Home U.S. Coin Forum

what is the composition of the 2009 lp1-lp4 rolls?

I am confused now. I just spoke to the us mint asking them the above question. They are saying that all 2009 lp1-lp4 are 95% copper and 5% zinc. I was sure that only the proof mint sets contained these as single coins but no rolls. The reason I ask is that an ebay seller Americuscoins is describing in their listing that the us mint rolls in the white sealed box are copper. I emailed him and told him my beliefs. He later emails me and states he talked to the mint and they confirmed by fax that he was right about the 95% copper rolls. Who is correct?

Comments

• ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭
    Huh? The U.S. Mint is confused.

The regular production 2009 cents found in the LP1-LP4 rolls are copper over zinc just like all the cents after 1982. The Proof & Mint sets had the 95% copper and those are the only ones with a different composition. The four proof cents in the Lincoln Coin & Chronicles are copper too.

There is no doubt in my mind about it.
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭
    ...just put 'em on the scale, that'll settle it! image the 95% copper roll will weigh 5.4 ounces and the zincolns will

weigh in at 4.4 ounces a roll. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • The LP3 and LP4 boxes are back on sale at the US Mint site. In the discription it says: "These rolls contain one-cent coins used in regular commercial transactions."
    Bob

• kingkoin56kingkoin56 Posts: 343 ✭✭
    Thanks for all the answers. Is there some where online that would show the composition of the lp1-lp4. This seller is just loving the fact that he is right. NOT!
  • The legislation that authorized these is Public Law 109-145, the "PRESIDENTIAL $1 COIN ACT OF 2005." For some reason I can't post a link directly to the legislation, but the following link should take you to a US Mint page where you can click on the link provided to go to it. The 95% copper composition was only for the numismatic versions and it says that in the law. It says on the Mint site the LP coins are coins intended for regular commerce.

US Mint page
    Bob

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for all the answers. Is there some where online that would show the composition of the lp1-lp4. This seller is just loving the fact that he is right. NOT! >>

Try this page.

Used in conjunction with the descriptive pages for the LP3 and LP4 coins which states: "These rolls contain one-cent coins used in regular commercial transactions.", should make it clear.

But I expect that your seller will not believe anything since his mind is made up.

I forgot to add a little something, specifically, if you called the US Mints 1-800 number, you were not speaking with the US Mint but the contracted distributor of US Mint products. And these folks really don't know a whole lot of anything.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Show him this LP3 taken from an LP3 Box roll:

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file