Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Are any of the countries you collect "hot" right now?

Trying to find out what is strong and what is weak.

One thread today reveals a weak Canadian market.

How are France, England, and Germany?

I get the feeling (perhaps unfounded) that South American
countries are doing well on a relative basis.
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my (limited) view: Mexico, Chile, and Central America seem hot. Peru and Uruguay seem weak. Other Latin American countries seem average. Not really sure about Brazil.

Spain and Philippines seem very weak.

Perhaps Mr. Eureka can speak to GB since he was just there, but to me it seems weaker than its been.
  • Options
    mudskippiemudskippie Posts: 540 ✭✭
    French colonial coinage is hot, as well as French emergency money image
  • Options
    OchoRealesOchoReales Posts: 1,500
    No comment! image
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options

<< <i>No comment! image >>

OK, Gary, I'll say it. Bolivia seems average. image

And I forgot to mention, Puerto Rico is HOT (as usual)!
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭✭
    Timely question: I spent some time perusing Alan Berman's inventory today at the West Haven, CT show and asked him a similar question. "What's hot and what's not?"

Hot? Nothing is burning hot however Russian and some Polish remain in demand. Colonial Mexico is doing well. As is Victorian G.B.

Cold? Most modern issues, post WW2. France and Germany have cooled slightly. As have Vatican and Papal issues.

The rest of the market has been "steady".

Alan reported a very active Chicago show with feedback from most dealers as "very good".
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps Mr. Eureka can speak to GB since he was just there, but to me it seems weaker than its been.

It is.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,836 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GB covers alot of time, denominations- and of course condition rarities that seem to be getting undeserved attention

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Well I can only go on what a coin dealer friend of mine tells me (and the coins he gives me to get graded at PCGS). Any pre 1950 Cyprus, pre 1950 South Africa, 1890's ZAR coinage, and the low mintage proofs/high grade circs of former British colonies like BWA, Southern Rhodesia and The Straits Settlements. None of the Australian coinage I collect is what I'd call 'burning' right now but the best quality pieces are still getting good money at live auctions (but not on Ebay).
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    High grade milled British seems to be setting new records each auction.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    china and russia are hot...I don't collect them
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭

<< <i>High grade milled British seems to be setting new records each auction. >>

Yeah, DARKSIDE of the MOON Money™! . . . . . Next Stop??? MARS!!!! image
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In my (limited) view: Mexico, Chile, and Central America seem hot. Peru and Uruguay seem weak. Other Latin American countries seem average. Not really sure about Brazil. >>

Brazil is pretty hot right now, especially after the recent Heritage sale of the Paulistana collection. Prices have been going up across the board and I haven't seen many bargains anywhere.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My area of focus, Austro-Hungarian Talers seems to be very hot. No high grade materials come into market, prices being premium for ones that do.
  • Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭
    English hammered gold is virtually unobtainable and the prices reflect that.

At St. James's last week I had my eyes on a number of the hammered gold pieces based on the estimates in the catalogue, but when I arrived at the sale there was a list of sale notices. Two dozen lots of mostly hammered gold had their estimates raised by 50-100% which made a nonsense of the prices. e.g lots 544, 545 & 546 (Elizabeth I angel, half & quarter) had their upper estimates increased from £3500, £3500 & £3000 to £5000. It later transpired that the lots in question were consigned by Mark Teller who subsequently dropped the estimate for 544 after 545 sold for 5 figures(!!!!!) and the lot was re-opened. I wasn't the only one who was a bit miffed. I might be willing to pay £4K for a really nice quarter angel, but I'm not going to pay £5500-£6K. The question arises as to whether they were put into the London sale because he couldn't sell them stateside so I'm not sure what to read into this. I do know that there were quite a few people not willing to play that game though.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>English hammered gold is virtually unobtainable and the prices reflect that.

At St. James's last week I had my eyes on a number of the hammered gold pieces based on the estimates in the catalogue, but when I arrived at the sale there was a list of sale notices. Two dozen lots of mostly hammered gold had their estimates raised by 50-100% which made a nonsense of the prices. e.g lots 544, 545 & 546 (Elizabeth I angel, half & quarter) had their upper estimates increased from £3500, £3500 & £3000 to £5000. It later transpired that the lots in question were consigned by Mark Teller who subsequently dropped the estimate for 544 after 545 sold for 5 figures(!!!!!) and the lot was re-opened. I wasn't the only one who was a bit miffed. I might be willing to pay £4K for a really nice quarter angel, but I'm not going to pay £5500-£6K. The question arises as to whether they were put into the London sale because he couldn't sell them stateside so I'm not sure what to read into this. I do know that there were quite a few people not willing to play that game though. >>

Somehow I have to disagree that hammered gold is virtually unobtainable - auctions with unduly high reserves are not a bellwether of the market conditions - more likely they are an indication of a fool that doesn't really wish to part with their collection. I have watched some hammered Scottish gold in Stack's auctions that had similarly typed reserves, only that the lots became queens that appeared in two or three subsequent auctions. They only sold whence the consignors lowered reserves into reality.

