Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Totally OT-Need Japanese translation help-large images

I've tried to do the right thing and translate the japanese on this woodblock print by Hiroshige that came into my possession
in order to help me date it but I'm unable to.

If someone who knows can help I would be eternally in their debt.
Woodblock prints like this one were often reprinted a number of times over
the centuries and naturally the older the better.

I'm reasonably sure the sign above the entrance references the Gion Shrine but not sure.

I think that each reprint will bear the mark of that printer and perhaps the date but again I'm not sure.
Some of these original prints can be worth $1300+ if they're old enough, so...
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Well, this is not my area of expertise but you are right that this is a print of the Gion Shrine. The text in the upper left hand corner reads:

"Inside the famous places of Kyoto: Gion Shrine in snow."

Or something to that effect. One might replace "inside" with "among." I am not quite sure which is right. It could also be something like: "One of the famous places of Kyoto, Gion Shrine, in snow." Sorry to be so vague. Perhaps Shiro could take a look.

Actually, the more I think about it the more I am liking the later translation rather than the former.

There is no date on the print. I'm afraid I will not be of much use on the name. Let me chew on it some more...

• Options
    I have sent a message out to Shiroh for help!

Satootoko, any thoughts?
  • Options

<< <i>Satootoko, any thoughts? >>

According to the Beautiful Bride you hit the nail on the head. It is an undated woodblock, signed (and sealed) by Hiroshige, depicting Kyoto's Gion Shrine in the snow.

It is a new one to us, and is not among the prints in our small collection of Hiroshige's work.
    Roy

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    not among the prints in our small collection of Hiroshige's work.

I have found references to Famous Places of Kyoto, listing this series as one of Hiroshige's better ones.

ed to add: thanks for your efforts. I will attempt to find an Art reseller who specializes in woodblock prints of this type.
    Perhaps (for a fee) they will be willing to authenticate and date it. I just hate to let it out of my keeping.

This process seems somewhat similar to establishing the provenance for a coin or rare book-many similarities.image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have sent a message out to Shiroh for help!

Satootoko, any thoughts? >>

It has taken me only 4 months to check my messages and say you are correct!
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Better late than never!