Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ebay will penalize sellers if more than 1/2% of buyers use resolution center

New rules effective this summer...top sellers lose the final value fee discount and may face selling restrictions if more than 1/2% (one in 200) of buyers files a complaint thru ebay or paypal resolution center...anything from bidder's remorse, slow mail, lost in the mail (even though ebay requires sellers to provide free insurance ) delivered but stolen by a household member or someone at an office address, buyer moved and failed to update address, or attempted credit card fraud.

All these things are beyond the control of the sellers. Ebay's promise of "seller protection" if the sellers followed all the rules (only accepted Paypal, proof of prompt mailing, paying for delivery confirmation, signature confirmation, insurance, using only delivery options where ebay can track the shipment online, proper packaging, did not charge excessive shipping, shipped only to confirmed address) is simply a marketing hoax.

The seller still receives a strike even if ebay ruled in favor of the seller!

from http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/standardsandclaims.html

Why are Buyer Protection cases being added as a measure of seller performance?

Opening a case with eBay or PayPal is strong indication of buyer dissatisfaction, yet buyers who open cases may never get to the point of leaving DSRs for sellers.

Are cases decided in the seller's favor counted toward the requirement? What about a case I resolve promptly with the buyer as soon as I know it's been opened?

The count of opened cases is determined before resolution and therefore may include some cases ultimately decided in the seller's favor, and/or cases where you promptly settle with the buyer.

Why is eBay even including a count of all cases, including those ultimately found in the seller's favor, or cases I resolve promptly with my customer?

Sellers are always expected to follow best practices that result in smooth transactions and high buyer satisfaction. Likewise, buyers are always encouraged to contact sellers first with any issues. For the vast majority of transactions, this direct buyer-seller communication works just the way it should. When a buyer is motivated to open a case with eBay or PayPal this is a clear sign of dissatisfaction. A high rate of opened cases is an indication that some aspect of a seller's service requires attention—regardless of the outcome of the case

What happens to sellers who do not meet the new requirements?

The majority of sellers will be able to continue to list and sell items, although their listings will be lowered in search standing. They may be offered coaching and training on selling best practices. In more serious situations, other consequences may also apply including limits to further selling, loss of eBay Top-rated seller status and discounts, and in some cases account suspension.

Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com

Comments

• Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
    BTDT, I think.
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>BTDT, I think. >>

Too bad I wasted a half hour on writing that post when the alternate thread had a title mentioning that
    seller discounts were affedted by SNAD complaints...that's always been true. I DO CHECK to see if a thread has
    already been created before I start one. But far too many posters can't seem to write a message title that describes
    the major point of their message.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    thanks for the thought out post Frank,

as I had not read that other thread either

do they require insurance?
    or will they just pull money from PAYPAL to reimburse buyer for 'problems'?

the cost of insurance for items under $50 is unbelievable percentagewise

I decide to self insure up to a couple hundred bucks, and package well
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭

<< <i>For the vast majority of transactions, this direct buyer-seller communication works just the way it should. >>

This is the biggest load of BS one could imagine. eBay has been relentlessly moving towards discouraging/eliminating direct buyer-seller communication for years.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>For the vast majority of transactions, this direct buyer-seller communication works just the way it should. >>

This is the biggest load of BS one could imagine. eBay has been relentlessly moving towards discouraging/eliminating direct buyer-seller communication for years. >>

As Russ mentioned in the other thread, this is another cloaked ebay revenue generator. They cant be satified with the just the jacked up final value fees.
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    Notwithstanding all of the tinfoil hat theories about why ebay does anything, I would bet there are exponentially more problems with sellers than buyers. I suspect there is a very small number of buyers that game the system, but that ball is clearly in the sellers court.

With a normal business, the business would chalk these onesy twosey losses to the price of doing business. But in the ebay world, many sellers think they are a big business even though they are small potatoes. They harrass buyers for any reason. I've personally been harrassed for not leaving feedback.

Well ebay is just treating those sellers as the bigshots they think they are. Ebay has been (IMO) destroyed by institutional sellers and is not the place it started out to be. So while I sympathize with the few sellers that legitimately get a bad break, I think the rules are there to pretect buyers from unscroupulous sellers.
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've personally been harrassed for not leaving feedback. >>

You should leave a NEG and then remark: "Here's your feedback. Are you happy now?"

I'm kidding, of course.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Shorting EBAY stock will be a really good idea at some point.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file