Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Who's Working on 1953 Bowman Color in PSA 6 or 7?

I'm in the very early stages of working on this set, and the other day saw that bbcexchange had quite a few cards in 6 or 7 ending shortly. Many were very good looking cards for their grade, so I put 12-15 on my watch list. As the end of the auctions drew close, I had 8 on my list which I intended to bid on. As the minutes ticked down, I put in a bid and was already outbid on each one. I put in some very reasonable bids, I thought, and was surprised that I was the second highest bidder in each one.

I went back and checked today to learn that I had been outbid by the same bidder for each card. I just want to know who the collector is, so that he can share with me which cards in the set he already has, so I don't have to waste my time bidding against him on those cards he is still looking for. image Also, that collector should please feel free to contact me with offers if he ever upgrades the cards; he got some nice examples in a beautiful set.

Comments

• 1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    That wouldn't be very fair to any potential sellers.

• << <i>That wouldn't be very fair to any potential sellers. >>

Excuse me, I guess I meant to put this face: image Or this one: image I don't know, which one clearly demonstrates that I'm joking?

I still would like to know who picked up those cards, just to start a discussion about the set. Maybe the buyer doesn't frequent these boards.
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    BRDSR
    I am making a set of these in PSA 6/7 too. I noticed that a seller has almost a complete set of these on Ebay ending in the next couple of days. I love this set too and best of luck on getting some of those. I have 59 out of the 160 in PSA 7/8 and around 15 in PSA 5/6. How close are you and do you have your set registered? I don't but i should add mine in the next month or so.

Regards,
    Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases

• << <i>BRDSR
    I am making a set of these in PSA 6/7 too. I noticed that a seller has almost a complete set of these on Ebay ending in the next couple of days. I love this set too and best of luck on getting some of those. I have 59 out of the 160 in PSA 7/8 and around 15 in PSA 5/6. How close are you and do you have your set registered? I don't but i should add mine in the next month or so.

Regards,
    Shane >>

Shane,

When I said I was in the "very early stages" of putting the set together, I meant it. Most of my time has been spent compiling my own VCP-type data. The few cards I do have are part of a registered set, but I'll probably wait until I'm more in your range before I throw out the name of the set so that people can link it to me.

There are so many good-looking cards in the set. My problem is that I know I will eventually have to collect the B&W set, too, since the two are basically intended as one set. But for now I'm focusing on the color set. A more attractive set, and more available, although it seems to me that the cards are priced the same. Lower supply, lower demand, I guess.

I don't have the money to do much/any of the set in 8, as that seems like the cutoff for some very pricey examples. I think the thin white borders really makes the set tough in 8, because even a minor absolute variation in centering causes a significant percentage variation in centering. How do you feel about the difference between 6s and 7s in this set? My sense is that there are some pretty appealing 6s, but also that the difference in price between 6s and 7s is not always that great. So far I've been happy to pick up either at the right price, and will probably continue down that road for "round one," before I start upgrading.

As with my phantom bidder the other night, let me know if you're looking to move any cards you've upgraded. I probably need it!
  • I have the following PSA 6 1953 Bowman Color Cards

If interested, send me email and I will send you scans. Also, let me know your "buy" price

15, 75, 85, 99, 100, 101, 114, 121, 128, 129, 144, 147

• << <i>I have the following PSA 6 1953 Bowman Color Cards

If interested, send me email and I will send you scans. Also, let me know your "buy" price

15, 75, 85, 99, 100, 101, 114, 121, 128, 129, 144, 147 >>

E-mail sent.
    BRDSR
    I have very few PSA 8's in my set now but I throw in bids on them as well just to see if I can get lucky. The PSA 6/7 value I think is a great idea, however the pricing on some of the PSA 6/7's go for pretty big dollars too. My goal is to have a graded set by year end and I will pick up PSA 5's and 6's along the way just to get it complete. I will buy even a PSA 4 if the card looks nice and most of those are $10-12 cards all day long.

David if you have any others in PSA 7 let me know too.

Regards,
    Shane
    The Black and White cards are beautiful and pretty tough to find. In my opinion I believe they are tougher than the colors.

Shane
  • JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm in the very early stages of working on this set, and the other day saw that bbcexchange had quite a few cards in 6 or 7 ending shortly. Many were very good looking cards for their grade, so I put 12-15 on my watch list. As the end of the auctions drew close, I had 8 on my list which I intended to bid on. As the minutes ticked down, I put in a bid and was already outbid on each one. I put in some very reasonable bids, I thought, and was surprised that I was the second highest bidder in each one.

I went back and checked today to learn that I had been outbid by the same bidder for each card. I just want to know who the collector is, so that he can share with me which cards in the set he already has, so I don't have to waste my time bidding against him on those cards he is still looking for. image Also, that collector should please feel free to contact me with offers if he ever upgrades the cards; he got some nice examples in a beautiful set. >>

I'm working on it too. Shooting for all 7s but I have settled for centered 6s and 6.5. 8s are out of my price range.

• << <i>BRDSR

Regards,
    Shane >>

Picked up two cards from that set break. I particularly like the Chiti card, especially for the price I got it at.
    That Chiti had awesome centering. I won 10 cards I think. Probably over paid on a few but did not get a steal on any of them. I have a feeling that I am going to have to start bidding more aggressively on the PSA 7 high numbers or drop down to a PSA 6 for some of those.

Nice job!

Shane

• << <i>That Chiti had awesome centering. I won 10 cards I think. Probably over paid on a few but did not get a steal on any of them. I have a feeling that I am going to have to start bidding more aggressively on the PSA 7 high numbers or drop down to a PSA 6 for some of those.

Nice job!

Shane >>

I think you're probably right. I think there are more people working on this set than there was a year ago when I started tracking the cost of the cards. I have a steady stream of money to spend on cards, but don't usually have a huge chunk at one time (or I save up to have a huge chunk to spend on key cards). So when set breaks with lots of commons come up, I generally bid low on a lot of cards, knowing that I won't win them all but trying to price it so that I'll win in roughly the amount I want to win, give or take a card or two. In this auction, I bid on 35 cards expecting to win 5 or 6, and only picked up the two. And, although I split my bids betwen 6s and 7s, I obviously didn't pick up any of the 7s.
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck working on the 1953 Color Bowman set, it is one of my favorites. If you decide to work on the '53 Black & White it will definitely be more challenging even in mid grade.

Here's a couple cards from those sets. I just love the simplicity of the 2 sets.

Not for sale, though, just showing them...

Donato
    imageimage
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
    Those are some very nice cards you have there. I agree that the Black and White will be much more challanging too.

Good luck!
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    I also will be working on my 53 Color.I have stopped for a while.I am only sending in my own for grading.Have complete set in FR/vgex with around 16 cards on the registery.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)