Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

This got graded a 6. What do you think it deserves?

This got a 6. What do you think it deserved?
Thanks for your help everyone.

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    That's a 9. What do I win?
  • Options
  • Options
    I agree with you guys!!
  • Options
    Wow... A 6? Does the card have a small wrinkle or surface bump?

Ryan
    1938 Cartledge Boxing cards psa 7 - psa 10
    1951 Topps Red backs psa 8 only!
    1960 Golden Press Presidential set Psa 8 's - Psa 9's
    1961 Golden Press psa 9's
    1976 Topps baseball psa 9 Stars
    1980 Kelloggs baseball Psa 9's - Psa 10's
    1988-1989 Fleer Basketball psa 9's
    1988-1989 Fleer Stickers psa 9's
    1989-1990 Fleer Basketball psa 10's
    1992 Coca-Cola Donruss Nolan Ryan 1-26 Psa 10 only Gpa 9.80++ E-mail Newyork00007@aol.com
  • Options
    It looks like a 8 .. or 1/2 better ,
    slight tilt though image
    1992 Coca-Cola Donruss Nolan Ryan 1-26 Psa 10 only Gpa 9.80++ E-mail Newyork00007@aol.com
  • Options
    itallions.... i don't see any wrinkle or bump. Pretty nice surface and corners (except for some slight wear on one of the corners).
  • Options
    looks like a 8-8.5
  • Options
    crack it and re-submit. It definitely looks like atleast an 8. If it comes back a 6 again, you will know you are missing small crease or something.
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • Options
    Not sure, but the area highlighted may be the problem

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options

<< <i>Not sure, but the area highlighted may be the problem

image >>

BINGO.. was thinking the same thing..
  • Options
    bsidegrve and dizzle,

that's the little black line printed by the factory. I thought it was very common on these cards. Does that black line bring down the card 1 or 2 grades?
  • Options

<< <i>bsidegrve and dizzle,

that's the little black line printed by the factory. I thought it was very common on these cards. Does that black line bring down the card 1 or 2 grades? >>

Hmm.. I'm aware of the line just never saw it on the edge like that..

It looked like a rubber band mark or something in the scan..
  • Options
    It's the black mark on the edge of the card. Look at this card with the mark and it gets an 8.

• Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    PSA 5
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure what it is, but I see somethin' on the first scan, edge, directly above Dr. J's head.

Steve
  • Options
    you may want to get it regraded and point out the thumb image above Magic's head. I believe that is an error variation and extremely rare.
  • Options
    Also, I know this card is known for having black print lines (not what's on this particular example, but print lines on the upper-right corner) on the Magic third.....but what about what appears to be white print dust on the bottom-right quarter of the Magic image?

Steve
  • Options
    Sdsports, that's a red print spot from the factory, same with the red spot way above magic's head on the edge of the colored border.

corvette, I took the pic with a digital cam. Those are glare off the reflection of the case.
  • Options

<< <i>Also, I know this card is known for having black print lines on the Magic third.....but what about what appears to be white print dust on the bottom-right quarter of the Magic image?

Steve >>

Good eye! That is white print dust. I've seen these cards with tons of it all over the face of the card and got better grades than a 6.
  • Options

<< <i>Sdsports, that's a red print spot from the factory, same with the red spot way above magic's head on the edge of the colored border. >>

Yea, I see the red print spot, but above that on the very white edge of the card, I'm seein' an indent or a dot or somethin' else.....

Steve
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Sdsports, that's a red print spot from the factory, same with the red spot way above magic's head on the edge of the colored border. >>

Yea, I see the red print spot, but above that on the very white edge of the card, I'm seein' an indent or a dot or somethin' else.....

Steve >>

The edge is tiny chipping. Or could be slight cuts where the factory might often make that damage behind the edge of the card. I've heard people tell me that that damage is not a big deal because it's common.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    There's a small back wrinkle coming in from the edge just under the word "Magic" in the sentence "Magic led the Lakers . . ." Look at it and tilt it and you will see it.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sdsports, that's a red print spot from the factory, same with the red spot way above magic's head on the edge of the colored border.

corvette, I took the pic with a digital cam. Those are glare off the reflection of the case. >>

Funny, 'vette!

I'm no expert, but he may have been kidding.
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

<< <i>that's the little black line printed by the factory >>

I don't follow these that much, but I don't recall seeing the print line sit so close to the edge in that location.

<< <i>Does that black line bring down the card 1 or 2 grades? >>

Again I don't follow these much, but I don't think they downgrade on this card for the factory print line

Mark
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options

<< <i>There's a small back wrinkle coming in from the edge just under the word "Magic" in the sentence "Magic led the Lakers . . ." Look at it and tilt it and you will see it. >>

Yep, I see that too. I'm also seeing another back wrinkle coming in from the edge between Johnny Kerr's and Chet Walker's names on the Dr. J third.

It sounds like when you put all this together.....the white print snow, the back wrinkles, the ding on the card's edge above Dr. J's head.....you get a PSA 6.

Steve
  • Options
    These pics were taken with a digital camera, nowhere as crisp as a scanner, so you guys are seeing lots of glare.
  • Options

<< <i>There's a small back wrinkle coming in from the edge just under the word "Magic" in the sentence "Magic led the Lakers . . ." Look at it and tilt it and you will see it. >>

We have a winner folks!

Mark
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options

What you guys are seeing is all over the back. Here is the pic double the size.
  • Options
    I still think you should resubmit it and tell them to note the thumb error on the flip. Just send in the picture with your sub.
  • Options

<< <i>I still think you should resubmit it and tell them to note the thumb error on the flip. Just send in the picture with your sub. >>

Ha ha.... good one!! I have to admit, your 5.5 grade was funny. You guys are like Sherlocke Holmes!!!
  • Options

<< <i>It's the black mark on the edge of the card. Look at this card with the mark and it gets an 8.

image >>

That is one old flip! I wonder what year the card was graded?

Ryan
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    100% sure there is a back wrinkle above the number 174 that curls over the perforation between the Dr. J and Magic card.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Also you need to show the flips to prove the grades are what you say they are.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Also you need to show the flips to prove the grades are what you say they are. >>

That's what I was thinking
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Also you need to show the flips to prove the grades are what you say they are. >>

That's what I was thinking >>

me too
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This card isn't a PSA 6 in the first place..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.