Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is anyone else here concerned with the eating habits of Cliff Mishler, especially since he is Presid

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
I recently re-subscribed to Numismatic News. The articles are generally good, and I remembered how much I liked reading about the numismatic travels of Clifford Mishler in his articles. He tends to put a homespun touch in the articles, such as referring to his Town Car, his dogs and cats, and his family.

The other thing that he focuses on is the restaurants that he eats at during his travels. He gets down to what he actually orders during his meals. I, for one, am getting a little concerned. Rather than eating at the finest establishments that the ANA President deserves to eat at, he frequently stops by Cracker Barrel, Shoney's, roadside buffets, and the like. He orders things like stuffed French toast for breakfast and other things that are not the most healthy for you. It seems that he does this on a consistent and regular basis.

As a member of the ANA, I have concerns about what our President is eating. Has anyone else noticed this as well, and does it cause you a concern? Does he owe us all, as numismatists, to eat healthier, because he is our President?
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭
    He walks everyday.
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    No. What he eats is his business and if he wants to tell everyone about it, that's up to him.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uh, no.
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Longacre I share your concern for this. I think some of this can be put down to a 'being one of the people' approach somewhat akin to the much ballyhooed 'Management by walking around' trend of a few years ago. Having observed both dealers and collectors eating habits at a number of shows (small ones for sure but I am almost 100% positive that the same thing goes on at larger shows) and noticing that healthy eating is generally not a concern, being President of one of the largest organizations representing these folks aligning yourself with them as much as possible helps understanding their positions and can assist in garnering votes and political allies.

'Let them eat cake' didn't work out too well for Marie Antoinette and I don't think a 'Let them eat steak, caviar and foi gras' shows you are aware of the condition of the common collector and dealers in the Numismatic universe, at least in the US anyway. Maybe European collectors and dealers have more refined tastes, not sure.

Just curious...has 'the man' changed the menu recently in the executive dining room to include healthier but less tasty fare and as a result you are thinking about changing professions to one where you can indulge in butter basted fare to your hearts content (at least until it stops working as a result!!)) image

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    As an ANA life member, I have to answer that question "Hell No!" If I were a member of his
    family, then I might have some say in the matter.
  • Options
    deviousdevious Posts: 1,690
    healthy? american? irony...
  • Options
    cwtcwt Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    He's probably eating healthier than most of the dealers do at coin shows.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quit reading magazines and get back to work. You are wasting The Man's time.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    My concern is with the imbibing habits of Longacre. Sitting in his overstuffed leather chair, en-cozyed in a fine Italian handmade smoking jacket and sipping VSOP can strain the liver and nearby organs. The Man would be lost without Longacre’s guidance to Beijing cuisine and Cuban cigar.
  • Options
    Scraping the bottom of the barrel for questions today aren't we??
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Scraping the bottom of the barrel for questions today aren't we?? >>

Busted!image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    The people who publish the "What is healthy and what is unhealthy" lists are eager to create work for themselves. They publish a lot of crap that sounds good but it is mostly self serving. They also probably get support from the manufacturers of some of the expesive food options they recommend. The bottom line is that fat isn't that bad for you, proteins are needed and often improperly excluded from diets, and carbohydrates are over-emphasized or ignored when they are the cause of the problem. Unless you have a health issue to address (such as a genetic predisposition to high cholesterol), then good health is just an energy balance. Burn as much as you eat, and you won't gain weight. Obesity if the root of most health problems which are often called by the name of their symptoms because it just isn't seen as ok to say, "You're just too fat." Fat is ok and we spend millions of dollars of healthcare money treating it. It isn't in the healthcare industries best interest to keep people thin either. I don't get to run anymore now that I'm a single dad but after I finish my double cheeseburger I have some foot errands to run and I don't take elevators. I will walk 72 holes of golf this weekend and will once again carry my daughter on hikes through yosemite. If you can keep up, you're welcome to join us.

Eat your protein, accept the fat that comes with it. Exercise more than you eat, and you'll live long and prosper.

Cheesburger is now done. I'm off.

-Jerry

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Longacre I hope you haven't been loosing sleep over this image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    all i have to say is that I'm craving some stuffed french toast right about now image

a place where I grew up used to make bacon stuffed french toast, hahaha, now that's pretty healthy image i prefer the banana stuffed variety.
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Based on the popularity of the Five Guys thread a while back, i think Mishler eats healthier than most of us image
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Screen shot....lok at the Ad

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eating habits!!! This is a real reach for a coin forum. This is a all timer I believe.

Ken
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Eating habits!!! This is a real reach for a coin forum. This is a all timer I believe.

Ken >>

[insert statements about the decline of this forum / this is why I don't post as much any more / too much off-topic / etc etc / ad infinitum]

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    Your concern is quite touching. Is there more to this relationship than meets the eye?
  • Options
    Something must be done! Cliff eating at Big Boy threatens to drag the image of numismatists out the smoking chair and down into the muck of hoi polloi! image
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a ridiculous bottom of the bunghole scraping post.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What a ridiculous bottom of the bunghole scraping post. >>

Wow. And you clearly raised it a higher level.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time for Longacre to re-boot his discussion topic generator.
  • Options

<< <i>Time for Longacre to re-boot his discussion topic generator. >>

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lunch suggestion

• Options
    SunnywoodSunnywood Posts: 2,683
    This is a good example of why I don't bother with these boards much anymore.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is a good example of why I don't bother with these boards much anymore. >>

Aw, come on. This is a totally tongue-in-cheek post. I thought it was quite humrous.

Frankly, I am more worried about Longacre's dining habits (which I have now witnessed in person) than Mr. Mishler's (whom I would not know from Adam). image
  • Options

<< <i>This is a good example of why I don't bother with these boards much anymore. >>

Ouch... That's gonna leave a mark! image
  • Options
    This is a ridiculous post about the eating habits of the president of the ana.
    Get a life Longacre.
    This by far is OT.
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    I've known Cliff since 1974 and have to say . . . I'll have what he's having.

In the intervening decades, Cliff has dropped, by my conservative WAG, 50 pounds and kept it off for decades.

He's 70 years old now, and I don't know that he's ever spent a night in a hospital.

His daily "constitutional" when he's on the road seems to offset any ill effects from his choice of fine dining establishments.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    What I want to know is when Mister Longacre is going to stop doctoring and selling coins.

Now, to be sure, I have no evidence that Mister Longacre is using chemicals to tone coins so that he can sell them for a huge profit.

But I also see no denial that Mister Longacre creates artifically toned coins and bases his business off of this.

The silence is deafening.

One would assume that Mister Longacre would step up to defend his reputation. Is something preventing him from doing so?

One would think that on a matter as important as this, Mister Longacre would deny his involvement with doctoring and selling coins for a profit.

I am amazed that there is no denial of these potentially damaging potential facts.

The non response speaks volumes.

I, for one, am appalled at the accusations that Mister Longacre colors coins and sells them.

But am further appalled and disappointed about his silence on the matter.

(It's the only appropriate? response I could muster for this thread.)
    (This is a pathetic regurgitation/conversion of the Gilbert Gottfried "Bob Saget" roast)
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Silence! Not good!
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a pathetic regurgitation/conversion of the Gilbert Gottfried "Bob Saget" roast)

I actually loved the Norm MacDonald portion of the Saget roast. It brought crickets at first until the crowd caught on. MacDonalds bit was pure genius and gutsy as h#ll since it was super slow to unfold............MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file