Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Does anyone know of a PCGS coin getting a MS68 grade on a regrade in the holder?

I'm thinking specifically of Washington quarters originally graded 66 or 67, but are there any that are known of in any series? I hope this question makes sense.

Tony

Comments

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While there certainly could be one or two, but from memory, nearly all the MS68 quarters were graded raw that I am aware.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • yellowjacketyellowjacket Posts: 1,809
    I have not heard or seen of any 68 upgrades in holders, Washington Quarters or any others.

Garrow
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Crossing an NGC roosie in 68 is challenging...even if the coin is all there...
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • I would put the odds at 1 to 100. Its not likely to happen
  • ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭
    I've had several PCGS MS67 to MS68 Rosy Dimes upgrade in holder......but never a Washington quarter....
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes the 1894 Barber dime in the Simpson/law collection went from ms 67 to ms 68.

Stewart Blay
  • StupidStupid Posts: 558 ✭✭✭
    Is that the one that just sold through Heritage?
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I've accomplished it before with a Morgan dollar...get one regraded from 67 to 68 that is.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    I know if a monster toned morgan that went from 67 to a 68 in the holder...one of the best I have ever seen.
    A few years back.
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    I know that Steve Duckor got an MS 68+ on a 1905 half dollar that was MS 68 (no plus) when submitted for secure plus. It currently ranks as the highest graded int state barber half at PCGS. Of the other 10 or 11 PCGS MS 68 barber halves, none have a plus (yet) to my knowledge. The NGC pop report still shows an MS 69 coin but I own that coin (and am holding the old insert that says 69) and had it crossed to PCGS as MS 68; I haven't tried it yet for plus.
    Dr. Pete
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>correction

I know of one, a 47-s Washington qtr regrade ms67 to 68 (Stella collection) ($300 coin to 11.5k) >>

That's a grading fee I would be willing to pay for TWICE! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • bushmaster8bushmaster8 Posts: 5,616
    I had a 1957 PR67CAM 1c go 68CAM on an in the holder regrade.

Also have a 1951 PR67 1c OGH that I think is a 99% likely PR68, but I have seen too many coins turn in the holder after regrades so I think I will just leave it alone.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website