Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

First PCGS graded MATTE PROOF 1C to get the +

BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭
Recently sold,

Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.

Comments

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin. Don't care about a plus.
  • Options
    Nice 1910 Brian. My computerized "Wizard of Oz" grading system tells me it's a 66.788467389202922000111110000000100000.3 * (pat. pend.; Copyright protected; TMed and a trade secret all in one!) And the system will cure baldness too! image

I'm just having fun with the new "+" thing, but the coin is truly top end!
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Technically speaking, are there not too many spots on the reverse, and also spots on lincolns forehead?
    Aside from luster, does it warrant the grade?
  • Options
    Photos giveth and taketh away.

I bought this coin from Stewart Blay. The photo does NOT do it justice. A Tru-View would be amazing.

The coin has the most sublime green tints on the reverse. And the obverse strike just takes your breathe away. The original patina just adds to the eye appeal.

It really is a special coin deserving of a + * red label or anything else you can give it. JMHO.

The new owner is very lucky.
  • Options

<< <i>Technically speaking, are there not too many spots on the reverse, and also spots on lincolns forehead?
    Aside from luster, does it warrant the grade? >>

Ambro, I can tell you that Stewart Blay owned this coin and tried it about 3 times for PR67RD, he then sold it to me who also tried it once for PR67RD, two other board members have owned this coin and would testify to its top end status. Once it got back in my control and the plus system was inplace, I immediately submitted it for the + and bingo!

You might want to check out some of the images in the MPL set registry where coins grading PR66RD are posted and compare their images to this coin. Anyone who has seen this coin "in hand" knows the true beauty of this coin.

BW
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    Oh dont get me wrong. All Im saying, is that it is my understanding that an MS66RD lincoln should not have spots.
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    yes, no doubt it's fabulous ;

I do not own any MPL's ......so I don't know , but I have seen many a pix and some have no carbon spots or fly-specking whatsoever.

and many a time I see a copper coin described for sale with the comment " held from a higher grade only by lite carbon spots " ......

so , with that said - I was surprised to see the coin with some carbon spots get a " + "

what I'm really saying ;( not necessarily taking this coin as an example ) is that I just presumed that any coin with carbon spots would automatically be excluded from

the top 20% of the grade spectrum
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    Hey PP, I really don't see any carbon spots on this jewel. There are some faint spots, but the image is blown up and in hand I'm betting they aren't distracting.
    "It is what it is."
  • Options

<< <i>Hey PP, I really don't see any carbon spots on this jewel. There are some faint spots, but the image is blown up and in hand I'm betting they aren't distracting. >>

Yep, that's how the coin looks in hand, just as you describe.

Thanks,
  • Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭
    I have and have seen many PR 66 MPLs with "spots" on them. I think people are confusing original crust with carbon spots. The former is more acceptable in the higher grades. JMHO
  • Options
    I'm not sure where folks get the idea that high end copper cannot have spots, blotches or flyspecks. Or why one would presume that a coin with any spots could not be in the top 20%.

For example, if you need descriptive matter on what a PR66 Lincoln proof should look like, review "The Official Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection" by PCGS. Second Edition (1997).

On page 42, the "Proof-66: Gem Proof" standards are stated in detail for a page, but the relevant part states: "Red copper can have a mellowing of color, and there can be an uneveness of color for red-brown and brown copper. Very minor spotting may be present."

If you read the entire description, I think this coin as a PR66RB qualifies even in the photo. But I'm sure it qualifies in-hand, as once again, I've owned it, and examined it in great detail. And, as Brian says, if he and Stewart submitted 2-3 times for a "RD" or "67" upgrade, you can bet that they had a good reason to do so.

And having seen a decent number of RD, RB and BN 66 mattes of all years, my thinking is that is coin is absolutely in the top 20% for it's grade and issue. JMHO. PCGS nailed it with this coin.

Duane
  • Options
    I guess I get my opinion from the MS64RD 1914D that I sent in for Presidential Review.

It came back with a little stick on with red pen lettering "spots limit grade to 64". I presume HRH wrote that.

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are spots and there are spots. An original coin that sat in an envelope for 100 years will likely get some spots that are in reality just on the surface. It is a sign of originality (too often missing nowadays). Then there are carbon spots that are little corrosion activity that are into the metal. These usually come after a coin has been cleaned and the protective skin is stripped away.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options

<< <i>I guess I get my opinion from the MS64RD 1914D that I sent in for Presidential Review.

