Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

One of those Ebay Feedback things...

I haven't sold on Ebay in about 3 years, a couple of weeks ago I put about 30 items on Ebay. Nearly everyone paid immediately or the next day. I invoiced everyone Sunday Night. The person who bought this item hadn't paid, but sent me an email on April 28 with the following message, "Will pay on 4/30/2010. Thanks."

I DON'T RESPOND. Lets note that. So today, I check my paypal account and there is $2.48 (minus paypal fees). So another one paid, I am about to go leave feedback and I notice feedback has already been left for me...That's Odd. I check it and see my first negative period on Ebay. This was the message, "Seller was rushing for payment after 2 days of winning bid."

WHAT???!?!?!

I've called Ebay and it doesn't meet there requirements for feedback removal. But according to the rep, I am in the right. I also asked since he's left feedback whats to stop me from ripping the card into a million pieces or not even sending it. GOD ITS $2.48 I don't even care about the $$$, but the negative really hacks me. His feedback is 10. Mine is approaching 700, mostly buying. Stuff likes this floors me. I've already requested the buyer review the feedback he left, but I doubt it will do anygood.

And before you can say it, yes I am sorry this happened to me too.

What recourse do I have, assuming he revises it or retracts it what's stopping him from changing back to negative once he gets the card?
Matt's Card Page
What I'm selling

Building Sets, Collecting Texas Rangers, and Texas Tech Red Raiders

Comments

• Options
    nflhofnflhof Posts: 189 ✭✭
    I would take your own sweet time in sending the card to the buyer. At least that way you can give her/her some grief in waiting for the item. This buyer is looking to cause trouble IMO.
  • Options
    I would complain to ebay because it is their automatic reminder that actually caused him to feel rushed. That being said, the buyer is a real nub and I agree with nflhof and would take as much time as possible before mailing the card, he can't screw you twice.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

MOST unwarranted NEGs are left by SCUM that buys tiny-money junk.

If I was the seller, that $2.48 item would definitely be "lost in the mail."

Make sure to block the "buyer" immediately or he will continue to mess
    with your listings.

Since the 4-day NPB-clock was implemented, EBAY has been sending
    repeated reminders to buyers who fail to pay promptly. Sellers continue
    to be blamed for the multiple invoices.

EBAY claims to have changed the frequency of the reminders; they have
    not done so.

BINs with Immediate Payment Required prevent such problems.

"...Bid with confidence as I have 100% feedback rating. Card will come shipped securely in top loader, inside a team bag, in a bubble mailer. Insurance available, delivery confirmation included, returns accepted within 7 days...."

Calling attention to 100% FB in a listing can be a magnet
    for SCUM to mess with your FB.

The "insurance" line is a TOS violation. Sellers are no longer
    allowed to charge a separate fee for insurance. Any fee for
    insurance must be:

1. Included in S+H.

or

2. Included in the item price.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would complain to ebay because it is their automatic reminder that actually caused him to feel rushed. That being said, the buyer is a real nub and I agree with nflhof and would take as much time as possible before mailing the card, he can't screw you twice. >>

Bingo.

I haven't sold in a while. But if there's a way to disable this, it would help smooth the tension between buyers and sellers. I know I hate it when I get a reminder a day and a half after an auction ended, especially when I'm still looking at other stuff the seller has up for auction.
  • Options
    matthewbschultz83matthewbschultz83 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Storm. You are an asset to this board in instances like this. Like I said I haven't sold in 3-4 years since I was in college. I will definately change the insurance note in future listings. I have never done BINs. For me its not about the money, its about getting rid of junk and putting some cash in my paypal account to help offset some stuff I buy. The first thing I did was block him.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Matt - I don't know if you noticed, but you weren't the only one who got that feedback.

Not sure if that would help your case with ebay or not, Storm would know if it is worth another call. The guy seems like a loose nut
  • Options

"...Not sure if that would help your case with ebay or not, Storm would know if it is worth another call. The guy seems like a loose nut..."

