Home Sports Talk
Options

Robbie Cano . . . Don'tcha Know!

otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
Now that Melky's gone, this kid can focus on playing the game. Considering he usually struggles early and tears it up in the second half, what's in store for him this year?

Currently .407, 8 HR, 17 RBI. So much for the pressure of hitting in the 5-hole!

Comments

• Options
    Oh, and I believe 5 of the 8 HR's are off of lefties and they've played almost all of their games on the road so far.

Watch out!!!

My projections: .338, 33 HR, 113 RBI.

And he should win his first Gold Glove this year, too.

For you Philly fans, Chase who? image
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    "Chase who"

ha ha good one

Sincerely,
    169 games
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Chase who"

ha ha good one

Sincerely,
    169 games

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And he should win his first Gold Glove this year, too.
    >>

Thanks, I needed a good laugh. imageimageimage
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gold glove awards are the result of a popularity contest, mostly, so I wouldn't be surprised
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Cano can hit and has been overshadowed by Jeter for a while now.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>And he should win his first Gold Glove this year, too.
    >>

Thanks, I needed a good laugh. imageimageimage >>

have you seen him play? Have you seen anyone in the majors right now that can turn a double play better than Cano? When Yankee hater Joe Morgan even comments about how Cano is one of the best he's seen at turning the double play and that he's amazed by his range, that's gotta count for something. It may be the only time I've agreed with that blowhard.
  • Options
    Joe Morgan is very stuck up. Maybe it's something with the old Reds' guys. I've heard Bench is just awful most of the time. Also, Seaver can have zero personality. Pete Rose......I think I'm on to something here. Alot of jerks.

Mickey71
  • Options

<< <i>have you seen him play? Have you seen anyone in the majors right now that can turn a double play better than Cano? When Yankee hater Joe Morgan even comments about how Cano is one of the best he's seen at turning the double play and that he's amazed by his range, that's gotta count for something. It may be the only time I've agreed with that blowhard. >>

Yes, he has made some good plays recently. Julio Lugo made some good plays a few times as well. However, over the course of the season, Cano's lead glove will emerge, but he has improved. His stellar offense more than makes up for it.
  • Options

<< <i>Joe Morgan is very stuck up. Maybe it's something with the old Reds' guys. I've heard Bench is just awful most of the time. Also, Seaver can have zero personality. Pete Rose......I think I'm on to something here. Alot of jerks.

Mickey71 >>

Morgan a Yankee hater? Well he must hate the Red Sox more -- during Sox/Yankees games Morgan and Miller seem to be more pro-Yankee than Kay and Singleton!
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<Now that Melky's gone, this kid can focus on playing the game. >>>

Care to elaborate what this phrase means? Was Melky sticking Cano's head in a toilet bowl every day or something?
  • Options

<< <i><<<Now that Melky's gone, this kid can focus on playing the game. >>>

Care to elaborate what this phrase means? Was Melky sticking Cano's head in a toilet bowl every day or something? >>

No, but Melky and Cano were like Siamese Twins. They went everywhere and did everything together and spent more than one night getting in late and doing things that young bachelors do.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>have you seen him play? Have you seen anyone in the majors right now that can turn a double play better than Cano? When Yankee hater Joe Morgan even comments about how Cano is one of the best he's seen at turning the double play and that he's amazed by his range, that's gotta count for something. It may be the only time I've agreed with that blowhard. >>

Yes, he has made some good plays recently. Julio Lugo made some good plays a few times as well. However, over the course of the season, Cano's lead glove will emerge, but he has improved. His stellar offense more than makes up for it. >>

A lead glove? Sorry, but you've never seen him play regularly if that's your assessment of his defensive game. You sound like a Red Sox fan with that sort of uninformed analysis and/or negative bias. The kid has great range, a shortstop's arm and glides to the ball. The fact that he's not always diving or sprawling to make plays doesn't mean he isn't making them. Most people watch him and think he's lazy because of how effortlessly he makes the plays, especially with his little sidearm flips. But when you watch him day in and day out, you notice just how much better he is than most of the others in the league.
  • Options

<< <i>Oh, and I believe 5 of the 8 HR's are off of lefties and they've played almost all of their games on the road so far.

Watch out!!!

My projections: .338, 33 HR, 113 RBI.

And he should win his first Gold Glove this year, too.

