Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

"Colorless set" coming for MATTE PROOF Lincoln Cents

BJ has told me she will put it up this week!

Thank you to BJ and PCGS!
Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also just heard PCGS will be releasing the 1932-1998 MS Washington Quarter set. That should be a very popular set for those wishing to stop at 1998 and not pursue the state quarters, territory quarters, national parks, etc.

Thank you again to BJ and PCGS!

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brian, I hate to think it...but that almost seems like a value killer for the Reds, what do you think?

Of course, on the other hand, it should ZOOM prices up on the ones with great colors, eh?
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Brian, I hate to think it...but that almost seems like a value killer for the Reds, what do you think?

Of course, on the other hand, it should ZOOM prices up on the ones with great colors, eh? >>

No, I don't think that will happen.

The collectors that like the Reds will still buy the Reds and same for the RB/BN group. It just levels the playing field for anyone who wants to come over and put their set up in the colorless category. It will give more opportunity for the RB/BN collector's as they now have a chance at the higher rankings.
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    Good. Original Reds have their beauty, and should be judged accordingly.

Great colors ALSO have their beauty and should be rewarded for that also.image
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    I think it will have little effect on prices for any color designation.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeeeee-hawwwwww!!!!!
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys are not going to be happy until they come up with a "toned" scale add on by which you can try to rank your sets with the others. "Colorless" is the exact opposite of what you are wanting.
    Doug
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You guys are not going to be happy until they come up with a "toned" scale add on by which you can try to rank your sets with the others. "Colorless" is the exact opposite of what you are wanting. >>

I don't think so,

Here is PCGS's description of a "Colorless Set" for Lincoln Cents. I think this is what these guys are looking for.

"Grade matters in this set, not color. Compete here with your beautiful Brown and Red Brown Lincoln Cents. No bonus points are given for color!"
  • Options
    I just hope that everyone who participates in this set is able to post images on their registry. Nothing is more boring that a registry set without pictures, and even more so with one designed specifically to highlight eye appeal.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Colorless" is the exact opposite of what you are wanting. >>

I don't know, Doug. Based on the description of other colorless sets, this sounds like exactly what we've been asking for all along! image

Don't worry. Everybody knows that the real kings of the registry will always be the classic sets where RED commands bonus points. This is just a level playing field for those of us that actually PREFER beautifully toned BN and RB coins.
  • Options
    Red is Nice,

But, RED GREEN is nicer!!!!

imageimage
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was not a criticism, just an observation. You guys want the color recognized, right? I don't have any problem with that, and enjoy toned Lincolns for what they are. I'm just saying "colorless" is not really what people are shooting for ...
    Doug
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Don't worry. Everybody knows that the real kings of the registry will always be the classic sets where RED commands bonus points. This is just a level playing field for those of us that actually PREFER beautifully toned BN and RB coins. >>

I understand that a "colorless" set that doesn't give a bonus for RB or RD sort of levels the field. But since PCGS pretty much only gives the RD coins the top grades of 68 and up, not sure it levels any playing field at all. The top guys in the regular set will be the top guys in this "colorless" set as well if they choose to list their sets. Maybe I'm not understanding the colorless set correctly though????
  • Options
    I understand that a "colorless" set that doesn't give a bonus for RB or RD sort of levels the field. But since PCGS pretty much only gives the RD coins the top grades of 68 and up, not sure it levels any playing field at all. The top guys in the regular set will be the top guys in this "colorless" set as well if they choose to list their sets. Maybe I'm not understanding the colorless set correctly though????

Michael:
    That is not exactly accurate, the "coloeless" Registry Set will most likely mean a non-red MPL Registry Set will be the number one Registry Set, at least under my math.
    Jonathan
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I understand that a "colorless" set that doesn't give a bonus for RB or RD sort of levels the field. But since PCGS pretty much only gives the RD coins the top grades of 68 and up, not sure it levels any playing field at all. The top guys in the regular set will be the top guys in this "colorless" set as well if they choose to list their sets. Maybe I'm not understanding the colorless set correctly though????

Michael:
    That is not exactly accurate, the "coloeless" Registry Set will most likely mean a non-red MPL Registry Set will be the number one Registry Set, at least under my math.
    Jonathan >>

Fair enough... I hadn't really looked at the pop reports and I just assumed there were many more PR68RD examples out there at the very top which I now see is not the case. I was thinking it would be comparable to the mint state examples of wheaties where there are lots of MS68RDs which would always beat out the best RB or BN examples, even without an RD bonus. In looking at the pop reports a little closer I now see mattes are a little different and understand the appeal of the "colorless" sets. image
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Instead of calling this new Set Registry the MPL Colorless set, why not call it the MPL Colorful set? Also, why not give bonus points for beautiful NATURAL toning of green, blue, amber, crimsom, etc. Let's face it, the INTENT of this new set is NOT to have a "regular" red/brown or 95%+ brown MPL with "no color" in PR66BN be included. At least that is my opinion. What do you think? Steveimage
  • Options
    Good Names for the set:
    Matte Proofs With a hint of Brown
    Toned Matte Proofs

Bad Names for the set:
    Tarnished Matte Proofs
    Oxidized Matte Proofs
  • Options
    Eye Appeal MPLs
  • Options
    CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭
    I like proofcents and ambro's suggestion of something like "toned MPL's".

The playing field will be much more uneven in MS sets than MPL. There is usually at least one full number grade disparity between the highest grades RD coin and highest graded BN coin, often two points.
    I'd like my copper well done please!
  • Options
    It would make life perhaps easier if there were a way to quantify and describe toning the way we do full bands/steps/head, prooflike/DMPL, red/brown/red-brown, and so forth. It would certainly help clarify some of the zany price differences between a rainbow-colored common date, common grade Morgan dollar and its plain white fraternal twin.

But, I'm kind of glad there isn't. Toning is one of those things that reminds us that coins are unique.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Maybe someone could get PCGS to develop a UNIQUE "eye appeal" system just for the nine MPL coins that would give bonuses for eye appealing toning colors. The problem with the new "Colorless set" criteria is the limitation of existing RB & BN colors within the regular existing grades. There is no way the "numbers" (ie) GPA can approach the TOP SETS in the regular MPL set registry. If the intent is to identify and recognize the beauty of naturally toned MPL's so that they truly COMPETE with existing all red high grade MPL's, the only way to do that is to create some kind of eye appeal system that recognizes colorful toning. JMHO. Steveimage
  • Options
    Price? image