Home Sports Talk

No horse racing triple crown this year

Super Saver did not win the Preakness, Looking at Lucky was the winner.

32 years now since the last triple crown.

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Super Saver did not win the Preakness, Looking at Lucky was the winner.

32 years now since the last triple crown. >>

I was at Belmont Park for that last one - never thunk it would be at least another 33 years for the next one.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super Saver did not win the Preakness, Looking at Lucky was the winner.

I was at Belmont Park for that last one - never thunk it would be at least another 33 years for the next one.

Aren't you forgetting to mention that you were at Shea earlier that afternoon to watch the Mets, managed by none other than Joe Torre himself, lose to the Giants 2-1??

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>Super Saver did not win the Preakness, Looking at Lucky was the winner.

Aren't you forgetting to mention that you were at Shea earlier that afternoon to watch the Mets, managed by none other than Joe Torre himself, lose to the Giants 2-1?? >>

i wish i would have went to the game instead - I would have saved money. LOL
    < Super Saver did not win the Preakness, Looking at Lucky was the winner.

Aren't you forgetting to mention that you were at Shea earlier that afternoon to watch the Mets, managed by none other than Joe Torre himself, lose to the Giants 2-1?? >>

You thought Alydar was a stone cold mortal lock, huh, Steve?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>< Super Saver did not win the Preakness, Looking at Lucky was the winner.

You thought Alydar was a stone cold mortal lock, huh, Steve? >>

Maybe the only time I wasn't too unhappy after losing a big bet because it was such a great horse race to watch.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Man ... they were two AMAZING horses. Very much enjoyed watching all three of those races. If Alydar was born nine months later he probably would have been a Triple Crown winner himself.

What a shame the way he died ... all he gave to Calumet Farms and the damn owners (not sure if it was proven, but most agree) break his leg and then were force to put him down ... all to collect the insurance money.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

<< <i>Man ... they were two AMAZING horses. Very much enjoyed watching all three of those races. If Alydar was born nine months later he probably would have been a Triple Crown winner himself.

What a shame the way he died ... all he gave to Calumet Farms and the damn owners (not sure if it was proven, but most agree) break his leg and then were force to put him down ... all to collect the insurance money. >>

I wound up watching it on the Belmont TV screen just like those at home. I was there the previous year when Seattle Slew won the Triple Crown - I positioned myself right at the finish line around say 30 yards up on the ground floor with around 5 minutes to post. Then with about a minute to post a wall of people gathered round, and all I wound up seeing was a brief view of the horses crossing the finish line - virtually nothing else. The next year, I don't know why but I did the same thing, and with about a minute to post I said F* this to watching it live...I walked back inside the grandstand and watched it on the Belmont TV screen, and saw my bet on Alydar go down the drain. LOL
    BTW...Grote15 has mentioned numerous times that he was there that day in 1919 when Sir Barton won the first Triple Crown.
    BTW...Grote15 has mentioned numerous times that he was there that day in 1919 when Sir Barton won the first Triple Crown.

I was there, but wasn't old enough to wager at the window...that all changed when Gallant Fox won and I took my winnings to buy myself a model-T Ford...btw, the Phils were 52-102 that year, if memory serves...image

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>BTW...Grote15 has mentioned numerous times that he was there that day in 1919 when Sir Barton won the first Triple Crown.

I was there, but wasn't old enough to wager at the window...that all changed when Gallant Fox won and I took my winnings to buy myself a model-T Ford...btw, the Phils were 52-102 that year, if memory serves...image >>

Great response!!!!! LOL LETS GO METS!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heh, when I was a kid, I thought Triple Crowns were a dime a dozen with Seattle Slew and Affirmed in 1977 and 1978, preceded by Secretariat in 1973.