Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What does 'Collector Grade' mean

ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was perusing a dealers website a few minutes ago and noticed that on several of the coins they referred to them as 'collector grade' in the context of 'a high end collector grade' coin or 'a nice collector grade coin perfect for a type set'. The grades on the coins ranged from low AU to MS and all were at least several hundred dollars apiece.

I do see this term used on other sites...does it really mean something such as a presumed sweet spot combining grade/price or just 'Numismatic Fluff' designed to fill out a description?

K
ANA LM

Comments

• Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Cleaned or otherwise inferior....
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to think it's the "presumed sweet spot combining grade/price".

I think it really indicates price more than anything; i.e., cheap enough and with enough detail to appeal to the largest group of collectors.
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cleaned or otherwise inferior....

I should have noted that all of the coins on the site labeled as such were top two TPG graded.

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Understood, however, for me that is the connotation of "collector grade" or "nice collector coin" as used in most ads -- a problem waiting to be sold to the unwary.
  • Options

<< <i>Understood, however, for me that is the connotation of "collector grade" or "nice collector coin" as used in most ads -- a problem waiting to be sold to the unwary. >>

<< <i>I think it really indicates price more than anything; i.e., cheap enough and with enough detail to appeal to the largest group of collectors. >>

So let's combine these two thoughts for a follow-up question.

Does the largest group of collectors prefer to buy problem coins - cleaned or otherwise inferior - because they are cheaper?
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    For Morgans it refers to MS65 and better. I have seen this on a few sites.

• Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Common affordable grade. Means G-VG for some coins, and 66 for others.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, what does "average circulated" mean in dealer ads?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Non Investor Grade! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>Non Investor Grade! image >>

Haha that's what I was thinking as well. For those of us who aren't good enough to invest in coins and can only collect them...
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    Low end dealers use the term on coins that are out of the price range they are used to dealing in. For example, as shop near me only has coins in G to VF , so a AU55 would be "collector grade" to them.
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So, what does "average circulated" mean in dealer ads? >>

AG-G
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    I retract my answer. I read it as investor grade. I concur with the previous responders.

In Morgans, investor grade is MS65 and higher. Collector grade would be lower than that
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Understood, however, for me that is the connotation of "collector grade" or "nice collector coin" as used in most ads -- a problem waiting to be sold to the unwary. >>

<< <i>I think it really indicates price more than anything; i.e., cheap enough and with enough detail to appeal to the largest group of collectors. >>

So let's combine these two thoughts for a follow-up question.

Does the largest group of collectors prefer to buy problem coins - cleaned or otherwise inferior - because they are cheaper? >>

Unfortunately, yes (and I have heard this from many dealers over the years).
    Some of the time, collectors just think that they are getting a sweet deal, without stopping to realize that there is no numismatic Santa Claus.
    This overly price-conscious approach to acquiring coins is a key reason why 95+% of coin collectors lose money when they sell their coin collections (or their heirs do).
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Non Investor Grade! image >>

Haha that's what I was thinking as well. For those of us who aren't good enough to invest in coins and can only collect them... >>

Well it's true as Collector Grade stops at MS64.
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    I would be disappointed if an ANA member dealer used that term. Levels of interpretation should be kept to published standards.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Collector grade is a coin that is toooooo high priced for me. Widgets do it IMO.

Ken
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    So............it appears as if everybody has their own opinion of what "collector grade" means?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>Collector grade is a coin that is toooooo high priced for me. Widgets do it IMO.

Ken >>

Widgets would fall under "Dreckateer Grade"! image
  • Options

<< <i>So............it appears as if everybody has their own opinion of what "collector grade" means? >>

Of course.

Did you really expect anything different?

• Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>I'd like to think it's the "presumed sweet spot combining grade/price".

I think it really indicates price more than anything; i.e., cheap enough and with enough detail to appeal to the largest group of collectors. >>

I think this is a spot on definition
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    lcoopie - can I quote you on that?

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

to me it means, "it's weak, but at least you'll have an example"

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I think it really indicates price more than anything; i.e., cheap enough and with enough detail to appeal to the largest group of collectors. >>

I think this is a spot on definition >>

I agree, too.

I might rewrite it as: "Affordable to most collectors, presentable condition, often mid-grade for the issue (ie. Good for a Chain Cent, XF for a seated quarter, MS-64 for an 84-CC Morgan, etc.)." I would also add that it is not "investment grade".
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>lcoopie - can I quote you on that?

image >>

yes, it means nothing
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>lcoopie - can I quote you on that?

image >>

yes, it means nothing >>

Ahhh...
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's akin to describing a Morgan with "clean cheek". Could mean at least two different
    things that I can see...

Just fluff. Buy the coin not the type.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    I've always considered myself a ' 'Collector Grade' type collector. In that I always buy a grade below the price jump and always with eye appeal weighted heavy. Over the years it has worked well for me.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The meaning varies all over the board. If it's most of the dealers I like shopping with it means, "The next grade up takes a nasty price jump." If it's some of the really bad huckster types that I avoid at all costs it means, "I couldn't get this dog into a holder and you won't be able to either." In between it can also mean, "It's not worth paying to have it certified" or "It's what I have for sale right now and I'm trying to move it."
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    swhuckswhuck Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I think this is a spot on definition >>

I agree, too.

I might rewrite it as: "Affordable to most collectors, presentable condition, often mid-grade for the issue (ie. Good for a Chain Cent, XF for a seated quarter, MS-64 for an 84-CC Morgan, etc.)." I would also add that it is not "investment grade". >>

Completely agree here.
    Sincerely,

Stewart Huckaby
    mailto:stewarth@HA.com
    ------------------------------------------
    Heritage Auctions
    Heritage Auctions

2801 W. Airport Freeway

Dallas, Texas 75261

Phone: 1-800-US-COINS, x1355
    Heritage Auctions

Leave a Comment