////////////////////////////////////////////////

It might be worth calling EBAY again, but I would not be optimistic.
    Never know until you try, though.

If you call EBAY, refer them to the buyer's FB left for others. Tell
    them the buyer is complaining about "the reminders that EBAY
    sends automatically." (If true, tell them you "sent no reminders.")

MANY such appeals have been made. I have no personal knowledge
    as to whether any have been successful; the ones I know about
    have all failed.

The "buyer" - twcb08261 - should prolly be on LOTS of blocked-bidder lists.

• Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    WOW - what a complete douche

• Options
    The "buyer" - twcb08261 - should prolly be on LOTS of blocked-bidder lists.

he is now on my BBL.

Thanks Ebay for harassing our customers with stupid reminders. I still wait 8 days before sending a reminder and 14-16 days before filing a NPB.
  • Options
    "...Thanks Ebay for harassing our customers with stupid reminders...."

/////////////////////////////////////////

I agree.

BUT, they really had no choice.

If no reminders were sent - under the 4-day rule - buyers would
    have been slammed with TONS of NPB-notices. Experienced buyers
    got used to the 7-day rule; the change would have caught most of
    them offguard.

EDIT ADD:

Under EBAY's policies, ALL "customers" belong to EBAY. The seller
    has no controlling-proprietary relationship with those customers.

• Options
    How do you add someone to your blocked buyer list?

Bob
    Not an alt, just a lurker

Looking for Bob Uecker cards

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options

hit site map at bottom of page.

hit "block bidder" line on site map.

paste the name in the BBL.
  • Options
    Got it. Thanks

Bob
    Not an alt, just a lurker

Looking for Bob Uecker cards

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    Just a quick comment:

Even in the face of a Negative already received, I would say it is still the seller's DUTY to ship the card OR refund all of the buyer's money.

Doing anything else would be at least unethical, and at worst, criminal.

My advice would be to send the card as it has been paid for, and to continue to appeal the feedback in every way you can.

If you don't send the card, then a negative feedback would then be seen as "justified," regardless of the actual verbiage of the feedback.

I wrote some stuff about those eBay Payment Reminders on one of the threads here yesterday.

I'll see if I can find that thread about the overzealous eBay seller. EDIT: I found it, here's the link:

Overzealous eBay seller thread

The whole point is, if you want to use the eBay system to sell your items, you have to abide by their rules and policies,
    and the Payment Reminders seem to be here to stay.
    Collecting: non-sports (celebrities, movies, tv, Batman, Wrestling & Wrestling Divas, & more), and sports (Spurs, Cowboys, Braves and other favorites)

My eBay Store: Chosen Point's Heroic Diversions eBay Store
  • Options

<< <i> I would say it is still the seller's DUTY to ship the card OR refund all of the buyer's money.
    >>

No one stated otherwise, love the bold print though.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> I would say it is still the seller's DUTY to ship the card OR refund all of the buyer's money.
    >>

No one stated otherwise, love the bold print though. >>

Well, not to be a narc, but Storm said if he was the seller than it would be sure to get "lost in the mail." image

I was just advising that if the OP was thinking about NOT sending the card OR refunding the buyer, it would not be a good idea.

Just a little free & friendy advice for the seller, that's all. image

EDIT: And I would either send it immediately, or refund immediately, because delaying the shipment or refund will only make things worse. image
    Collecting: non-sports (celebrities, movies, tv, Batman, Wrestling & Wrestling Divas, & more), and sports (Spurs, Cowboys, Braves and other favorites)

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

No one stated otherwise, love the bold print though. >>

Well, not to be a narc, but Storm said if he was the seller than it would be sure to get "lost in the mail." image

I was just advising that if the OP was thinking about NOT sending the card OR refunding the buyer, it would not be a good idea.

Just a little free & friendy advice for the seller, that's all. image

EDIT: And I would either send it immediately, or refund immediately, because delaying the shipment or refund will only make things worse. image >>

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

If my true and honest statement,

"If I was the seller, that $2.48 item would definitely be "lost in the mail,""

was construed to mean STEAL THE PSYCHO SCUM's money, that was
    not my intention.

