Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Another VDB coming up for the Long Beach auction

Here ya go.

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

Same coin that just sold in the January 2010 Fun Auction.
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    Anyone - what did you think of it when it came up last time?
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Estimates? 44k.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there was considerable debate about the coin matching the grade last time. A lot of folks were not thrill with its overall appearance and whether or not it was better looking than the pictures. I tried to see it at FUN but was too late and it had already been sold.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about all those PR67 Mattes from across the street?
  • Options

<< <i>I think there was considerable debate about the coin matching the grade last time. A lot of folks were not thrill with its overall appearance and whether or not it was better looking than the pictures. I tried to see it at FUN but was too late and it had already been sold.

WS >>

Mainly why my estimate is only 44k.

<< <i>How about all those PR67 Mattes from across the street? >>

Quite a few of them I noticed. Still waiting for the pictures to be populated on most of them.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Estimates? 44k. >>

Less.

IMO, the coin is "tarnished" having come up for auction after only a few months. There is also 1 less buyer.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    IMHO there are too MANY VDB MPL's showing up at auction at this time. The value of this coin gets diminished when we see it show up more than two or three times a year. Steveimage
  • Options

<< <i>IMHO there are too MANY VDB MPL's showing up at auction at this time. The value of this coin gets diminished when we see it show up more than two or three times a year. Steveimage >>

I disagree. That so many "LQ" examples are showing up only serves to bolster the values of "PQ" pieces, which almost never trade publicly anyway. BTW, I don't think that there's anything particularly wrong with this current specimen. That is, other than the fact that it appears to be an RB coin in an RD holder. I like it fine (appearance-wise) as an RB coin, and would buy it as such if my funds were a little more forthcoming. The fact that it comes back to auction so quickly probably shows that the buyer wasn't too happy with some aspect of the coin/holder combination, but again, I hypothesize.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Matt,
    If MOST of the VDB MPL's coming to auction now are LQ and all the PQ material is being dealt thru private treaty, then how will the pricing guides like PCGS be able to accurately price and value the PQ material?
    Steveimage
  • Options
    Steve,
    Great question and I don't think anyone has the answer to that. I do feel it is unfortunate if this coin sells for less and then PCGS changes its Price Guide accordingly. It's like the same dog has come back to bite you again.
    Jonathan
  • Options

<< <i>Matt,
    If MOST of the VDB MPL's coming to auction now are LQ and all the PQ material is being dealt thru private treaty, then how will the pricing guides like PCGS be able to accurately price and value the PQ material?
    Steveimage >>

That question is the answer. Collectors of the high-end have always operated outside of the box.
  • Options
    the PR67 pictures are up... image