Home Sports Talk
Options

Old-Man Griffey...

digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
fell asleep during a game.

Fans falling asleep during an M's game is one thing, but the players too? Wow.
My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

Comments

• Options
    Maybe Sam Perkins stopped by for a visit.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way he's been hitting this season, I think he's half asleep at the plate, too, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    The career is quickly winding down. I've had to ask myself "Has his career really been over for about 9 years" He's a player that's had 2 careers. One with the Mariners and 1 with someone else. Sad but this needs to end. Not even a HR yet.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad to watch Junior these days. The old bat has slowed to a crawl. Still a thing a beauty, but oh so slowwwww.

Time to hang it up Junior.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    The man is still one of the greatest hitters of all time, played in the steroid era and yet was never linked once. Guys like him and Chipper chose to go the natural way and are now seeing their bodies and production break down over time.

Griffey is a 40 year old man...he is being paid 2.35 million dollars, not taking anyone's spot in the field, not fussing over playing time, being a positive influence on young players.... I honestly can't wait to see him play this weekend in St. Pete. Never seen him in person before and even if I see a broken down Griff it will still be a great thing. I just hope he is in the line up!

• Options

<< <i>Griffey is a 40 year old man...he is being paid 2.35 million dollars, not taking anyone's spot in the field, not fussing over playing time, being a positive influence on young players.... >>

Positive influence on young players? Dude fell asleep in the clubhouse during a game. To paraphrase A.I. "We ain't talkin' 'bout practice" - this was DURING A GAME! Look, I love Giff, best player of the 90's for sure but even before this it was clear: he needs to step aside. 2 extra base hits all year. Come on Griff, you're better than that.

Big question is how does the team handle this? He is unquestionably the greatest start the franchise ever produced, and his release/retirement should be handled delicately. Because it looks as thought he team isn't gonna contend this year you might as well let him ride out the year and look for nice gate receipts when everyone wants to come see Griffey's last few games...maybe sell some of his jerseys. It's too bad his career looks like it'll end with a whimper rather than a bang.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< It's too bad his career looks like it'll end with a whimper rather than a bang. >>>

Most of them do.
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    Although I don't condone this, I have two points..................

1 - If this were 30/40 years ago, this wouldn't even be a story, cause it wouldn't get out and if it did, it certainly wouldn't get the media attention it is getting - I have little doubt some of the other greats did it as well.

2 - What happens in the club house should have stayed in there. The two young players who 'outted' him - better pray their names don't get out. Telling this to the media is no better than Griffey himself. Have some integrity and don't hide behind 'the un-named player.'
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
  • Options
    If Jr plays out the year he will hit about .225 with 5-7 Home runs. This sucks to see, but those last 5-7 Home Runs will be awesome !
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Falling asleep is one thing, but being out of shape is another. Yes, I know he's 40 and all that, so his production is going to drop naturally but the man is just out of shape. He looks like a guy in a beer gut softball league.......that's what's wrong about him occupying a roster spot and drawing a paycheck, that he's out of shape and doesn't even care that he's denying someone else the chance to play. Falling asleep is just a symptom of that.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How old was his dad in his last season?
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

<< <i> doesn't even care that he's denying someone else the chance to play. >>

Tell me, who is he preventing from playing? The man DH's and has played in 23 of the teams 31 games. It's not like he's flailing around in CF preventing some hot prospect from playing...we're talking about the DH. If you're relying on a 40 year old DH to carry your offense, you're screwed.

Also, who would you rather have DH for him regularly?

Eric Byrnes? Hitting .094
    Matt Tuiasosop? Hitting .184
    Ryan Langerhans? Hitting .100
    Their back up DH Sweeney? He's hitting .176 with a .206 slugging percentage.

Oh man, he's really holding back the team.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Goot,
    You are correct. With the Mariners this bad he is the best they have at DH. There's just no way around it. If they were really going to cut him they would have to cut half the team. With the near 100 loss season that is in progress there will be a complete implosion of this so called team. Quite honestly, the centerfielder and Felix are the only salvageable parts to this team. The GM was trying to do a magic act getting people excited about Figgins and the off season deals. Sandy Koufax would have a hard time winning games with this offense. There must have been 5 games where they were hitless in the 5th or 6th inning and they've only played 30 games.

