Home Sports Talk
Options

A "Perfect Game" could consist of only 27 pitches, batters & outs for the losing team

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
..................... for the winning team if (during a 8 and 1/2 inning game):

1. the winning team is the home team;

2. the losing team is the visiting team;

3. the losing team's 27 batters are retired with 27 pitches resulting in 27 outs; and

4. the winning team has 24 batters, 23 of which are retired with 23 pitches resulting in 23 outs and 1 batter hitting a home run on the 24th pitch.

The above scenario would require the home team to be leading 1-0 (courtesy of the home run) going into the top of the 9th inning and the visiting team not scoring in the top of the 9th inning, resulting in no need for the home team to bat in the bottom of the 9th inning.

Pretty amazing to think of an MLB game being decided in 51 pitches with only 51 batters.

I wonder how close an MLB game has come to being decided in this manner?

I wonder also how much time it would take to play such a game?

Comments

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'd need a 24th out for the home team to end the 8th before the visitors could bat in the 9th though.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

<< <i>You'd need a 24th out for the home team to end the 8th before the visitors could bat in the 9th though. >>

In theory you are correct with the 27 and 25 scenario. However we all know very quickly in such a scenario batters would start taking pitches so this could never come close to happening. I think since pitch counts have been kept there have been some complete games with a pitch count in the low 70's. Not perfect games but simply a complete game. Greg Maddux had some really low pitch counts in his prime.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Actually it could be less than the 52 that is needed in your example.

a game could very well be decided with 28 pitches.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Actually it could be less than the 52 that is needed in your example.

a game could very well be decided with 28 pitches.

Steve >>

How? A game cant be decided until the bottom of th e9th inning which makes 27 and 24 through 8 1/2 or 51 pitches. If only that many piches had been thrown there can be no score requiring a 52nd pitch unless you are talking about a rain shortened perfect game which gets a big asterisk image
  • Options
    How?

A game is official after the visitor has batted 5 times.

For whatever reason, rain, snow, wind, mayflies etc.

Steve

edited to add:

Yes I read where the op mentions 8 and 1/2 innings.
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>How?

A game is official after the visitor has batted 5 times.

For whatever reason, rain, snow, wind, mayflies etc.

Steve

edited to add:

Yes I read where the op mentions 8 and 1/2 innings. >>

True but this scenario would not count as a perfect game either since 9 innings have not been pitched.
  • Options
    Up until 1991 it would have.

Steve
    Good for you.