Home Precious Metals
Options

1/4oz Canadian proof gold question

bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
A couple weeks ago, I bought a 1989 PCGS PR69DCAM 1/4oz gold coin for $305. At the time, I thought it was a good deal because at the time, gold quarters were going for $320. Well, I just got it today and wowzer! Pretty! However, I can't find anything about what it's actually worth. I know proof AGE's go for more than non proof so I was wondering if this was the case. I tried looking on Ebay, Apmex, and even wikipedia to try and find some mintages but with my computer at the shop per say, I can only do so much with my phone. So did I do GOOD or just ok?
Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times

Comments

• Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    $305 sounds good for 1/4oz slabbed gold in proof. Is coin .900 or .999? Picture?

I know nothing of Canada coinsimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    It's .9999 pure. I can't post a picture since my computer is down atm, but it looks JUST like a 1oz silver maple leaf. Only shinier, smaller, and gold! image My thinking was I might be able to trade it for a proof 1/4 AGE if they go for the same price. Gold may be gold, but I find proof AGE's beautiful.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't see a whole lot of those on the market. I'd say you did very good. High grades on gold maples are tougher than on gold eagles.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Way good for .9999image
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The price is good.
    However, there seems to be very little collector demand for the 1989 10th anniversary Maple Leaf coins. It is just glorified bullion.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.