Home Sports Talk
Options

NYY Fans: Phil Hughes of the sub-2.00 ERA, Question

BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
is Hughes really that good this year as a starter? Haven't followed him, but just saw his stats. What should be expected tonight against the Sox?

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if that was any indication, Hughes is going to have an excellent year!
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Hughes has been on the pitching staff for some time now in various capacities. I think he got the experience he needed and when the team put him in the starting rotation, he answered the call. Things just worked out. Many factors came together at the same time. There have been other pitchers from the Yankee farm that were given similar exposure to MLB hitting, but it did not work for them for some reason. Out of the dozen or so farm hands that Yankees tried the past few years, Hughes emerged from the pack.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>if that was any indication, Hughes is going to have an excellent year! >>

Hughes is pretty good. Guess you don't get YES up thar in Northern New England.
  • Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    Of all the talented pitchers the Yanks have, Hughes is the only one that scares me. Coming in to the 4 game set against Detroit, i knew this would be the only game we wouldn't even come close to winning. His stuff is subtle, yet so nasty and hitters just look dumbfounded. I knew it last year when he breezed thru and shut us out, that he was gonna be a force... and to think they actually thought Joba would compete for the fifth spot! Both him and Wade Davis will be the silent killers of the AL... though there isn't much silent about NY or TB.....