Similarly look at all the gold in the Baldwin site sits there for indeterminate amounts of time, unsold.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    I probably should have inserted the word nice into the post. Those on Baldwin's site aren't quite there, mostly due to weakness at some crucial point.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many coins with higher prices seem IMO to suffer when there is a large supply and a formerly large demand; small supply thin demand holds prices as there have to be only a few wealthier collector/investors to drive price. An example would be the Gothic Crown which has seemed to take hits in price over the last 1-2 years...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭✭✭
    better Palestine mandate coinage (1927 to 1946) seems to continue to be hot - even a popular 1st date 1927 2 Mil garnered 50 bucks last nite @ Heritage with 7 unique bidders. I've seen a lot more interest and prices have been very strong now for the past few years straight.

Marc
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,960 ✭✭✭
    The British coinage I collect has seen the market soften overall in the past 6 months. The Heritage auctions saw some pretty weak bidding for most lots I watched, but some pieces did go for very high prices. A mixed bag at best.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lots 544, 545 & 546 (Elizabeth I angel, half & quarter) had their upper estimates increased from 3500, 3500 & 3000 to 5000. It later transpired that the lots in question were consigned by Mark Teller who subsequently dropped the estimate for 544 after 545 sold for 5 figures(!!!!!) and the lot was re-opened.

St James's lot 546 was one of the few on which I left a bid. (The coin was virtually "as struck".) What did it bring?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

<< <i>lots 544, 545 & 546 (Elizabeth I angel, half & quarter) had their upper estimates increased from 3500, 3500 & 3000 to 5000. It later transpired that the lots in question were consigned by Mark Teller who subsequently dropped the estimate for 544 after 545 sold for 5 figures(!!!!!) and the lot was re-opened.

St James's lot 546 was one of the few on which I left a bid. (The coin was virtually "as struck".) What did it bring?

image >>

I can't remember whether it sold or not. I switched off after I found the estimate revised to £4500-5000, though vaguely remember it might have opened at £4300 - so £4500 to the next bidder if bought. That is a silly number. I wanted it too and would have paid top estimate plus based on the original figure, but not x3 Spink's current VF price for a slightly irregular and a bit weak in places EF.
  • Options
    No offense guys, but yuck, what an ugly coin. Lots 544 and 545 were a bit "easier on the eyes," but still what do you see in this series? Sure its historical, and I realize that means something, but that's a lot of money for.....yuck. I guess there really is a buyer for every coin.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Actually those are really pretty coins in hand, much better than the pics show.

I can also add that German states minors are selling for scrap price almost. That's a good thing as that is my secondary area of collecting. I picked up a 1855 Mecklenburg-Strelitz. 1/48 Taler in NGC Proof 64 for under $90, that's a coin with an estimated mintage of somewhere around 100 or so.
  • Options

<< <i>No offense guys, but yuck, what an ugly coin. Lots 544 and 545 were a bit "easier on the eyes," but still what do you see in this series? Sure its historical, and I realize that means something, but that's a lot of money for.....yuck. I guess there really is a buyer for every coin. >>

Quarter angels are difficult to find in any grade. That is why when one comes along with little or no wear you jump. They were only produced during Henry VIII's third coinage 1544-7 and the last 30 years of Elizabeth I's reign.

This coin was also good enough to be illustrated in an old pre WW2 sale which is also a good indicator of condition rarity. In those days only the best or rarest coins were ever illustrated and even that didn't guarantee illustration. A good sale in point was the Thomas Miller Whitehead sale in 1898. 67 lots in total; 17 Greek -12 illustrated; 12 English - none illustrated; 38 medals - 12 illustrated. For the record, the 12 English coins not deemed worthy of illustration were as follows: Charles I Scottish shilling, Cromwell 1658 crown in gold and a set in silver of crown, halfcrown and shilling, Petition Crown - ex-Hodson, Tyssen etc listed as extremely fine, Reddite crown listed as finest known, 1818 gold crown, 1820 gold £5, Gold Gothic Crown 1847, Una & the Lion £5 and 1887 £5. I would have happily lived with their unworthies.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Gold Gothic Crown 1847, Una & the Lion £5 and 1887 £5. >>

Odd that. But FWIW, these were 'Moderne Junque' in 1898. image

However, I would gladly take any of these 3 "NCLTs", most especially the Gold Gothic Crown 1847.

Do you have any prices realized on those 'unworthies'?
  • Options
    I hear you guys. Thanks for clarifying.

I should not be talking anyway. Here is my dream coin. Nothing much in the looks department, but OH the history!

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,836 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reality is that Red common date Victorian copper will sell at prices that seem to be hyped- the true British rarities seem to fail to capture the deserved attention and I remain convinced it is because they can not be promoted

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The reality is that Red common date Victorian copper will sell at prices that seem to be hyped- the true British rarities seem to fail to capture the deserved attention and I remain convinced it is because they can not be promoted >>

True 'dat -- there's a certain kind of British copper that's way harder to find in mint state than red Victorian common dates, but also way cheaper. But I won't say what it is because I haven't finished my set yet. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Gold Gothic Crown 1847, Una & the Lion £5 and 1887 £5. >>

Odd that. But FWIW, these were 'Moderne Junque' in 1898. image

However, I would gladly take any of these 3 "NCLTs", most especially the Gold Gothic Crown 1847.

Do you have any prices realized on those 'unworthies'? >>

Unfortunately no prices or names to hand as I only acquired the catalogue recently and so haven't had time to locate the useful info.

Leaving aside the obvious modern junque, the two Simon crowns both sold for £150ish in the 1840's, so could hardly be described as run of the mill pieces. And the 1658 gold crown was recorded as 2 known.