I would, of course, refund the $2.48 when the CRAZY FILTH filed his INR-claim
    with EBAY/PayPal.

In a busted EBAY transaction, the ONLY act that can "make things worse,"
    is ANY effort to rehab the deal.

The subject "buyer" is a serial JERK, based on his FB left for others.

I would only complete a deal with him - after he NEGd me - if I suddenly
    became a stark raving, self-hating lunatic.

Other folks should not be influenced by how I handle such situations. They
    should do what they think is best for them.

• Options
    I understand storm, I was just trying to make a point that matthewb needed to ship OR refund, and not play games with the transaction, it's not in his best interest. image

I agree with you wholeheartedly, once the transaction is broken, there's no point to continue on with it, especially the higher the dollar value of the item.

I have seen some wacky stuff on eBay, but it seems much wackier lately with pressure the sellers have for DSR's and high fees, and the lengths that some buyers will go to get something valuable for free.

If I received the negative before shipping, I would just refund the money and try to appeal that feedback, which is what you're saying (and said), that there is no way you would ship that item out after receiving a negative prior to shipping. Again, I agree wholeheartedly.

I know you are MUCH respected for all things eBay and otherwise on this board, and I certainly didn't mean to misconstrue your original statement or imply that you as a seller would not refund or ship the item. image

I just like talking about the eBay stuff, I'm interested in others' eBay interactions, and eBay itself. I may not like all the eBay policies, but I like the eBay system in general, so it's often fun and educational to chat about individual transactions like this. image

• Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    Personally I would refund the buyer. Then take that card and securely wrap it with one of my baby's used diapers after he ate some carrots or something with obscure color image then ship it off to him image

Just Kidding

seriously though I would just ignore the buyer until he sent a INR claim as storm said then refund him his 2.48

This is one reason why I don't like selling on feebay.

Personally I think this is an alt ebay ID from some other seller who was out to ruin your FB over less then 3 bucks. I had this happen to me on an ebay ID I had since 1999. I had 100% FB over 3,000 different FB. Well I swear some seller wanted to ruin my FB came in with a new account w/ less then 10 FB and bought 149 cards from me. All 149 cards were under a buck each. It came to less then 75 bucks total w/o ship costs. well I sent them out he got them but left me neg for all 149 listings said stuff like "life sucks don't it" and "awe no more perfect feeback" and "bad seller, don't buy from this seller". I had every card scanned well and description well done. I shipped them off within 12 hours of payment. I used a card box with bubble wrap inside another box with peanuts and taped it well shut. I offered the buyer a refund but he ignored me. I showed ebay the whole emails asking him if he wanted refund and how he got them with DC proof of delivery they did nothing for me said "the buyer has the right to Neg me". My FB was so bad I couldn't sell anything no matter how low it was. I gave up that account and made a new one. I wasn't happy to have to start all over again but I survived.

• Options

<< <i>Personally I think this is an alt ebay ID from some other seller who was out to ruin your FB over less then 3 bucks. I had this happen to me on an ebay ID I had since 1999. I had 100% FB over 3,000 different FB. Well I swear some seller wanted to ruin my FB came in with a new account w/ less then 10 FB and bought 149 cards from me. All 149 cards were under a buck each. It came to less then 75 bucks total w/o ship costs. well I sent them out he got them but left me neg for all 149 listings said stuff like "life sucks don't it" and "awe no more perfect feeback" and "bad seller, don't buy from this seller". I had every card scanned well and description well done. I shipped them off within 12 hours of payment. I used a card box with bubble wrap inside another box with peanuts and taped it well shut. I showed ebay he got them with DC proof of delivery they did nothing for me said "the buyer has the right to Neg me". My FB was so bad I couldn't sell anything no matter how low it was. I gave up that account and made a new one. I wasn't happy to have to start all over again but I survived. >>

Probably just wasn't a Jeter fan image
  • Options
    Ha Ha Ha image

the cards were all 1980-1984 Topps cards raw
  • Options
    Wow, see that is a wacky eBay story right there Twiley.

