Home Precious Metals
Options

Some oddball bars and rounds

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the norfed piece and wish I had some. But I absolutely refuse to own any of those buffalo bars or their generic maple leaf counterparts. I just don't trust them.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405

<< <i>I like the norfed piece and wish I had some. But I absolutely refuse to own any of those buffalo bars or their generic maple leaf counterparts. I just don't trust them. >>

+1
  • Options
    AboutAgAboutAg Posts: 201 ✭✭

<< <i>I like the norfed piece and wish I had some. But I absolutely refuse to own any of those buffalo bars or their generic maple leaf counterparts. I just don't trust them. >>

Yeah, those are a CMC Mint specialty. You gotta trust a mint in Hong Kong that sells through a paintball company in Canada and ships through a corporation in New Jersey in the U.S., that is about 1-3% short in the amount of silver included. And one that creates fake bars, too, with misspelled words ('mills' vs. 'mils') that are sometimes used as the correct word (".100 mills") and sometimes not ("100 mills").

I wonder whether their .9999 fine silver really is .9999 (a company taking every shortcut possible to make a quick buck isn't likely to really use .9999), .999 (which they could easily obtain), .970 (off as much as the weight), or .001 (they forgot to add '.100 mils' to the '.999 fine silver').

A coin dealer was planning to the XRF to test one of these, but never posted the results. I would *love* to see the results...