Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1979 OPC newp - any worth grading?

I picked up this 1979 OPC set recently. A few of the HOF inclding the ozzie (too bad) have a small surface wrinkle. Below are some of the better looking HOF cards. OPC experts anything worth grading?
Collecting Clemente master (#6) and basic PSA registry sets, Hank Aaron master and basic sets, Mantle oddball issues, 1970's mega decade HOFs, 1967 Topps pin ups, and high grade Topps Clemente and Aaron. Numerous transactions with over 100 board members.

Comments

• hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    I wonder why no one at OPC ever suggested sharpening the cutting blades
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder why no one at OPC ever suggested sharpening the cutting blades >>

Blades? They used a dull butter knife and airplane wire. Blades?
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love that rough cut! The Brett looks especially sharp! And yes, they did use airplane wire to cut these, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Eddie Murray is VERY HARD to find centered. Good luck with the set!
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • Point of fact: they never used blades, they used cheese wire.
    EDITED TO SAY: I recently found out they did in fact use two sets of blades (one for cross cuts, one for length cuts). Neither of witch they sharped during the print run.
    But get that Ozzie Smith GRADED... NOW!
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭

I wouldn't attempt to grade anything with newp on it.
  • cpettimdcpettimd Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    opinions on the ryan?
    Collecting Clemente master (#6) and basic PSA registry sets, Hank Aaron master and basic sets, Mantle oddball issues, 1970's mega decade HOFs, 1967 Topps pin ups, and high grade Topps Clemente and Aaron. Numerous transactions with over 100 board members.
  • olb31olb31 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They look really nice. The Ryan is probably a 9 because of the top left corner, but really close to a 10. The Schmidt could be a 9. All in all you have some nice cards definitely worth grading. I picked up a 1979 Pete Rose OPC a few months back that similar to the Ryan and I received a 9. The Brett is at least a 9 and maybe a 10.
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • love the rough cuts.
    far more appealing to me than boring razor edges.
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭

<< <i>opinions on the ryan? >>

In reality, the Ryan has no shot at a 10, and it will be lucky to get a 9. It has a slight tilt, a lot of extra fuzz on the left, and a small print mark in the yellow name banner. Probably an 8, or 8.5 at best.

Those all have very nice centering for 79's. All from the same set?

Is that Yount's real hair or is that a perm?

Edited for spelllling.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15