I would have tried to fight that one to no end, but I know sometimes its just easier to let it go and start over.

I don't think eBay would refuse to delete a negative feedback which says "life sucks, don't it" at this point in time, but I may be wrong.

Again, wacky stuff, thanks for sharing that story, but of course, I'm sorry that it happened in the first place.

• Options

<< <i>I would have tried to fight that one to no end, but I know sometimes its just easier to let it go and start over. >>

Trust me I did fight it for all I was worth. Ebay did nothing to help me. Even after I resorted to begging for their help it got me no where.

<< <i>I don't think eBay would refuse to delete a negative feedback which says "life sucks, don't it" at this point in time, but I may be wrong. >>

Happened to me on Nov. 8th 2006 right before the holiday sales. Back then things were really selling on ebay too. The whole ordeal really messed me up for a few months.

I still sell stuff on ebay but its like what storm said all BIN. Also I don't bother selling anything under 5 bucks.
  • Options
    buy something off me and leave negative feedback before I get a chance to send it to you, because of ebay's stupid reminders to pay , and guess what? you will never receive it. this is why sellers should be aloud to slam and give negative feedback to the idiot buyers like this. I have had to much crap lately from buyers that think they can dictate terms & conditions to me (because they know I can't leave nothing but positive feedback) lets make the playing field level again. here is 2 idiots you can put on your BBL afrosamuraijp & jujags18 Opps sorry I bid and won cause I aint gonna pay. oh geez thanks I luv buyers like this.

Let's get real , I wish i could meet you face to face, when you screw with my income ,cause you think it's funny. sort of like getting positive feed back like this: " received item just as described but not as good as I thought it would be and smells like SH*T and I am not happy" hey I offer 7 day refund so quit crying, just email me and send the item back. hey but thanks for the positive feedback with 1 & 2 stars. KISS MY **S. JMHO. image

edited to say: u don't really want to know how I really feel!
  • Options
    Thanks for all input guys I do appreciate it. This was the only place to post this where I get quality opinions on the matter and hear the guy called a few names.

sdkcp I will ultimately "do what is right" in this situation. My parents raised me better than his. I will take my time mailing the item, maybe late next week, maybe May 15th, maybe use some reused stamps, maybe not use enough postage so it comes back to me a couple of times. And as Storm pointed out my little line about 'cards shipped securely in a top loader in a bubble mailer, insurance extra, DC included,' is incorrect because I can't charge extra for insurance. So I will probably send in PWE without a toploader....

Actually I'll probably whuss out in the end...

Anyway I called eBay a second time....

I don't know about y'all but when you call 'customer service' for whatever entity and start to raise your voice I expect the person on the other end to take it and not argue back. This is the opposite of what she did, furter incensing me. Long story short this type of feedback isn't covered under Ebay's removal policy. I am screwed. Its not considered 'malicious bidding' because they paid. Why would someone pay just to leave a neg is eBay's thought. Two points that are laughable that during the phone call made steam come out my ears. I mentioned something about the 'star' system and how as a fairly new seller this would really hurt me. She then lectured me I can't assume what he did/didn't do. I sarcastically replied that people usually leave a negative and then give 5 stars....

The last thing she said to me that had me telling her thanks for nothing and hanging up was that if I had better communication with my buyers issues like this wouldn't happen. Nevermind thinking logically that YOUR overcommunication caused this. As a result I am now including the following verbage in my eBay selling:

"You have 8 days to pay me or contact me about paying. I will invoice you ONCE immediately after the item ends. You won't hear from again unless you don't pay by that 8th day. Now Ebay will send you a Payment reminder each day starting 24 hours after you don't pay. These ARE NOT GENERATED BY ME. I AM NOT SPAMMING YOU. EBAY IS. Please do not take your feedback issues out on me. Thanks and Good Luck."

