Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Slightly Off Topic - VAT Question

I have a question about applicability of VAT to U.S. customers. Hopefully one of the dealers or EU residents can answer:

Are U.S. customers required to pay VAT when purchasing coins from EU dealers?

Assumption:
-It is an Internet transaction and the coin is being shipped to the U.S.

In the past, I have been charged VAT by some dealers, but not all. I believe I remember correctly from recent travels to the EU that I was able to reclaim the VAT I was charged during the trip (as long as I kept the receipts). If I am getting that right, it seems to indicate that VAT is only applied to EU residents.

Cursory Google research did not turn up an answer.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Comments

• Options
    coverscovers Posts: 624
    No - you do not have to pay VAT on coins imported directly to the US (euro down to $1.28 today!). Hope we don't get a VAT system .....

Here's a description of the UK system (which is pretty much the same rules across the EC, just different rates by country)

HERE
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    My understanding is VAT is not applicable on exports. If you or anyone else is being charged VAT by a German dealer, please PM me the name of the dealer and I'll add them to the list and see if I can do anything about it.
    Charges will be in the form of: Mwst (=VAT)
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention, upon researching this I found 2 of the 6 dealers I have had many dealings with have been charging VAT taxes on my purchases. (I figured it was insurance or the like) image
    Like I said, I guess I'll be writing some letters...
    Jim