Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Chance at a 9?

I picked up this raw Tommy John RC at a local show a couple of weeks ago and wanted to get a general opinion on it. I'm pretty confident it could get a 9, but am not sure if the print dot on the 'N' in Indians and the dot on Bob Chance's hat would knock it down too much. I measured the borders and they came out to 53/47 L/R and 51/49 T/B.

Sorry about the tilt. It wouldn't scan right with the scanner lid up. Also, the spots not mentioned are just due to a dirty scanner bed.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    wow great card!
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    It's very nice no matter what it grades! I like it.

The N on the Indians is rough, but it's probably worth taking a chance with such a nice card.

I can't predict a number grade because I'm no expert like a lot of the other guys here,

but what's the worst grade that you could receive? 8.0? Surely not worse than that, unless there are some hidden problems.
    Collecting: non-sports (celebrities, movies, tv, Batman, Wrestling & Wrestling Divas, & more), and sports (Spurs, Cowboys, Braves and other favorites)

My eBay Store: Chosen Point's Heroic Diversions eBay Store
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    I think the bottom right corner keeps it out of a 9 holder but really nice John nonetheless.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking card, but too much print for a 9.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I would guess psa 8....its a beauty!
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Gorgeous card!

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would bay an 8, looking at the print marks...

Great looking card none the less...image

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Nice looking card!

Remember, Nobody can accurately assess a card based solely on a scan. looks like you possibly have 8,9 range.
    Its all subjective, You may get some braindead TPGer and all bets are off.
    Bottom line: TPGing is always a crap shoot.
  • Options
    gtgrad99gtgrad99 Posts: 227 ✭✭
    Thanks to all for the feedback. Maybe I'll get the colorblind grader that won't notice the magenta splotch!
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Are those "Fish-eyes" in the background where the player heads are? Is it on the cards or just the close up of the scanners.