He paid via paypal, I have his email address. Is it worth emailing him directly, not going through ebay, explaining the situation regarding the emails? The last time I emailed him through the eBay messaging system and asked him why he did this since he hadn't received his card yet and all I did was invoice him once.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options
    I think I would take a dump in a bubble mailer and send him that

Or not

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options
    "You have 8 days to pay me or contact me about paying. I will invoice you ONCE immediately after the item ends. You won't hear from again unless you don't pay by that 8th day. Now Ebay will send you a Payment reminder each day starting 24 hours after you don't pay. These ARE NOT GENERATED BY ME. I AM NOT SPAMMING YOU. EBAY IS. Please do not take your feedback issues out on me. Thanks and Good Luck."

yes this is what all sellers should do, because Ebay is just out to make money and trying to lower everyones DSR ratings, Ebay sucks when it comes to seller satisfaction , because we know the customer is always right ( hey just got a PSA 9 52 mantle but looks like an 8.5 to me I still want the card but I want half my money back) eaby sure you should get half your money back cause the seller was trying to screw u, and we know you are a better grader than who ever graded the card in the first place.
  • Options
    I think I may have another one...

Got a guy with 8 feedback who bids and wins this. This was left in his feedback and a feedback he left for others...

What do I do? I would just assume cancel the transaction with this joker and give the #2, runner-up the item for his max bid. Can I do that?

Thanks again. I am newb to selling here.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options

"...I would just assume cancel the transaction with this joker and give the #2, runner-up the item for his max bid. Can I do that?..."

//////////////////////////////////////////////////

No. Unless you want another NEG.

Also, your rant about EBAY "spamming" will get your listing
    removed, if the listing is reported and the wrong CS-monkey
    reviews it.

Gotta stay calm.

• Options
    LittletweedLittletweed Posts: 623 ✭✭✭
    I thought I read that soon you'll be able to opt-out of those automated eBay messages. Anyone else read/hear about that?
    Matt

• Options

<< <i>I thought I read that soon you'll be able to opt-out of those automated eBay messages. Anyone else read/hear about that? >>

//////////////////////////////

The "payment reminders" will become optional sometime between
    June and September.

LOTS of other changes will be coming, too.

New "seller ratings" will all but guarantee that most small sellers
    in many categories will be gone FAST.

INR/SNAD claims - even if they are quickly resolved by letting the
    thieving "buyer" prevail - will count against sellers' ratings.

JUNK from China and mega-sellers is where JD wants to take
    the ship.

JD sees auctions falling "to less than 30%" of total listings in 2010/11.
    The genius must be blind; the count is already 90/10 in many categories.

Anon emails:

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/memberemailanonomity.html

This is designed to STOP sellers from doing off-EBAY transactions.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Personally I think this is an alt ebay ID from some other seller who was out to ruin your FB over less then 3 bucks. I had this happen to me on an ebay ID I had since 1999. I had 100% FB over 3,000 different FB. Well I swear some seller wanted to ruin my FB came in with a new account w/ less then 10 FB and bought 149 cards from me. All 149 cards were under a buck each. It came to less then 75 bucks total w/o ship costs. well I sent them out he got them but left me neg for all 149 listings said stuff like "life sucks don't it" and "awe no more perfect feeback" and "bad seller, don't buy from this seller". I had every card scanned well and description well done. I shipped them off within 12 hours of payment. I used a card box with bubble wrap inside another box with peanuts and taped it well shut. I offered the buyer a refund but he ignored me. I showed ebay the whole emails asking him if he wanted refund and how he got them with DC proof of delivery they did nothing for me said "the buyer has the right to Neg me". My FB was so bad I couldn't sell anything no matter how low it was. I gave up that account and made a new one. I wasn't happy to have to start all over again but I survived. >>

Why would 149 negs from one person ruin your feedback? They only counted each unique buyer ID once for negs. And anybody who read the negs would know you were clearly in the right.

Hard to believe Ebay didn't help either, given what the guy wrote in the feedbacks.

Tabe
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I no longer sell on ebay.

Just not worth it.

Steve
    Good for you.