Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1956 Topps Set Trading, Pricing and Sales

It has been a long time I've seen a new post regarding what I consider the greatest Topps Baseball card set ever made. I also wanted to bring attention to the lack of complete coverage in regards to pricing with the set. Just tonight a bought the 1956 Topps Preston Ward #328 in PSA 8 condition. I've been chasing the card for weeks, finally I have won an auction for the card on Ebay. My question is the lack of coverage on the card in both the SMR and Beckett Graded guide. This card commonly goes for $120-$180 easy. Instead of me turning the post into a complaint post I decided its time I spend time making use of emails, pricing posts and alike on both the PSA set and Beckett sites to correct the issue.

Just 6 months back I decided to pursue the set in PSA 8 condition, I'm beginning to realize this may be a pipe dream, thus I've curtailed my desires to a PSA 6-8.5 level, trying to make most commons PSA 8 and above and some minor stars and most main stars to PSA 7 and the high priced stars Mantle, Williams and alike to 6.5 and below.

If you buy cards to fill out the set post your sales info, ebay auction, card shows etc. To give collectors street level info on pickups. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    sultanoswat,

Nice to have you on board with the 56s. I think it is one of the most popular vintage sets out there. Take a look at the registry and see how many folks are working on it. There is a separate thread that was started a few years back on this set. I will find it and post a welcome to you so you can see it and post there. Many of the guys have posted pics of their cards and it is a good read.

Jeff

PS...I am about 90% complete at this point and have about 20 doubles including stars ranging from psa 6 to 8. I can get you a list if interested.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Vintage Card Prices

Get yourself a 1-day membership to check it out. Once you look through the information for the set you're working on, you'll never even glance at SMR or Beckett pricing again.

[This has been an unpaid advertisement for VCP--unless someone pays me, then please ignore the previous announcement]
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    Sultan,
    I would re-think your decision to collect the stars in lower grade than the commons. The commons "should" always go down in price, except for the rare hard to find ones. The star cards should hold better value and possibly even go up in NM/MT and above condition. I just am speaking from personal trials and errors that you will start getting upset looking at NM/MT commons and EX/MT stars. Good luck.

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It has been a long time I've seen a new post regarding what I consider the greatest Topps Baseball card set ever made. I also wanted to bring attention to the lack of complete coverage in regards to pricing with the set. Just tonight a bought the 1956 Topps Preston Ward #328 in PSA 8 condition. I've been chasing the card for weeks, finally I have won an auction for the card on Ebay. My question is the lack of coverage on the card in both the SMR and Beckett Graded guide. This card commonly goes for $120-$180 easy. Instead of me turning the post into a complaint post I decided its time I spend time making use of emails, pricing posts and alike on both the PSA set and Beckett sites to correct the issue.

Just 6 months back I decided to pursue the set in PSA 8 condition, I'm beginning to realize this may be a pipe dream, thus I've curtailed my desires to a PSA 6-8.5 level, trying to make most commons PSA 8 and above and some minor stars and most main stars to PSA 7 and the high priced stars Mantle, Williams and alike to 6.5 and below.

If you buy cards to fill out the set post your sales info, ebay auction, card shows etc. To give collectors street level info on pickups. Thanks >>

I see Jeff has bumped the 56 thread already. Some good info there that you should find interesting.

The pop reports may not agree, but I think the Ward is one of the 5 toughest cards in the set. In the Steve Novella set break recently, after losing out on the Mitchell, I put in what I considered a ridiculous bid on a beautiful PSA 8 Ward. I bid double the VCP average and still lost.

As Bob mentions, VCP is the way to go. In addition to actual realized auction prices, pictures of the cards are available to help determine the outliers.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973