Home Precious Metals
Options

gold bullion vs. numismatic quality

I know gold is the safest investment right now, but is it better to have bullion or collectible coins? I've heard that if the government decides to confiscate gold again, they can take bullion but not numismatics. On the other hand, coins cost more. Do they really perform better? Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Gold is gold. I don't buy that pre 1933 BS. Bullion AGE's & Buff's.

If the "Talking Heads" want your gold they will want every bit no matter the form. JMO & 2 cents! Peace, Timimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    " but not numismatics" Do you trust Washington? They will take what they want when they want, with or without the constitutional power. Do I own gold, no sir! is my answer to them.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is a gold eagle in a PCGS holder "numismatic" or "bullion?" Guess who decides!

Don't think of gold as an investment. Try to think of it as a way to protect the value of your money. It is money, just a safer form of it. If confiscation worries you, buy silver, they might let you keep that.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME: WHAT THE GOVERNMENT DID IN 1933 WILL NOT DICTATE WHAT THE GOVERNMENT MAY OR MAY NOT DO IN THE FUTURE!!! FORGET ABOUT 1933!!!!!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME: WHAT THE GOVERNMENT DID IN 1933 WILL NOT DICTATE WHAT THE GOVERNMENT MAY OR MAY NOT DO IN THE FUTURE!!! FORGET ABOUT 1933!!!!! >>

no need to yell image

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Them guvment foks thinks that they kin dew anythin that they wont to do. I don't trust'em any further than I kin throw'em.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's start a rumor that because the government outlawed booze in 1919, and drunken driving is a big problem today, the government is going to outlaw booze again in 2011, and go around raiding everybody's liquor cabinets!!!!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Guberment don't want your gold, they want your money. That's why there is a property tax in the works for all gold bullion.

• Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>" but not numismatics" Do you trust Washington? They will take what they want when they want, with or without the constitutional power. Do I own gold, no sir! is my answer to them. >>

Gold what gold? image
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did FDR confiscate peoples silver in 1933 like he confiscated their gold bullion?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    This article was written in 2004 when there wasn't as much paper money being printed as there is now.

http://www.gold-eagle.com/editorials_04/willis112804.html
  • Options
    AboutAgAboutAg Posts: 201 ✭✭

<< <i>Did FDR confiscate peoples silver in 1933 like he confiscated their gold bullion? >>

Not with the original order in 1933, but on 09 Aug 1934 there was Executive Order #6814 that did require U.S. citizens to turn in some types of silver. Silver coins were exempt.

• Options
    rpwrpw Posts: 235 ✭✭
    It doesn't matter but understand that when crunch time comes any "numismatic premium" over the gold value will disappear. What you really need to beware of is storing your gold in a bank safety deposit box (SDB). Don't even think about it.
    imageimage Small Size National Bank Note Type Set $5-$100
  • Options
    cone10cone10 Posts: 1,021
    A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.
    Yogi Berra

• Options
    Who is John Galt?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    What Gold, I have none image
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Let's start a rumor that because the government outlawed booze in 1919, and drunken driving is a big problem today, the government is going to outlaw booze again in 2011, and go around raiding everybody's liquor cabinets!!!! >>

Ok you can have my gold but if you touch my beer there is going to a problem!
  • Options
    1201reset1201reset Posts: 185 ✭✭

<< <i>Did FDR confiscate peoples silver in 1933 like he confiscated their gold bullion? >>

No, LBJ did:

Linky

excerpt:

If anybody has any idea of hoarding our silver coins, let me say this. Treasury has a lot of silver on hand, and it can be, and it will be used to keep the price of silver in line with its value in our present silver coin. There will be no profit in holding them out of circulation for the value of their silver content.

_reset
  • Options
    sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭
    Who is John Galt?

Isn't he that guy that founded Galt's Gulch somewhere in Colorado? image

My whole perspective changed when I first read Atlas Shrugged some years ago.
    I'm trying to get my 15 year old to read it.
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • Options
    KUCHKUCH Posts: 1,186

<< <i>FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME: WHAT THE GOVERNMENT DID IN 1933 WILL NOT DICTATE WHAT THE GOVERNMENT MAY OR MAY NOT DO IN THE FUTURE!!! FORGET ABOUT 1933!!!!! >>

Capt. don't stress and walk the blank over this, Thar maties have that gold hidden down under the bridge!
  • Options
    If anybody has any idea of hoarding our silver coins, let me say this. Treasury has a lot of silver on hand, and it can be, and it will be used to keep the price of silver in line with its value in our present silver coin. There will be no profit in holding them out of circulation for the value of their silver content.>>

Famous last words. Was LBJ was right about anything?image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't forget that the government sometimes takes unpopular actions and justify it by citing precedents.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    That LBJ speech was a hoot. Typical government misinformation.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    Did anyone ever wonder why they find troves of silver and gold coins buried all over Europe (and I suppose elsewhere too)? Does anyone think that those in "power" ever really change? If the corrupt monetary system fails, they will simply outlaw any alternate forms of money and nobody will be able to use silver or gold either. Yeah, that'll fix it.

It really illustrates how stupid governments and power brokers really are. I rest my case.

On a positive note, my town has just issued an ordinance that allows the raising of chickens inside the city limits. Need I say more? Political brilliance at work.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

On a positive note, my town has just issued an ordinance that allows the raising of chickens inside the city limits. Need I say more? Political brilliance at work.image >>

Give it up for the city fowl!image
    Avid collector of GSA's.