Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Close to Perfect Lincoln Memorial Set going to Auction

Hello All,

For those interested in the Lincoln Memorial series, I wanted to let everyone know that my Lincoln Memorial set is going on the auction block. It will be offered at the Bowers and Merena auction held in conjunction with the Baltimore Coin Show in June. I'm not sure of the exact date and time yet, and I will update this post when that info is available.

This set includes about 85% POP Top coins, and is the result of about seven years of work. Over the years, I've combined four complete sets, picking the best coins each time, and searched countless individual coins for improvements. In most cases, I've had to opportunity to see and choose the best of five or six coins of the same grade and choose what I thought was the best. In cases where the POP is five or less, I think I've seen all but Gerry's coins in most cases, and been able to choose the best. Early last year, I had the chance to cherry pick the S & L Memorial set before it went to auction, and that really took my set to where it stands today. I'm very proud of each coin in the set, and I really feel that completed the set. I was able to upgrade a few coins, and replace several that I wasn't happy with.

Recently, along with my wife and son, we opened a new business, and it is wildly successful. We are very blessed, and it has opened opportunities that require more capital, and I have decided it is time to part with my Memorials. Like I said before, I kind of felt I had "finished" the set last year, and it's time to let them go to others to enjoy. I need to thank one of my best friends, Andy Skrabalak, and of course, his wonderful wife Alynne, for getting me into Memorials in the first place, and Gerry, for his immense help. I never could have built this set without these great folks. There is a thread on the board right now about Angel Dee's, and as I've said before, there are no better people than Andy and Alynne, inside or outside the coin world. Thanks guys!

I will post again when I know more details about the sale, but as a couple people have noticed I retired the set, I thought I better let everyone know what was up. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me and I'll answer any questions.

Best Regards,

Dan Close

Comments

• Options
    Wish you the best Dan. image
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good Deal Dan, Im sure that will cement the values of the Mems for quite some time..Tell me, are you going to be a "shield guy" now?
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck, Dan!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    Wow! What a great auction for any Memorial collector to paticipate in. I already know what coins I'd like to bid on. Good luck on your auction, Dan.

RegistryNut image
  • Options
    I look forward to the sale
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That must be one heck of an eye appealing set to look at. No coins less than an MS 66, all but 6 or 7 coins being MS67 or higher.

To bad this set is not displayed at a major show before it is sold.

Great job in putting it together and hope you sell it for moon money.

• Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    excuse my ignorance ; but is it being sold as a set or individually ?
  • Options
    dcgolferdcgolfer Posts: 253 ✭✭
    Individually.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the best of everything on this image
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    The set is now up on the Bowers and Merena site for viewing and bidding. The live auction will take place on June 17, starting at 6 pm Eastern Time at the Baltimore Show. Good luck to those bidding!

Dan
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, I just went through the set ... beautiful!! You have really worked to get the right coins in place, even after your set was complete.
    Doug
  • Options
    Thanks Doug. I appreciate the nice comments!
  • Options
    Three more daysimage
  • Options
    Pre-bidding ending today at 5pm Eastern Time, followed by the live auction at 6pm in Baltimore and on the Bowers website.
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dan, Looks like the bidding was pretty strong. Are you happy with the sales results??? Shag
  • Options
    Yes Shag, I'm very happy with the results. Thanks to all the bidders and those who won coins. I hope my beloved Lincoln Memorials are happy in their new homes!

Dan
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes Shag, I'm very happy with the results. Thanks to all the bidders and those who won coins. I hope my beloved Lincoln Memorials are happy in their new homes!
    >>

I'm glad it worked out well for you.

This is an extremely underappreciated series. People tend to assume top notch coins are common
    just because most of them are common in gems but it doesn't work this way with the memorials.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    So what was the final outcome?

How much did the entire set bring (winning bids, plus buyer's premiums)?

Further, which individual coin brought the highest price and which one brought the lowest price?

Too bad this top notch set was sold off instead of remaining intact.

However, it will make buyers of the individual coins very happy to get such premium material for their sets.
  • Options
    I just looked at the auction results.

Fantastic results. Congratulations on the sale. You must be one happy camper.

The coins look great and will be welcome additions to the collections of the buyers.

This auction is a prime example of how brilliant the founders of PCGS were when they created it's business model.

By taking these memorial cents, evaluating same, assigning grades to same, encapsulating them in slabs, offering the PCGS guarantee, setting up the PCGS registry and making available for public viewing the Registry and the Price Guide, PCGS has created a cash cow [for itself, for dealers and for collectors].

Simply by understanding human nature and psychology [including the "desire to acquire/collect"; the "desire to acquire/collect/own"; and the desire to "show off"] PCGS has made the hobby a thing where ever increasing amounts of money are poured into it. This benefits all segments of the hobby.