Ron,
    You are correct about the beer belly. The desire to achieve has long since past.

Take a serious look at his numbers since the great season of 1999. In 2000 he hit 40 HR's, but the average, running ability and fielding dropped off significantly. In 2005 he had a decent year; but realistically has not been a star player for a full decade----and I really like Griffey.

Sad to see. The Mariners should have told him that last year was it with them. Ownership is making these bad decisions.
  • Options
    All pitcher is the majors SHOULD be grooving fastballs right down the pipe for Jr. , show the man some respect! Heck at this point his home runs won't even effect the score.

I watched Sr. And Jr. play together, I think he was like 41 actually, Ill go look...

By the way now the are reporting he wasnt asleep, but he is in the lineup tonight. Watch him hit a HR. I bet he does it...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    Yep he was 41 and a month...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    By the way now the are reporting he wasnt asleep, but he is in the lineup tonight. Watch him hit a HR. I bet he does it...

Well, he did get a walk to keep his OBP% at about .260...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Jermaine Dye is still available or trade for M. Lowell. Right now Jr. is toast and I hate to see it because he is one of the all time greats.
  • Options
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    i hate to see him go out like that

he was too goo for the game for too long
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>2 - What happens in the club house should have stayed in there. The two young players who 'outted' him - better pray their names don't get out. Telling this to the media is no better than Griffey himself. Have some integrity and don't hide behind 'the un-named player.' >>

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    I agree that the players should not have ratted out Griffey to the media...what that also indicates though is that Griffey must not be well-liked in the clubhouse...from just the interviews I've read over the last couple years, he seems to have become a bit surly with age.

• Options
    Well that is exactly the OPPOSITE of everything I have heard, but ok...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    Well that is exactly the OPPOSITE of everything I have heard, but ok...

Do you know anyone in the clubhouse who has told you otherwise? Pray tell and enlighten us, LOL..

Usually when "unnamed players" start sniping to the media about a player's misfortunes, it's not exactly a demonstration of endearment...on the contrary such actions are usually a sign of resentment for said player, for whatever reasons..

Edit: Whatever the case, though, Griffey is no threat to claim the title of least popular player in the Mariners' clubhouse, as that title has already been locked up by Ichiro, LOL..

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    This whole thing is ridiculous.
    Either the players who said this news are naive or they have some resentment towards Griffey. It does not matter how nice you are, someone is going to be jealous, resentful or offended in some way. You cannot please everyone. We all have someone ready to back stab us when given the chance and opportunity.

Even if Griffey was sleeping in the clubhouse, that does not need to go out to the media. That is something the manager should deal with.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    How bout that walk off today?!
  • Options
    How bout that walk off today?!

I bet the pitcher figured I may as well groove one to the old guy, after all, what's the chance he'll hit a homer? LOL..

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    big hit yesterday
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

<< <i>I bet the pitcher figured I may as well groove one to the old guy, after all, what's the chance he'll hit a homer? >>

Griffey deserves a groove pitch this year.

Other than McLain to Mantle, are than any other grooved pitches known of?

I like that. It's like a farewell sign of respect. (if you have a comfortable lead, of course)
  • Options
    MantleMarisFordBerraMantleMarisFordBerra Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I bet the pitcher figured I may as well groove one to the old guy, after all, what's the chance he'll hit a homer? >>

I like that. It's like a farewell sign of respect. (if you have a comfortable lead, of course) >>

Always thought Chan Ho Park's 2001 All Star Game offering to Ripken might have been "a gift". No proof, but the thought was in my mind before the ball was in the stands.
  • Options
    < I bet the pitcher figured I may as well groove one to the old guy, after all, what's the chance he'll hit a homer? >>

I like that. It's like a farewell sign of respect. (if you have a comfortable lead, of course) >>

Always thought Chan Ho Park's 2001 All Star Game offering to Ripken might have been "a gift". No proof, but the thought was in my mind before the ball was in the stands.

Was Williams' last HR in his last AB grooved?

• Options
    Well, he might not get a chance for a groove pitch. I just saw Tim Kurcheon (sic) on ESPN saying it's gonna happen any day here.