• Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful!

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    I recently sold a 2001 Topps Rickey Henderson PSA 10 for $150

That's a prime example of the registry and its power.
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    So how do you guys figure out what cards to grade? Do you reference pop reports prior to sending or do you just grade a bunch of commons regularly...What i'm getting at is it luck or planning.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I always reference the pop reports when subbing older cards, and basic cards of HOF'ers or future HOF'ers.
  • Options
    r00kies101r00kies101 Posts: 263 ✭✭
    Not feeling the tilt on the card.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not feeling the tilt on the card. >>

I agree, not a nice looking 10...

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    No way is that a 10 image

Are we seeing the down fall of the Registry??? Think about $400 plus for a PSA 9 at best. All that matters is what's on the flip.

PSA is smart image I have twenty 80-81's that I' packing up now image

Trying to climb the 1954-55 Topps Hockey ladder for the second time.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>TRIAPD >>

Indeed.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>So how do you guys figure out what cards to grade? Do you reference pop reports prior to sending or do you just grade a bunch of commons regularly...What i'm getting at is it luck or planning. >>

I ask registry collectors what they'll pay, get ahold of that card raw, make a fake slip, use my slab-o-matic and make a gem minty 10 and sell it.

Duh, doesn't everyone do that?
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭
    I just don't get these guys. When that card becomes a pop 2 and then 3, it'll be worth 1/2 and 1/3rd of what it just went for.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    yes, but the first guy will always get to claim hugest cajones. image
  • Options
    UlyssesExtravaganzaUlyssesExtravaganza Posts: 495 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>yes, but the first guy will always get to claim hugest cajones. image >>

But in reality, the cajones have not grown in size at all. Another disturbing reality of chasing high dollar low pop commons.
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Just wait til you see an 85 Topps Ripken Pop. It'll easily pull $500+
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Guys with money like that don't care about the value going down.

"Molon Labe"

• Options

<< <i>Guys with money like that don't care about the value going down. >>

Yep. I'm fairly certain that those who have read this thread have given more thought on the amount of money spent on that card than the actual purchaser.
    Keith
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923

<< <i>I just don't get these guys. When that card becomes a pop 2 and then 3, it'll be worth 1/2 and 1/3rd of what it just went for. >>

In some cases yes. In some cases no. It all depends. For example. There are popular psa 10 cards that I have bought for high$ and believe it or not 4 years later most are still pop 1. There are other popular pop 1 cards I have paid high $ on and 3 more came out and I have seen them sell for 2-4 times more then I paid. There are other semi popular pop 1 cards I paid high $ and now are worth much less. I really believe it depends on popularity of the card and the demand for the card.
  • Options
    Ya can't cure Stupid
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    We've reached that time when I should no longer post. image