Home Sports Talk
Options

The "King" is dethroned once again, will he move to Chicago or New York?

Go to Chicago and live in the shadow of Michael Jordan and have everything you do be compared to him?
If that doesn't bother him why not?

The New York Knicks are a pathetic excuse for a team so success will take longer there.

Comments

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may depend on how much he likes lap dances! image

Seriously though...even though I can't really say I am a Knicks fan, I am a fan of the NBA in general and I would love to see him go to NY and bring some legitimacy back. The Knicks, just based on history and fan base should be a playoff team every year!!!!
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    he hasn't won anything or lifted his team to win, where ever he goes that team will still have their work cut out for them
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If he wants to win rings he'll go to Miami, but I don't think his ego could take sharing the spotlight with Wade.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He will go where he can have a sidekick. Does OKC have any cap room? image
  • Options
    let the ESPN talking heads have a field day!
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the incessant Lebron discussions will suck at a level equal to the incessant Favre discussions. image
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Hopefully he is smart and goes to a team that has some good players. If he wants a ring he can sign a 1 year deal with the C's.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about LeBron signing with the Lakers?

Kobe, LeBron, Gasol, a developing Bynum, Phil Jackson and Hollywood.

Assuming Kobe and LeBron could not let their egos get in the way, a long run of Championships could be headed to LA.

How about a starting line up of:

Kobe - shooting guard;

LeBron - small forward;

Gasol - center;

Odom - power forward; and

(Via a trade with Golden State that provides Golden State with Andrew Bynum, another frontline player and draft picks) - Stephan Curry - starting point guard.

Stephan Curry is going to be a Steve Nash, John Stockton, miniture Magic Johnson (without the rebouding and post up game) floor general type point guard. His rookie year was amazing and he will only get better. Having such a point guard feeding Kobe, LeBron, Gasol and Odom would basically render all other teams in the league also rans fighting for second place.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Lebron on the Lakers....Stop dreaming.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    He'll go wherever his ego takes him. Kind of morphing into the A-Rod of the NBA.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Ron,
    Arod.....that's pretty bad. I liked the whole Favre comparison. This could get frustrating. I actually like Lebron. I'm not sure there is one person whose favorite player is Arod. He's never been very likeable.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the incessant Lebron discussions will suck at a level equal to the incessant Favre discussions. image >>

One light -- he's going to da Bulls

Two lights -- he's going to the crummy Knicks

• Options

<< <i>He'll go wherever his ego takes him. Kind of morphing into the A-Rod of the NBA. >>

No, he will go wherever the fattest payday takes him. I laughed when the commentators
    were talking about his loyalty to Cleveland and he may stay there. His loyalty is to the
    green, nothing more.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Why does everyone always assume that he'll leave Cleveland? Cleveland had the best record in basketball this year. I think the east coast and west coast fans can't figure out why a guy would play in the midwest. That's exactly what's wrong with sports. The main reason I root for every NY and LA team in every sport to choke. I hope he re-signs a 10 year deal with Cleveland and the NY people can suck on it.

King Doesn't Need New York
    By Chris Broussard
    ESPN The Magazine

The notion that every player -- or at least every star player -- in the NBA wants to play in New York tickles me.

In the early 2000s, while a Knicks beat writer for The New York Times, I remember being baffled because many of my colleagues and readers thought every skilled free agent was headed to New York -- even though all the Knicks could offer such max-salary talent was the midlevel exception. They thought Grant Hill would leave Detroit for the Knicks (for less coin) and Chris Webber would spurn Sacramento for the Big Apple (and chump change).

Now, New York assumes it's getting LeBron James. At least the Knicks actually have the salary-cap space to pull this off. But while New York has a decent shot at LeBron, the idea that LeBron -- or any other great player -- needs New York or harbors this intense desire to play there is a joke.

LeBron, an endorsement king, is already the face of the NBA, despite being ringless in tiny Cleveland. The Internet and globalization have largely made where a player plays irrelevant in regard to marketing and popularity. So to suggest LeBron needs New York is nuts.

The only thing that can make him bigger is a title, not a town.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why does everyone always assume that he'll leave Cleveland? >>

because Lebron cares about Lebron. He will go wherever Lebron comes first. If it's Cleveland, so be it. He doesn't want to surround himself with others who think team first, his history of handling business and personal matters demonstrates that.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how LeBron, Kobe and MJ would get along if they were all playing in the NBA at the same time, on the same team and at the top of their careers [say all were 28-30 years old].

