3 1/2 games back, and even the next to last place Cubs were just five games out of first. This is undoubtedly the weakest overall league/division ever prior to 1994.

1978 AL East (Yankees) Hungry for another playoff appearance 14 years after their magical 1967 season, it looked like the Red Sox were well on their way to the division crown sitting pretty with a 14 game lead in mid July. But the defending World Champion Yankees (who had just fired Billy Martin as manager, the first of about a dozen times it seems like) weren't just going to sit there and take it. They went on a 39-14 run, with the help of a four game sweep at Fenway in early September, outscoring the BoSox 42-9 in that series (which forever came to be known in sports lore as the Boston Massacre). With seven games left to go and a one game lead, the Yankees won six out of seven. But the Red Sox managed to win all seven to force a one game playoff at Fenway. Trailing by two runs in the top of the 7th, Bucky Dent went up to bat and even though he only hit four home runs the entire season, he sure saved his fifth one for when it really counted--it was a three run tater over the Green Monster to give the Yankees a 3-2, which the Red Sox were not able to answer. The Yankees won the division and went on to repeat as World Champions.

1980 NL West (Astros) The Astros and Dodgers finished the season tied for first with the third place Reds finishing 3 1/2 games out of first. And yes, once again the Dodgers won the coin toss for home field advantage (but this time it was a single game playoff). But to get there, the Dodgers played their final regular season series against the first place Astros, three games behind. Only a sweep of the series would prevent the Astros from clinching outright, and the Dodgers did complete the sweep to set up the one game playoff. The Astros however, very much wanting to avoid such an embarrassing collapse, beat the Dodgers in that one game playoff 7-1 to win their first ever championship of any kind. They would go on to lose to the Phillies (who just so happened to win their division by only one game) in the NLCS in the full five games.

1987 AL East (Tigers) The Tigers started the year 11-19 and were, in last place, 9 games back (they trailed by as many as 11 games by May 5!) . They came roaring (pun intended) back to close to within half a game in the final 11 games of the season. They headed to Toronto for 4 and lost 3 of 4 to drop to 2.5 back. A 4-game split with Baltimore brought them to 1 game back with the division on the line in a 3-game series in Detroit. Doyle Alexander continued his perfect streak in the first to tie up the division, both teams at 96-64. Detroit won the next, a 12-inning classic, to go up 1 game. Game 162, with a playoff in the balance, went to Detroit with Larry Herndon hitting a 2nd inning HR - one of just 3 Detroit hits - to give the Tigers all the scoring they'd need as Frank Tanana pitched an absolute gem, a complete game 6-hit shutout.
(special thanks to Tabe for this one)

1993 NL West (Braves) After a commanding 33-18 start, the Giants looked like they would run away with the division title holding a 10 game lead over the two time defending NL Champion Atlanta Braves in July 28. But the Braves would slowly but surely chip away at it, and ended up four games behind the Braves with 17 games left to go. But the Giants overcame that deficit and had 103 wins on Oct 2, with the Braves and Giants tied with one game left to go. The Braves won their game over the Rockies 4-3 to clinch at least a tie. But the Giants were no match for the Dodgers, and lost 12-1 in their final game to clinch the division for the Braves outright. When the new three division/wild card format was announced for the 1994 season, the Giants manager remarked "one year too late..." This could be called the last great pennant race.

More to come!
WISHLIST
Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars

Comments

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    1908 National League should be on the list. 1967 A.L. is the best one that I was aware of at the time. 1964 N.L., 1978 A.L. East, and 1993 N.L. West were terrific as well- as you noted.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Even though the division's winning percentages were horrible, the 1973 NL East pennant race came right down to the end, with even the fifth place team (the Cubs) finishing only five games out.

