Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Who are the new upgrade technicians ?

The new PCGS + can mean more in a Registry Set. But how much more and at $125 a pop. Does anyone have any stories about PCGS + coins bringing more money ? If so how much money? Is there such a thing as a "lock upgrade " ?

I sent in 9 coins and went 4 for 9. These are inexpensive duplicate coins. I believe my grading fees will be paid for by the upgrades. In my mind all 9 coins should have gone +. I will send all these coins to auction at the ANA in Boston. I will let you guys know how I do with these coins in auction.

Stewart

Comments

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1909 $5 in MS65+ just sold on Heritage yesterday.

The PCGS Guide price in 65 is $18,500 and in 66 it's $40,000.

The last few MS65s sold on Heritage for around $14-15k, this MS65+ sold for $23k

lot 2267
  • Options
    It seems like haveing the secure logo without the plus is a liability. If the coin is in a normal PCGS holder it may be a plus coin or it may not. If its in a secure holder without a plus you know its not a plus coin and will never be one.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It seems like haveing the secure logo without the plus is a liability. If the coin is in a normal PCGS holder it may be a plus coin or it may not. If its in a secure holder without a plus you know its not a plus coin and will never be one. >>

I agree, a SecurePlus holdered coin that didn't get a + will sell for less than an "old blue holdered" coin, assuming all else is equal and both coins look great.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    JMHO. I believe that within the next year or two, ALL newly holdered PCGS coins will be in the Secure Plus holder. I guess you can "think" the "blue" labeled coins will be treated like the old "green" labeled coins as far as price is concerned. A green labeled or blue labeled MS64 will then be worth MORE than a "secure" label MS64. Of course some people let the coin rather than the label determine value. Steveimage
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I admire any persons grading ability to be able to tell whether a coin graded at PCGS in say MS66, should actually be a MS66.8 or higher

by random number generation, you would suspect roughly 20% would meet this, but in actuality coins submitted are all higher/highest graded coins in a series so that these XX.8+ coins are on the right feather of a population distribution shaped curve, so more likely only 10-15% would be in this PLUS category

to get 4 out of 9 (44%), makes you very lucky or a very good grader- and seeing some of your great coins / sets it is apparent you are very good grader

the secure plus program clearly another marketing genious move from PCGS
    Is there a way to tell what percentage of the secure graded coins receive the PLUS (from all PCGS secure submissions)?

DonWillis has some nice examples of auction sales

on the US Coin Forum
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look, guys. The plus in itself is not nearly as important as you think. Any coin that grades in a SP holder in a 64, 65, 66 holder in certainly better than a 63+, 64+, 65+ respectively. Why would you view the non-plus coin as tarnished, when they very well may still be extremely solid for the grade (like say a 66.5) and wonderful coins. I watched an "OBH" 65 go 66 in a SP holder (no plus) at a local B&M. Are you saying that this was a bad outcome? The real benefit of the SP program is the SECURE part.

AND, there is also the simple fact that YOU STILL DON'T KNOW whether the coin was regraded and evaluated for the plus, or simply reholdered for the Secure part. It's still an open playing field, and anyone who doesn't treat it as such is shooting themselves, and the collecting community in the foot. What are we, "coin" or "plastic" collectors? Learn to evaluate coins on their merits alone and you will eventually find happiness.
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

I would guess that Stewarts 5 coins that didn't plus are very nice examples for the grade. Just because a coin didn't plus don't rule it out as not being PQ, it might be a MS66RD that graded 66.667?
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My CC Special was a Lincoln cracked out of a PCGS 64BN holder to address a small verdigris spot near a letter on the reverse. (verdi-gone product works as advertised) Thought it had an outside chance at a plus. Came back in a 63BN Secure Plus holder. You can guess from here what I did with it. image Sure am glad it wasn't my 65 dollars. Shag
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I plan to throw a few hundred coins at PCGS over the next month or two (in all different coin series) and see what is working and what isn't (I started giving PCGS some coins last week so I should start seeing some results in the next couple weeks). I'll submit some blazing brilliant Wash quarter "monsters", some monster toned quarters, some interesting Lincoln cents, Franklin half dollars, Morgan Dollars, $20 Gold, state quarters... you name it. What I would really like to see are coins getting the "full point" move up as well on secure plus regrade submissions where warranted, and I plan to keep an eye out for whether that is happening on a regular basis as well. Would someone post here if they actually get a full point move on a secure plus regrade please.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Craig: What type of coins were they that worked?