The proof of the brilliance of PCGS is the auction results for the Memorial Cent collection. Without PCGS slabs around these coins (or NGC had they been slabbed by it), these coins would have not sold at all or would have sold for a few dollars each.

Amazing I say. Simply amazing.

Kudos to the seller, the buyers and PCGS.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>I just looked at the auction results.

Fantastic results. Congratulations on the sale. You must be one happy camper.

The coins look great and will be welcome additions to the collections of the buyers.

This auction is a prime example of how brilliant the founders of PCGS were when they created it's business model.

By taking these memorial cents, evaluating same, assigning grades to same, encapsulating them in slabs, offering the PCGS guarantee, setting up the PCGS registry and making available for public viewing the Registry and the Price Guide, PCGS has created a cash cow [for itself, for dealers and for collectors].

Simply by understanding human nature and psychology [including the "desire to acquire/collect"; the "desire to acquire/collect/own"; and the desire to "show off"] PCGS has made the hobby a thing where ever increasing amounts of money are poured into it. This benefits all segments of the hobby.

The proof of the brilliance of PCGS is the auction results for the Memorial Cent collection. Without PCGS slabs around these coins (or NGC had they been slabbed by it), these coins would have not sold at all or would have sold for a few dollars each.

Amazing I say. Simply amazing.

Kudos to the seller, the buyers and PCGS. >>

I agree with a lot of what you said. And I congratulate the seller and the winning bidders.

However, I don't necessarily agree with the following:

<<Simply by understanding human nature and psychology [including the "desire to acquire/collect"; the "desire to acquire/collect/own"; and the desire to "show off"] PCGS has made the hobby a thing where ever increasing amounts of money are poured into it. This benefits all segments of the hobby.>>

What about the collectors who have to pay a lot more for certain coins than they otherwise would? And are you sure that the hobby is necessarily better off by virtue of "where ever increasing amounts of money are poured into it"? I'm not even sure that you're talking about a "hobby".image
  • Options
    Point taken Mark.

Collectors who collect slabbed coins on a limited budget will be hampered in their quest for slabbed coins that have become more expensive. However, if they acquire such coins and thereafter the value increases, they can profit.

There is also collecting raw coins, which allows one to acquire really nice coins for modest money.

The thing about the hobby is that it is so broad and deep that it accomodates collectors and dealers and investors ranging from YN's on a strict budget to "Whales" who have virtually unlimited resources.

I guess my view is that the presence of PCGS, NGC and other TPG's in the hobby has, in many, many areas, made things better for most if not all hobby particpants.

Would you (or anyone else reading this thread) prefer to have the hobby return to the days where TPGs did not exist?

I would not for many reasons (mostly for the centralization of hobby knowledge and the dissemination of same that TPG forums have accomplished).

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The year was 1998... I met with R. Montgomery and M. Standish and presented a plan to "bulk grade" Memorial cents (along with my silver Roosies). Best I know, there was no such thing as "bulk grading" at the grading services at that time for modern coins (newer than a Walker). I was practically laughed out of the room that day (although I did get my "bulk grading" plan approved and started submitting large bulk lots of silver dimes). Look where things have come in 12 short years.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Dan!!!
    Doug
  • Options
    As I previously said, I'm very happy with the way the sale went. About 70% of the coins hit or surpassed reserves, and I have about 30 coins remaining. For anyone interested in what is remaining, the coins will be with Andy and Alynne at Angel Dees. Several have been sold since the auction ended, but there are still about 25 or so left, including some very nice very low POP coins. Please feel free to contact Andy or myself. Andy thinks he will have them up on his website in the next week or so.

Dan
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>Point taken Mark.

Collectors who collect slabbed coins on a limited budget will be hampered in their quest for slabbed coins that have become more expensive. However, if they acquire such coins and thereafter the value increases, they can profit.

There is also collecting raw coins, which allows one to acquire really nice coins for modest money.

The thing about the hobby is that it is so broad and deep that it accomodates collectors and dealers and investors ranging from YN's on a strict budget to "Whales" who have virtually unlimited resources.

I guess my view is that the presence of PCGS, NGC and other TPG's in the hobby has, in many, many areas, made things better for most if not all hobby particpants.

Would you (or anyone else reading this thread) prefer to have the hobby return to the days where TPGs did not exist?

I would not for many reasons (mostly for the centralization of hobby knowledge and the dissemination of same that TPG forums have accomplished). >>

While there are a number of aspects of the hobby and/or industry which I wish were different, no, I would not prefer the alternative which was presented prior to the inception of the top TPG's. image
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How did the MS70RDs do?