It came back with a little stick on with red pen lettering "spots limit grade to 64". I presume HRH wrote that. >>

I'm was not trying to be a wiseguy - I think it's pretty well established that grading is subjective, and spotting on copper really depends on were the spots are and how many/size so on..... I can only speak about that 1910 specifically as I've seen it in-hand.

I've done a Presidential review myself over a rim spot, and my Lincoln 1909 actually even came back a grade lower! image So I get it!

Do you have a photo of the PR64? There is generally a notable difference between a PR64 and PR66, even in photos, but it sounds like your PR64 is just a tiny bit off from the gem PR65 mark with a comment like that. So I'd love to see what scared DH away from the 65.
  • Options
  • Options
    Thank you. That is a beautiful 14D. We should all be so lucky to have one like that!

And here are my immediate impressions right off the bat without any thought (I would have said the same things not already knowing its grade).

1) The scratched plastic surface probably does not allow for the best presentation of the coin per the photo;
    2) The 1914D is a mint state coin, and not proof coin, so the assessment of the spotting issue may be different (so I go to the PCGS Grading standard, page 27): "MS-66: Gem Uncirculated" -No mention of spotting for the MS66 grade, but on page 28, for MS-65, their is a note in bold letters: "Note: There can be a little minor spotting for copper coins."

I know from experience that the surfaces, strike and eye appeal are different between mint state and proof coins. So comparing the 1914-D and 1910 MPL is an apples/oranges thing, from my perspective.

But if David wrote a note about that spotting issue, the support for his view can be found right in the grading guide. Whether the 1914-D has "minor spotting" or a tiny bit more, or the location of the spotting (DH did not say this, but it may be implied) is the issue for the grader. And we could get one thousand opinions on that here and now! From the photo only, if someone were to ask me, I'd probably say that this coin looks gem, but the spots in the field in front of Lincoln do concern me as they are slightly distracting.

Again, JMHO. I really appeciate you listening to my opinion.
  • Options
    All I know...is that Im very happy to be 95% copper free in the collection now.

Just too finicky.
  • Options
    PM sent. I guess gold spotting is easier to deal with! image
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a really an outstanding and gorgeous MPL Brian!
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options

Thanks Charmy,

I failed to mention that the recent buyer of this coin told me how much he liked the coin when he received it.

Another satisfied customer is enough for me. image
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For what it's worth, I got three of mine to plus yesterday. I really felt that they all desreved the plus, but in retrospect, I'm glad their grading standards are somewhat stringent in this regard.

Hmmm, I wonder how many of my OGHs ar worthy of the plus??? I will probably never actually find out.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's amazing the way different series are graded. Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting this coin down. But if it were a Mercury Dime it would grade 64 tops.
  • Options

<< <i>It's amazing the way different series are graded. Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting this coin down. But if it were a Mercury Dime it would grade 64 tops. >>

That's a great observation. As I study more coin types and series, it becomes evident that coin grading is not only dictated by the internal aspects of the exact coin, but the 'relative' external factors that come into play. I guess the considerations of external factors are part of 'market grading' as we would call it. It's never really articulated well, but I think it somehow finds it way into the formal grade. I'm not sure that I articulated that very well, but to me, it's very cool stuff, IMO. image
  • Options
    Duane,
    I don't mean to criticize but what have you been smoking lately?
    Jonathan
  • Options
    What Duane is saying in a nutshell is how a special coin such as an 1849C open wreath gold dollar...that was removed from a mount...can get into a no problem Fine holder with NGC.

different rules apply for different coins. they shouldnt, but the do.
  • Options

<< <i>Duane,
    I don't mean to criticize but what have you been smoking lately?
    Jonathan >>

Electrum image
  • Options

<< <i>What Duane is saying in a nutshell is how a special coin such as an 1849C open wreath gold dollar...that was removed from a mount...can get into a no problem Fine holder with NGC.

different rules apply for different coins. they shouldnt, but the do. >>

Bingo. My point made, with a little more articulacy too, I might add.

Much obliged.
  • Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone really think it is possible to give a coin a plus grade with any level of accuracy? This is mearly a grade within a grade. The next evolution of this madness will be to replace the + with a decimal number, in other words MS65.5. Then the big two can start adding decimal grades such as MS65.2, MS65.8. There will be no end to it. Don't laugh, it could happen.
    buffnixx
    Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>It's amazing the way different series are graded. Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting this coin down. But if it were a Mercury Dime it would grade 64 tops. >>

while it's difficult to make such apples to oranges comparisons, I have seen many Mercury Dimes graded 65 and 66 which appeared no cleaner/no more appealing than the cent in question.