Home Sports Talk
Options

RIP Ernie Harwell

AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
Longtime Voice of the Detroit Tigers.

CBS Sportsline.com
I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.

Comments

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RIP, Ernie. Class, class, class...

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    Honestly, I'm not much of a baseball fan but Ernie helped me enjoy listening to baseball for 25 years. One of the best ever. RIP EH.
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    A public viewing will be held at Comerica park starting at 7 AM Thursday Gate A. Free parking at lots 1,2 and 3.

Crowds will be huge that is for sure. There will be no public memorial service.
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Capecards
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Great announcer, great guy, great for the game. He'll be misssed.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Detroit legend....RIP
  • Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    Ernie was a major part of my childhood.... used to come home from school everyday and listen to him and Paul call the games. He was never one-sided like most broadcasters these days. Every homer was equally LOOOOONG GONE to him!! Loved it when they let him call a few innings during the 2006 ALDS... We lost The Bird last year around this time. After that the Tigers started winning games and held first place for most of the season. Hopefully this will ignite the team again!!
  • Options

RIP Ernie Harwell...........

Going back to my childhood in the early 60's on a hot summer evening,
    my dad with the car's door open in the heat and listening to Ernie Broadcast
    the Tigers game.

Not only was he a great announcer, but an absolutely fine gentleman.

When the 1968 Tigers had their 40 year reunion in 2008, I was there
    and actually was quite close to where he was at. He went around to
    all the players on the Cardinals saying "HI" and he did NOT need to
    introduce himself....When they saw him, they all hollered "....ERNIE!!!".

A legend that will be truly missed!

We love you Ernie.

Tony
    KalineFan
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    His voice was "the sound of summer", all over Michigan people had the Tigers game on the radio
    and you would hear him in cars, on the beach, at picnics, BBQ's etc. RIP Ernie
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great announcer, great guy, great for the game. He'll be misssed. >>

I totally agree!
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    It's become like a national holiday here in Detroit.

I'm not passing judgment, but I do think it's interesting to note that we seem to spend more time honoring the deaths of the men who have chronicled our games than the deaths of the men who have played them. When George Kell died, for instance, he wasn't given a fraction of the attention that Harwell has garnered, and when Kaline dies I expect the same will be true.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's become like a national holiday here in Detroit.

I'm not passing judgment, but I do think it's interesting to note that we seem to spend more time honoring the deaths of the men who have chronicled our games than the deaths of the men who have played them. When George Kell died, for instance, he wasn't given a fraction of the attention that Harwell has garnered, and when Kaline dies I expect the same will be true. >>

That's because the games are supposed to be about entertainment, and perhaps in some aspects the announcers are as entertaining as the players. When Mike Schmidt hit his 500th HR, I not only remember the event but also at the same time the very entertaining call by Harry Kalas.

So yes the announcers are entertaining, but to the loyal fans of the game, deceased players are by far the ones most cherished for what they do, and deceased announcers are simply an entertaining afterthought. When I last visited the Baseball Hall of Fame, I don't recall spending more than ten seconds looking at anything honoring any announcers.

When you state "we seem to spend more time honoring the deaths of the men who have chronicled our games than the deaths of the men who have played them." - the "we" in my view isn't most people especially the loyal fans...and the "spend more time" in your comment is basically their fellow members of the media who are honoring those who have worked with them for many years.