Steve

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The correct answer is b
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    That's a toughie.

With A, the pitcher achieves maximum efficiency while his fielders handle all the outs.

With B, the only guys who need to even leave the dugout are the pitcher and catcher.

A is the ultimate team perfect game.
    B is the ultimate pitcher's perfect game.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>Just a poll:

What would be "more perfect"?

Pitching a perfect game where

a. All batters are retired on the first pitch

b. All batters strike out on three pitches

Steve >>

"b" has a much lower probability.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I'd pick A. With umpires making decisions, there is no measure of how many of the 3 strikes per batter were actually slightly out of the strike zone (or, in the case of the late Eric Gregg calling a playoff game - a foot outside of the strike zone). But if the batters were swinging at every pitch, it takes that out of the mix.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I'd pick A. With umpires making decisions, there is no measure of how many of the 3 strikes per batter were actually slightly out of the strike zone (or, in the case of the late Eric Gregg calling a playoff game - a foot outside of the strike zone). But if the batters were swinging at every pitch, it takes that out of the mix. >>

Not necessarily true, as an umpire may have had to make a decision calling a player out on a close play (where the runner was really safe) at first (or any other base).
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd pick A. With umpires making decisions, there is no measure of how many of the 3 strikes per batter were actually slightly out of the strike zone (or, in the case of the late Eric Gregg calling a playoff game - a foot outside of the strike zone). But if the batters were swinging at every pitch, it takes that out of the mix. >>

Of course, A puts you more at the mercy of your team's defense. You have (probably) between 27 and 54 more chances for an error to screw up a perfect game if all 27 outs were struck on the first pitch.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Randy Johnsons' perfect game. Only 1 three ball count. He was absolutely dominant. I believe the final pitch he struck the guy out with was pitch 116 at 98 MPH. "AWESOME."

I can't imagine a more dominant performance.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    it would be tough to beat not letting the other team put the ball in play
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

<< <i>Randy Johnsons' perfect game. Only 1 three ball count. He was absolutely dominant. I believe the final pitch he struck the guy out with was pitch 116 at 98 MPH. "AWESOME."

I can't imagine a more dominant performance. >>

I was there, and it was the faster, most boring game ever, until about the 7th inning.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok all of you baseball fans with a thirst for baseball statistics, I have some questions for you keyed into the two categories listed in the OP.

For Catgeory A - What is the MLB record for the most batters on one team in a nine inning game that were retired on the first pitch? (I guess 8 out of 27) [Further is the game in which this record is present one of the 19 perfect games recorded in MLB history?]; and

For Category B - What is the MLB record for the most batters on one team in a nine inning game that were struck out on three pitches or less (I guess 13 out of 27)? [Further is the game in which this record is present one of the 19 perfect games recorded in MLB history?; and Further what is the MLB record for the most batters on one team in a nine inning game that were struck out (regardless of how many pitches were required to obtain each out (I guess 19 out of 27))?].

My inquiring mind wants to know.

Were my three guesses close?
  • Options
    <<Further what is the MLB record for the most batters on one team in a nine inning game that were struck out (regardless of how many pitches were required to obtain each out >>

Kerry Wood, Chicago Cubs (NL), May 6, 1998, vs. Houston, and

Roger Clemens (twice), Boston Red Sox (AL):
    Sept. 18, 1996, at Detroit
    April 29, 1986, vs. Seattle.

Note: Randy Johnson, Arizona Diamondbacks (NL), May 8, 2001[7], vs. Cincinnati. Johnson pitched 9 innings of an 11-inning game.

Extra innings:

Tom Cheney, Washington Senators (AL), September 12, 1962, at Baltimore. Cheney recorded 21 strikeouts in 16 innings of work; 13 of the 21 were in the extra innings.

Minor's

Ron Necciai in a Class-D game between the Appalachian League Bristol Twins and the Welsh Miners (May 13, 1952).
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    What is the major league record for fewest batters up in a 9 inning game?
  • Options
    The ultimate perfect game would be one in which the pitcher not only struck out all 27 batters on 3 pitches each, but also hit home runs in each of his at bats. image

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The correct answer is b >>

Neither scenario is likely to ever happen. The only one that is even possible at all is b. If the first 2 batters are out on the first pitch in an inning the third batter will have the "take" sign on his first pitch even in Little league. At the MLB level there is no way anyone is swinging at the first pitch after the first two are out. And it would have to happen every inning.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The correct answer is b >>

Neither scenario is likely to ever happen. The only one that is even possible at all is b. If the first 2 batters are out on the first pitch in an inning the third batter will have the "take" sign on his first pitch even in Little league. At the MLB level there is no way anyone is swinging at the first pitch after the first two are out. And it would have to happen every inning. >>

...and for "b" to happen, no batter can foul off the third pitch. Anybody who has ever played the game knows that it's a rotten feeling to strike out looking on the third pitch. I know when the count was 0-2 on me, if that pitch was anywhere close, I was swinging at it, and there are gonna be some foul balls in that situation.
  • Options

<< <i>...and for "b" to happen, no batter can foul off the third pitch. Anybody who has ever played the game knows that it's a rotten feeling to strike out looking on the third pitch. I know when the count was 0-2 on me, if that pitch was anywhere close, I was swinging at it, and there are gonna be some foul balls in that situation. >>

Unless the pitcher is throwing some filthy changeups, sliders, etc that the hitters can't track and end up swinging through.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Baseball I think the question meant the lowest amount of batters for both teams.

< What is the major league record for fewest batters up in a 9 inning game? >>

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Most perfect games the pitcher throws about 90 to 100 pitches, Johnson's 117 or 16 was the second highest ever IIRC.

Wells needed 120.

Cone 88

Bunning 90

Adie Joss needed just 74.

The list can be viewed on the net.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    As far as most strikeoouts, 26 California Angels struck out in an extra inning whiff-fest against the Oakland A's and Vida Blue in 1971. The A's also struck out 17 times.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i>As far as most strikeoouts, 26 California Angels struck out in an extra inning whiff-fest against the Oakland A's and Vida Blue in 1971. The A's also struck out 17 times. >>

Link to boxscore

Yowzers!

I don't know what's more amazing, the fact that the first starting pitcher to leave the game did so in the 12th..
    or that Rollie Fingers pitched 7 innings of shutout, 2 hit baseball IN RELIEF!!

They don't make relievers like that anymore!