As late as September 22, 1973, five of the six teams in the division were within 2.5 games of the top.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Read Summer of '49 by David Halberstam. That one should make the list.
  • Options
    Ive always considered 1908 at the top.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    MantleMarisFordBerraMantleMarisFordBerra Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Read Summer of '49 by David Halberstam. That one should make the list. >>

That was my very first thought as well. Yankees vs Red Sox coming down to the final series of the season...DiMaggio vs Williams. It doesn't get any better than that!! And yes , there was a (fantastic)book written about it. "The Summer of '49". Great baseball book about one of the greatest pennant raves of all time!
  • Options
    While I agree no single race can ever match the best from before the wildcard, what we see know is multiple good races going down to the final week. The 2007 NL pennant race was very good. Good chance sometime in this upcoming decade we'll see both leagues put together something close like that to make the claim as the best the sport has seen
    Tom
  • Options

<< <i>The 2007 NL pennant race was very good. Good chance sometime in this upcoming decade we'll see both leagues put together something close like that to make the claim as the best the sport has seen >>

Like I said before in the original post, after 1993 there were no more pennant races. There's a major MAJOR difference between winning the league or division championship with no wild cards to fall back on as opposed to merely qualifying for the playoffs. Back then, winning the league/division championship was truly special. In fact, my grandpa once told me that they actually put more emphasis on winning the league pennant than the world championship--after all, the league championship took a full 154/162 game season to decide, while the World Series was just a best-of-seven icing on the cake for the winner.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    1948 Cleveland /Boston
    1950 Philly/Brooklyn
    1951 Giants/Dodgers
    1959 Dodgers/Braves
    1967 Tigers/Boston/Twins
    1964 Phillies/Cards
    1945 Detroit/Washington
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Okay folks, I added the requested 1908 NL race (I can't believe I overlooked that one) and the very fascinating 1973 NL East race. I also (like promised) gave an automatic inclusion for every time a pennant playoff was needed.

And here's a very fascinating bit of trivia regarding home field advantage for the pennant playoffs (I included this in the original message also). For the National League, the Dodgers were involved in every NL pennant/division playoff (there were five; 1946, 1951, 1959, 1962, 1980) and won the coin toss for home field advantage every time, but yet they only won the pennant playoff ONCE (1959). For 1951 however, they chose to defer home field advantage (more on that later). As for the American League, they only needed a pennant playoff twice (1948, 1978), with the Red Sox involved in both, and incredibly, like the Dodgers, won the coin toss for home field advantage both times, and LOST both times! Remember, I'm only counting prior to 1994.

I also want to include a pennant race from the 1800s; what was the best pennant race ever from the 19th century?
    WISHLIST
  • Options

<< <i>I also want to include a pennant race from the 1800s; what was the best pennant race ever from the 19th century? >>

The 1897 pennant race between the Boston Beaneaters and the Baltimore Orioles was one of the better ones, as was the 1889 race between those Beaneaters and the New York Giants.
  • Options

<< <i>There's a major MAJOR difference between winning the league or division championship with no wild cards to fall back on as opposed to merely qualifying for the playoffs >>

And there is a MAJOR difference between having every playoff team decided in August half the time as opposed to having at least one race lead to the final weekend every year. And for every year where there was a good pennant race before the wildcard, there are now years with multiple ones
    Tom
  • Options
    As most of you know, the baseball writer/commentator who HATES the wild card more than any other (and has since the beginning) was Bob Costas. In fact, he even pointed out how absurd it'd be if the 1951 NL race ended something like this:

THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!! THE DODGERS GET THE WILD CARD!! THE DODGERS GET THE WILD CARD!!

Now, here's what Mr. Costas says would be a better solution that would preserve true pennant races. Have only the three division winners qualify, with the team with the best league record receiving an automatic bid into the LCS (and home field advantage for it) to take on the winner of the second and third place division winners; the second best record would of course get home field for that series. This way, they're not only true pennant races, but even after clinching the division, you still have incentive to go for second place in the league (to get home field in the divisional series) and first place (for the bye AND home field advantage). He also says that the Houston Astros (I forget why he picked them of all teams) should move to the AL West to make all the divisions even. It was said that they couldn't make the divisions even because it would mean an interleague game every day or every other day or something--to which Mr. Costas bluntly replies, "So?"

I think I could go with that. OR, expand to 32 teams with four four team divisions in each league (like the NFL) and only the division winners qualify.
    WISHLIST
  • Options

<< <i>He also says that the Houston Astros (I forget why he picked them of all teams) should move to the AL West to make all the divisions even. >>

Well, you have six teams in the NL Central and four in the AL West. The logical answer would be to move one team from the NL Central to the AL West, and Houston is the westernmost of those six cities. It would also make a nice, natural intrastate divisional rivalry with the Rangers.
  • Options
    True but in all other cases, when a big city (NY, CHI, LA, SF/OAK) or state has two teams they're each in separate leagues. That's a relatively minor problem though I'd think.
    WISHLIST
  • Options

<< <i>True but in all other cases, when a big city (NY, CHI, LA, SF/OAK) or state has two teams they're each in separate leagues. That's a relatively minor problem though I'd think. >>

But Houston and DFW are a four hour drive apart.

