Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Have you thrown away baseball cards?

Along with my good collection, I have massive amounts of 80's and 90's garbage. I'm really thinking about just throwing them in the garbage. Any other ideas on what to do with them?

Comments

• Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    Will Goodwill accept modern junk in boxes? If so that'd be an option.
    I've often thought about saving my junk boxes for camping trips, campfires.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    If you have the time and need some money, sort them by team and sell them on ebay. I got pretty decent money for mine that way.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    trash them.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    If you have the time and need some money, sort them by team and sell them on ebay. I got pretty decent money for mine that way.

What sized lots did you find to work the best?

I have been giving mine to Goodwill for about 10 years. I imagine they throw them away. I just can't throw them away myself.
  • Options
    leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191

<< <i>If you have the time and need some money, sort them by team and sell them on ebay. I got pretty decent money for mine that way. >>

what do you mean by decent money? and how many cards per lot are you selling?
  • Options

<< <i>If you have the time and need some money, sort them by team and sell them on ebay. I got pretty decent money for mine that way.

I have been giving mine to Goodwill for about 10 years. I imagine they throw them away. I just can't throw them away myself. >>

Well, I just sorted all I had and ended up with around 600 to 800 cards of each team. I got anywhere from $5 to $12 for each team. I was happy with that.

This was about 5 years ago, so perhaps things are different now.
  • Options
    byronscott4everbyronscott4ever Posts: 932 ✭✭✭
    I've seen a white shoebox-holder full of early 90s stuff (some cards were laying out on top) in the glass case at a Goodwill for the weekly auction so they must have thought that they were valuable enough to sell in that manner. You could always sell box them up and sell them cheap at a garage sale or Craigs list if you don't donate them to a children's hospital.
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    We have a tag sale every year to rid our house of excess junk. I put all my junk I got through the year in a monster box and sell the whole thing for $5. I always buy those boxes as well when I am at tag sales. Half the fun is looking through them. I collect Yankees so I pull each yankee card out and add them to my Yankee team set collection. It is great, because I find a bunch of .05 cent cards that are hard to find because dealers don't bring them to shows anymore. The excess goes into the tag sale area for next year or i give them to kids when I hear they are getting into baseball.
    Once in a while I hit the daughterload (not the motherload mind you) with a box loaded with 80's rookies. (1982 Cal Ripken Jr, 84 Mattingly, 87 Bonds, 89 Griffey Jr...) Nothing i will retire on but still nice for cheap money and hours of fun sorting through the box.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Don't throw them away.....recycle them.
  • Options
    I have seen a few guys ask for cards to give away to their Little League. I think that is a great idea, someone just has to pick up the shipping expense.
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • Options

<< <i>If you have the time and need some money, sort them by team and sell them on ebay. I got pretty decent money for mine that way.

I have been giving mine to Goodwill for about 10 years. I imagine they throw them away. I just can't throw them away myself. >>

They don't. They get sent to whichever Goodwill in the region that has the strongest history of sales of sports cards/collectibles. I go 2-3 times a week to a handful of them and I find a lot of stuff I want by buying up 3200 and 5000 count boxes at $10-13 each.

Once I take the error cards, Robin Ventura, Fernando Valenzuela and Matt Luke cards out, I leave the stars (unless they are affected by a variation) and list huge lots of 30-70,000 cards on craigslist for $20-60 at a time. This gets rid of the stuff I don't want - usually to a coach of a little league team or something, and like recycling, I get a little change back on what I spent on the them. Plus it also works as a good way for me to collect a lot of base of the players that I collect. The lots almost always sell within 2-3 days and in the off chance that they don't, I donate them to Goodwill (obviously, I am very careful in what I buy from them). Circle of life, etc...
    My Error & Variation Blog

Collecting Robin Ventura and Matt Luke.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hold onto them - think long term...

If global warming really kicks in - NY will be under 20 foot of snow - and you might need those cards to keep your ass warm!

Mike
  • Options
    I set them out on the corner by my apartment someone keeps grabbing them sometimes very quickly, although I have never seen anyone in the act.
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just bought 4 1991 UD Final Edition sealed sets for $1 each. I am taking out the Pudge, Pedro and Thome RC's, a few stars, and chucking all the rest. I don't feel bad about it either.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options

<< <i>I set them out on the corner by my apartment someone keeps grabbing them sometimes very quickly, although I have never seen anyone in the act. >>

Animals, I'll bet. Somewhere near your apartment is a nest made of 1988 Donruss.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I set them out on the corner by my apartment someone keeps grabbing them sometimes very quickly, although I have never seen anyone in the act. >>

Animals, I'll bet. Somewhere near your apartment is a nest made of 1988 Donruss. >>

I just wet myself image

Ryan
    1938 Cartledge Boxing cards psa 7 - psa 10
    1951 Topps Red backs psa 8 only!
    1960 Golden Press Presidential set Psa 8 's - Psa 9's
    1961 Golden Press psa 9's
    1976 Topps baseball psa 9 Stars
    1980 Kelloggs baseball Psa 9's - Psa 10's
    1988-1989 Fleer Basketball psa 9's
    1988-1989 Fleer Stickers psa 9's
    1989-1990 Fleer Basketball psa 10's
    1992 Coca-Cola Donruss Nolan Ryan 1-26 Psa 10 only Gpa 9.80++ E-mail Newyork00007@aol.com
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    You actually get people to buy junk off craigslist? I thought all those ads were a joke but apparently the 5000 count hoard of 80s-90s cards for $500 really sells?

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    tigerdeantigerdean Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    I had several people send me some cards for my little league team. If you live in Iowa then I would pay the shipping to Missouri and I would have some more to hand out to my 5th and 6th grade boys. Thanks! Dean
  • Options
    1n 1956 i threw away several checklist cards as soon as i opened the packs.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Have any stacks of 1990 Topps baseball?
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    Yes..........1984 topps, about 1500 commons , i was tired of moving them. Hello dumpster meet Garth Iorg and Rob Wilfong.
  • Options

<< <i>You actually get people to buy junk off craigslist? I thought all those ads were a joke but apparently the 5000 count hoard of 80s-90s cards for $500 really sells? >>

Like I said in my post, I don't take out the stars, RCs, or anything I don't personally collect, just Ventura, Fernando, Matt Luke (never find any) and error cards. And I ask between $20-60 per 20-30,000 cards. Not $500 for a 5000 ct. box.
    My Error & Variation Blog

Collecting Robin Ventura and Matt Luke.
  • Options
    I just had a garage sale and got $5 a 3000 count box of late 80s and early 90s junk commons and also put on craigslist and had a guy waiting a 1/2 hour before the sale to scoop up about 15 boxes.Sold alot more to kids in the neighborhood and gave away the rest to me nephew so he can store them in his closet(my sister is thrilled about that).
  • Options
    Trashed a few of cards received from the Topps million dollar giveaway.
  • Options
    DLBackDLBack Posts: 34 ✭✭
    I teach kids at my church and have found that bringing a box of 80s or 90s cards in really makes the kids happy. None of them have ever heard of the players in those sets but they love finding cards from their favorite teams. I pull out the rookies of future hall of famers and give them to the ones that come up and tell me about how much they like players like Randy Johnson or Curt Schilling (as you can tell the most recent cards to come in were 1989).

Aside from something like that, you could always record odd ways of destroying cards and post it to Youtube (Did you know fireworks will fly all over your back yard if you tape them to baseball card "wings"?
  • Options
    PlanemonkeyPlanemonkey Posts: 543 ✭✭
    They should call the Topps promotion "The cards your still throwing out"