I'll keep you posted on Silver Washington quarters.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    I am also giving the new service a try. Have a few submissions in the pipeline and will continue sending more coins over the next few weeks. I was hoping for our first round of results Friday but they didn't show up image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It seems like haveing the secure logo without the plus is a liability. If the coin is in a normal PCGS holder it may be a plus coin or it may not. If its in a secure holder without a plus you know its not a plus coin and will never be one. >>

I agree, a SecurePlus holdered coin that didn't get a + will sell for less than an "old blue holdered" coin, assuming all else is equal and both coins look great. >>

I have to agree. I recently sent in a 1827 MS64. It did not upgrade. Now, I still think it is still a nice coin, but when the day comes to sell, will it still command market value in comparison to a similiar graded coin in a non-secure holder? I suspect that the secure holders will not bring the same value. I probably will resubmit under the normal express service.
    "The 2nd Protects the 1st"

Everyman Peace Dollar Set

Recommended Sellers with positive transactions: Coindeuce, Walkerguy21D, Connecticoin (ebay), itsnotjustme, camera28
  • Options
    I suspect there won't be a significant difference, since most collectors don't plan to resubmit the majority of their collection for regrading.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    It looks like we made our first "full point" upgrade on a Secure Plus Re-grade Submission

I'll post tomorrow after the coins arrive.

• Options
    Our first Full Point upgrade with Secure Plus

Now Pop 3/0 and the only MS68RD in a Secure Plus Holder???

I'm sure the OP will be happy to see it's a Lincoln !!!

• Options

Wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>Our first Full Point upgrade with Secure Plus

Now Pop 3/0 and the only MS68RD in a Secure Plus Holder??? >>

Yes, but now all some goofballs will see is a "Secure" coin without a "plus", and I'm sure they'll be thinking... must have missed the cut!!!
  • Options

renomedphys
    Collector

Wednesday May 05, 2010 5:42 PM (NEW!)

<< Our first Full Point upgrade with Secure Plus

Now Pop 3/0 and the only MS68RD in a Secure Plus Holder??? >>

Yes, but now all some goofballs will see is a "Secure" coin without a "plus", and I'm sure they'll be thinking... must have missed the cut!!!
    -------------------------
    Matt

Matt:
    I was thinking the same thing, has PCGS addressed this question? Why can't PCGS just change color on holders of coins that have beem upgraded a full grade in a SecurePlus holder, seems like an easy thing to do and worthy of consideration.
    Jonathan
  • Options
    For 2005 - 2010 business strike Lincoln's I wouldn't expect a plus for an MS68RD, tough enough to grade MS67's !!!!

<< <i>Yes, but now all some goofballs will see is a "Secure" coin without a "plus", and I'm sure they'll be thinking... must have missed the cut!!! >>

However good point, it's not an MS68RD "plus" LOL

• Options
    Now all you have to do is get it reholdered in a non-SP holder, and no one will ever know... image
  • Options
    With only 3 MS68's graded I would prefer to own the Secure MS68 Coin. Maybe the other 2 coins could go in for a re-grade under secure plus and see how they do? image
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I plan to throw a few hundred coins at PCGS over the next month or two

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together? image
  • Options
    You know it TDN !

I tip my hat to PCGS management!!

Wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>Don't you just love it when a plan comes together? >>

An A-Team fan image
  • Options
    Well, I got my three. End of the road? I think NOT.

PR66+ BN
    PR66+BN
    PR66+RB
  • Options

<< <i>Well, I got my three. End of the road? I think NOT.

PR66+ BN
    PR66+BN
    PR66+RB
    image >>

All three deserve the plus they got. Those are amazing coins.
  • Options
    Matt:
    Congratulations on your upgrades, you have a magnificent eye for beautiful MPL.
    Regards,
    Jonathan