Contrast that to, say, the Dodgers and Padres being in the same division despite being only about two hours apart (absent heavy SoCal traffic). Or the Brewers and Cubs, for that matter -- different states but even closer distance-wise.

And as for states with two teams always being in separate leagues, I present the Phillies and Pirates as a counterexample. Until realignment to six MLB divisions they were in the same division.
  • Options
    I guess I stand corrected. If two NL clubs are good enough for Pennsylvania, so too are two AL clubs for Texas.
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    Any other great pennant races (remember nothing in the wild card era please) that belong on this list? For example, am I missing any where the second place team finished only one game (or even 1/2 a game!) behind?
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about the 1987 AL East? The Tigers started the year 11-19 and were, in last place, 9 games back (they trailed by as many as 11 games by May 5!) . They came roaring (pun intended) back to close to within half a game in the final 11 games of the season. They headed to Toronto for 4 and lost 3 of 4 to drop to 2.5 back. A 4-game split with Baltimore brought them to 1 game back with the division on the line in a 3-game series in Detroit. Doyle Alexander continued his perfect streak in the first to tie up the division, both teams at 96-64. Detroit won the next, a 12-inning classic, to go up 1 game. Game 162, with a playoff in the balance, went to Detroit with Larry Herndon hitting a 2nd inning HR - one of just 3 Detroit hits - to give the Tigers all the scoring they'd need as Frank Tanana pitched an absolute gem, a complete game 6-hit shutout.

Tabe
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure you have a reason for stating (nothing after 1993!!), by doing so, you then elimnated what is considered to be the greatest comeback of all time by the Red Sox against the Yankees in the 2004 series. Easily googled facts will show a truly Herculean comeback by the Red Sox after the Yankees dominated in the first three ALCS games, the third game being a crushing 19-8 defeat in Fenway. Games 4 and 5 were some of the most exciting baseball ever witnessed, both going extra innnings and won in dramatic fashion, especially game 4 with the Yankees up by one run in the 9th inning! Dave Roberts steals second, Bill Mueller singles off MARIANO, game tied, Ortiz wins it with a homer...doesn't get any better than that with so much on the line, win it or go home. The Red Sox then go on to win the next 7 games in a row...to win their first WS in 86 years...certainly more than worthy of an addition to your list!

The Red Sox set a Major League postseason record by becoming the first team to win eight straight postseason games in the same postseason (four straight in the ALCS and four consecutive games in the World Series). The Oakland Athletics had won ten straight postseason games but they were spread out over two postseasons (the 1989 ALCS and World Series, and the 1990 ALCS). The New York Yankees won eleven straight games also over two consecutive postseasons (the 1998 ALCS and World Series through the 1999 ALDS and into the 1999 ALCS). The 2005 Chicago White Sox repeated this feat with the same four straight in the ALCS, and four straight sweep of the World Series.

The Red Sox became the first team in MLB history to lose the first three games of a best-of-seven series [ALCS] and win the last four games of the series.
    Game 3 was the longest nine-inning postseason game in history, a 4 hour and 20 minute contest.

David Ortiz became the first player to hit two walk-off HRs in the same postseason, 2004 American League Division Series Game 3 and 2004 ALCS Game 4.

All this from a Wild Card.

If you are gonna go back to 1908, surely you cannot cherry pick and eliminate this incredible season ending miracle by the Boston Red Sox. And, yes, I'm a Red Sox fan, but I would have added them to your list anyway. No team will ever match this performance in our lifetime, or perhaps ever.
  • Options
    But what does that have to do with pennant races or even qualifing for the playoffs? There's no "cherry picking" involved; 1876-1993 covers almost 120 years. Yes, I am very much well aware that the classic ALCS's of 2003 and 2004 (my wife is from greater Boston and naturally is a big time BoSox fan; she was at Fenway when Yaz got his 3000th hit) would not have been possible without wild cards. But still, aren't you forgetting all about the classic 1967 and 1978 races (which the BoSox were in both; one on the good side and one on the bad side) that wouldn't have been nearly as special had their been a wild card to fall back on? It goes both ways.

