Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Is This MS or AU. Need Expert Opinions.

FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
The Dime below has MS Details but the Luster is almost completely Washed Out. Getting ready to Sell the thing and find something better. My problem is that its somewhat hard to come up with and the Money Swing is fairly substancial between AU and MS but I do not want to Describe it un-fairly.
    What do you think ? Should it be called MS or AU ? All opinions will be appreciated. Don't Hold Back if you think its a Slug let me know. If you think its Decent that Response would be Cool also.
      I am leaning toward AU myself. 27S in AU is about $45 and MS60 is around $200.
        Thanks Much: Ken

Comments

• Options
          lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
          Can't really tell without a bigger picture. If you do decide to sell it online, post a bigger picture of it, and you needn't grade it at all if you don't want to. Let the bidder or buyer make his own conclusions from the picture.

Doesn't look like that bad a coin to me. When I sell non-USA world coins that look like that, I call them AU+ or even AU++ if they are really nice. (I use the Sheldon scale for US coins, but not on foreign ones).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
        • Options
          PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
          the first one looks like unc and the second looks like AUimage
          Are they the same coin?
          Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
          CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
          Ken,

Looks like the same coin to me, but the lighting used in the first one makes it look a lot better. That's a coin I might consider sending to ANACS, because I suspect that it's been cleaned, and would come back as an AU "with Unc. details".. or do you think it would sell for more if left raw? If you sell it raw, and you're not sure whether it's AU or unc., describe it as accurately as possible, with your opinion that it could go either way. It'll probably sell for AU money, but at least your behind will be covered.

Jim
          Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
        • Options
          FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
          Same Coin. Different Angle with the Light. First Photo is Just about what it looks like. Has Some Luster but Dull in Places.
            Still Do Not know what to do with it.image
          1. Options
            DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
            Ken,

I would just post the coin and let people make their own decision. For myself, I get that cleaned feeling... but the is just MHO and I certainly am no expert, other than getting back a body bagged Merc from PCGS....LOL, joined an august group there.

Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
          2. Options
            Looks AU to me. There are certain places on the front of the coin that appears to have slight wear that screams AU.

Sincerely,

Chris
            I am waiting to restart my mint State Quarters Registry Set.