Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

pre meiji japanese produced coins - books, price guides, etc?

Hello from the US Forum,

I am looking for any guide books to lead me along in a new adventure of collecting older Japanese coins. As per the subject title...any leads and information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks folks! image

Comments

• Options
    The only current price guide for pre-Meiji material that I know of is the Japanese Numismatic Dealers Association Catalog, an annual publication that can be obtained from - among other sources - Scott Semans.

Other useful resources for those coins include Japanese Coinage by Jacobs & Vermuele, Coins of Japan by Munro, and, of course, the pre-20th Century volumes of the Krause/Mishler Standard Catalog of World Coins.

Some years ago I posted a more comprehensive bibliography across the street. (Scroll down slightly.)
    Roy

• Options
    deviousdevious Posts: 1,690
    Roy,

Thank you for the excellent information. This is great, I will be sure to check into all of these resources. I believe what I am getting into the start of something that will evolve into something greater. My son loves these coins and the more I look at dark side material, the more I'm in awe by the beauty of the designs from afar.

Aaron