I just simply don't think it can truly be called a pennant race if there's wild cards involved. Of course, we can always do another thread celebrating the greatest division/wild card races from 1994-onward; but the purpose of this one is to focus on the REAL pennant races.

Also, special thanks to Tabe for mentioning the 1987 AL West race (as I only had one race from the 1980s); it's now on the list.
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Myopic
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Also, special thanks to Tabe for mentioning the 1987 AL West race (as I only had one race from the 1980s); it's now on the list. >>

AL EAST. AL EAST!!!!!

C'mon man image

Tabe
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just simply don't think it can truly be called a pennant race if there's wild cards involved. Of course, we can always do another thread celebrating the greatest division/wild card races from 1994-onward; but the purpose of this one is to focus on the REAL pennant races. >>

Just off the top of my head, I can think of 4 recent years where the NLC or NL WC teams were decided on the last day of the season. But guess under your rules, those weren't REAL pennant races.

Sigh.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

1969 ended my active duty in the USAF. Coming home to Queens, NY, just in time to witness the 1969 Miracle Mets run, was my favorite "greatest pennant race"!

It was the first season of divisional play, and the Cubs had a 9.5-game lead on August 14 in the new National League East.
    But 13 days later the red-hot Mets had pulled within two, and they won the division by eight. The Cubs lost 14 of their final 20, and New York went on to win the World Series. (credit espn).

Man-o-man, those Cubbies never catch a break! image

rd

P.S. I know the '69 NL East was outside your rules. But I had to list the Mets anyway! LOL!
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    "1993 NL West (Braves) After a commanding 33-18 start, the Giants looked like they would run away with the division title holding a 10 game lead over the two time defending NL Champion Atlanta Braves in July 28. But the Braves would slowly but surely chip away at it, and ended up four games behind the Braves with 17 games left to go. But the Giants overcame that deficit and had 103 wins on Oct 2, with the Braves and Giants tied with one game left to go. The Braves won their game over the Rockies 4-3 to clinch at least a tie. But the Giants were no match for the Dodgers, and lost 12-1 in their final game to clinch the division for the Braves outright. When the new three division/wild card format was announced for the 1994 season, the Giants manager remarked "one year too late..." This could be called the last great pennant race"

i remember most of that season. the Rockies were virgins and the Braves went something like 12 or 13-0 against the Rockies.
    Will Clark and Robby Thompson were both going to be free agents. i sat next to a couple of Red Sox scouts the night Thompson got the ball in his head and Clark hit the GWHR...with his parents a few rows back. The scouts were wondering if the Giants would resign Will or Robby, it was obvious that both were not going to stay. Dusty went with the wild and unpredicatble Salomon Torres in the "forgettable" game.

BTW MLB today is taking over operations of the Los Angeles Dodgers
  • Options

<< <i>

P.S. I know the '69 NL East was outside your rules. But I had to list the Mets anyway! LOL! >>

How is that "outside my rules"? My only ground rule was that it had to be before 1994. Though I am considering doing a separate thread about the greatest division/wild card races (or whatever the right term is, since they're no longer pennant races) of 1994 onward.
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

P.S. I know the '69 NL East was outside your rules. But I had to list the Mets anyway! LOL! >>

How is that "outside my rules"? My only ground rule was that it had to be before 1994. Though I am considering doing a separate thread about the greatest division/wild card races (or whatever the right term is, since they're no longer pennant races) of 1994 onward. >>

I thought with no other team "showing-up down the stretch", it was a "one horse race". (as the Mets left the Cubbies and the rest "in their wake").

Ok, no rules! It was before 1994, sorry!

rd
  • Options
    DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭
    I was eight years old in 1964, and following baseball for the first time. The collapse of the Phillies scarred me for life. And then I moved to Boston in time for 1978, 1986, and 2003. The next year was pretty good though.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who do not.