There would be some serious egos on the basketball court at the same time. It would make the Kobe-Shaq tension look tame.

Funny how some teams with great talent did not seem [publicly anyway] conflict between Superstars. For example, the Chicago Bulls with MJ and Pippen [though Pippen seemed to be ok being #2 on the team]; the Spurs with Duncan, Robinson and Ginobli; the Lakers with Magic and Kareem; the Celtics with Bird, McHale and Parrish; and the Rockets with Hakeem and Clyde Drexler.

Can't see any team with MJ, Kobe or LeBron doing well with a two superstars who both want to be hands down #1 with all his other teammates genuflecting before his locker.
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can't see any team with MJ, Kobe or LeBron doing well with a two superstars who both want to be hands down #1 with all his other teammates genuflecting before his locker. >>

These guys new their place, why would'nt Labron and Kobe.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>He'll go wherever his ego takes him. Kind of morphing into the A-Rod of the NBA. >>

No, he will go wherever the fattest payday takes him. I laughed when the commentators
    were talking about his loyalty to Cleveland and he may stay there. His loyalty is to the
    green, nothing more. >>

As opposed to the rest of the players in the NBA, NFL, and MLB who only play for the love of the game. Come on. Every guy chases the dollar and Lebron has never given anyone a reason to think he only chases money. If you don't like him, that's fine, but don't make stuff up about him to try to undermine his character.

Besides that, if you followed the NBA, you'd know that players are set to a max salary. He will make the same no matter where he goes, hence the reason that the Knicks are horrible. Unlike the joke that Baseball has become, the NBA has a good structure for balancing the league.

So again, NY people can suck on it. They can't just "buy" who they want.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    First of all he can't be a "The King" if he hasn't won anything.

I think Lebron needs to go with the team that gives him the best opportunity to win the Championship and Cleveland isn't the team. I hope he goes to a great franchise and still doesn't win for a while, unless its the Lakers.
  • Options

<< <i>Cleveland isn't the team >>

Someone tell me why Cleveland isn't the team? They had the best record in basketball this year. Better than the Lakers.
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496

<< <i>

Someone tell me why Cleveland isn't the team? They had the best record in basketball this year. Better than the Lakers. >>

Yeah and the Capitals had the best record in hockey this year.

Where are both teams right now?
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474

<< <i>Lebron on the Lakers....Stop dreaming. >>

Wilt Chamberlain on the Lakers……..stop dreaming …
    Kareem on the Lakers………….stop dreaming…….
    Shaq on the Lakers………stop dreaming….
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Someone tell me why Cleveland isn't the team? They had the best record in basketball this year. Better than the Lakers. >>

Because Cleveland was built for the regular season. The teams that have players like the Lakers or Celtics know how to elevate their game in the playoffs. Look at the Cav's roster and see how they really match up man to man against the Lakers, Celtics, Suns, or Magic. Once you go beyond Lebron who did they really have? Yes they do have Shaq, but he's not the guy from years past.

brian

• Options
    Yeah but so you trade a guy or two in the off season and they're a completely different team. Saying he can't win a championship with Cleveland is just dumb. If they were a team that couldn't make the playoffs, then I might agree with you. That would be wasted talent on a bad team, but the Cavs are really really good and kicked the snot out of almost everyone this year. They are literally one superstar away from being a 70 win team right now.

I get the feeling that most people saying that he should leave the Cavs, are people who just want him on their team and not really giving an objective opinion. I'm guessing 95% of New Yorkers say that he shouldn't be on the Cavs but probably only 50% of South Dakotans think so. It's just jealousy.
  • Options
    downtowndowntown Posts: 671 ✭✭✭
    I collect Seattle Pilots autographs, 1969 Topps autographs, Signed Mickey Mantle Home Run History cards and have a JC Martin collection (he was my college Baseball coach)
    Doug
  • Options
    lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    I have to say with what the Celtics are doing to the Magic right now IMO is showing Lebron that the Cavs aren't that far away. I think everyone along with the media are just riding this thing way too much. The Cavs aren't that bad......but they do need a scorer with playoff experience. I just guess we'll see how this plays out.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    neither