• Options
    Any others that belong on this list? At some point soon (by popular demand) I'll do a separate thread about the greatest division/wild card races from 1995 onward (obviously I'll start with the 1995 AL West race).
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    By popular demand, I made another topic highlighting the best division/wild card races from 1995 onward; enjoy! image
    WISHLIST
  • Options

I thought in light of this being the 25th anniversary of the modern three division/wild card format I'd bring this back up...what are some other great pennant races (remember real ones from 1993 on back, no wild cards, win division/pennant or go home) in MLB history?

As for that fake one-game playoff eh, sorry "wild card game", I think that is among the stupidest things ever (especially when it comes the year after we get among the greatest wild card races ever in both leagues at the same time; at least in both cases it was wild card or go home, right?)...though I concede it does make winning the divisions more important AND as Bob Costas suggested in his Fair Ball book, the team in each league with the best record DOES get home field in the LDS (no not the church) and LCS.

WISHLIST
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just read through this thread. I wasn't here for it originally. Amazing stuff! Thank you for putting it together.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a great read!

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1964 NL pennant race since I am a Cardinal fan
    rates very high with me!!!

• Options

I checked this book out at my local library a few times and now that it's available for virtual checkout at archive.org (happy 25th anniversary!) I thought I'd show the rest of you:

https://archive.org/details/sportingnewssele0000reid_u2m5

I guess that was my original inspiration for this topic in the first place. Are we really approaching the 30th anniversary of the last true pennant race (1993 NL West)?

WISHLIST
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2021 6:10PM

1967 American League. You are welcome. Tigers/ Red Sox/ Twins down to the last day. No divisions. Do or die. I was six that year and listened to as many games as I could under my blankets after bedtime with my red transistor hand held radio. I was so hooked

With six weeks left 4 teams tied for first

https://www.amazon.com/1967-American-League-Pennant-Race/dp/1476672962

Final standings

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

^This^

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

78 AL East for me. Bucky "Pop Tart" Dent! :)

• Options

@bobbybakeriv said:

Where my dearly departed wife is from it's more like Bucky bleeping Dent!

WISHLIST
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

1981 Cincinnati Reds. Best overall season winning percentage and did not make the playoffs.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

@Estil said:

@bobbybakeriv said:

Where my dearly departed wife is from it's more like Bucky bleeping Dent!

Oh I know. Bucky "effing" Dent. LOL

• Options

@Alfonz24 said:
    1981 Cincinnati Reds. Best overall season winning percentage and did not make the playoffs.

Yeah, the sure picked the wrong year to do that! Did any NFL team similarly get burned because a strike (or lockout) caused the 1982 NFL playoffs to end up all weird as well?

WISHLIST
  • Options
    JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

My fave was probably 1985 NL East, great race with the Mets falling just short of the Cardinals.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1951 Shot heard around the world was epic, tough to beat that in my opinion

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 1962, I listened to Giants on the radio like only a third grader can who's addicted to beesa- ball. Russ Hodges ( who called the 51 shot heard round the world) and Lon Simmons was his co-announcer. I grew up with them. When you listen to the Thompson shot or Mays catch against Cleveland it's Hodges voice. As good as any announcers that lived. Except maybe John Miller for the Giants. Listen to Miller doing an impression of a Japanese Vin Scully on YouTube before it gets 'woked'. ROFL.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not see 1938... and it was worthy of inclusion. Cubs -Pirates and legendary Cubs catcher Gabby Hartnett's Homer in the gloamin'

For the Cub fans at Wrigley... it was an amazing event and should never be overlooked as time passes

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

91 braves! From worst to First!

• Options

@Historicalwood71 said:

They did in fact finish just one game ahead of the Dodgers. Have I (or the others here) left out any other pennant (pre-1969) or division (1969-93) races in which the winner was one game or less ahead of the runner-up?

WISHLIST
  • Options

@Estil said:

@Historicalwood71 said:

They did in fact finish just one game ahead of the Dodgers. Have I (or the others here) left out any other pennant (pre-1969) or division (1969-93) races in which the winner was one game or less ahead of the runner-up?

Lol I wish I could remember buddy lol. I'm sure some... But I'd have to look it up. Lol good stuff man! 👍

• Options

@Estil said:

@Historicalwood71 said:

I have a ball signed in person from Bobby Thompson.... " The shot heard around the world 🌍!" Lol, he put that on the ball also. Giants won the pennant... Giants won... Lol