For you Philly fans, Chase who? image >>

Chase who? Sorry, but looks like my projections may end up being a little understated . . . image
  • Options
    So let me get this straight...you're going to say that Cano has surpassed Utley as a premier 2B based on the stats of 1/3 of a regular season? image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yes, he has made some good plays recently. Julio Lugo made some good plays a few times as well. However, over the course of the season, Cano's lead glove will emerge, but he has improved. His stellar offense more than makes up for it. >>

A lead glove? Sorry, but you've never seen him play regularly if that's your assessment of his defensive game. You sound like a Red Sox fan with that sort of uninformed analysis and/or negative bias. The kid has great range, a shortstop's arm and glides to the ball. The fact that he's not always diving or sprawling to make plays doesn't mean he isn't making them. Most people watch him and think he's lazy because of how effortlessly he makes the plays, especially with his little sidearm flips. But when you watch him day in and day out, you notice just how much better he is than most of the others in the league. >>

Scott- If you watch Cano "day in and day out" how do you know he's better than any other 2B in the game? You don't. The truth is that its impossible not to be biased toward your team's guy. Like if you held a gun to my head and asked me if I'd rather have Cano or Martin Prado as my 2B for the next 5 years, I'd take Prado without hesitation. When you're comparing Cano to Utley, I don't know how you make the argument that Cano is a better 2b? Everyone has hot streaks like the one Cano is on right now, but Utley's career over the time span that Cano has played...well, it speaks for itself. I don't think you'll find too many people outside of the Bronx that share your opinion.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options

<< <i>Scott- If you watch Cano "day in and day out" how do you know he's better than any other 2B in the game? You don't. The truth is that its impossible not to be biased toward your team's guy. Like if you held a gun to my head and asked me if I'd rather have Cano or Martin Prado as my 2B for the next 5 years, I'd take Prado without hesitation. When you're comparing Cano to Utley, I don't know how you make the argument that Cano is a better 2b? Everyone has hot streaks like the one Cano is on right now, but Utley's career over the time span that Cano has played...well, it speaks for itself. I don't think you'll find too many people outside of the Bronx that share your opinion. >>

Oh boy . . . Does ANYONE understand sarcasm and tongue-in-cheek digs? Please, before you jump to conclusions and make ill advised assumptions, please tell me where I said Cano was the best 2nd baseman in the game.

Cano is a fantastic hitter and one of the top 2nd basemen in baseball and this season is not a fluke or a "hot streak." Last season, after a horrible early stretch, Cano hit .320 with 25 HR's and 85 RBI batting in the 7th spot in the line-up. This season, he's been moved to the 5th spot and it would be expected to see his power numbers increase, as they have. Anyone that wants to argue that point is an absolute idiot. He's a lifetime .310+ hitter and his fielding is top notch.

Obviously, you didn't catch the drift of the Utley dig earlier in the post. Thus, it is safe to assume that you didn't catch the meaning behind it in my recent post. NOWHERE did I say Cano was better than Utley. Cano happens to be 4 years younger than Utley and the only two areas that Cano has proven to be better than Utley is in fielding and batting average.

Hopefully, you're not serious when comparing Prado to Cano or suggesting that Prado will be better than Cano over the next 5 seasons. Hopefully, whoever is holding the gun to your head hasn't loaded it . . .

An objective observation, without hometown bias, proves that Cano is far better than you're giving him credit for. We're not talking a single season aberration like Aaron Hill had last season... We're talking about a 2nd baseman who has averaged nearly 20 HR's, 80 RBI and a .310 average over the past 5+ seasons and is still only 27 years old.
  • Options
    As a Sox fan, I see Cano quite a bit. The only thing that surprises me with Cano is that this kind of production didn't come sooner. The guy can flat out rake. I watch a ROY and MVP 2B play everyday, and although he brings a lot things to the table, I would trade Pedroia for Cano in a heartbeat.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Scott- If you watch Cano "day in and day out" how do you know he's better than any other 2B in the game? You don't. The truth is that its impossible not to be biased toward your team's guy. Like if you held a gun to my head and asked me if I'd rather have Cano or Martin Prado as my 2B for the next 5 years, I'd take Prado without hesitation. When you're comparing Cano to Utley, I don't know how you make the argument that Cano is a better 2b? Everyone has hot streaks like the one Cano is on right now, but Utley's career over the time span that Cano has played...well, it speaks for itself. I don't think you'll find too many people outside of the Bronx that share your opinion. >>

Oh boy . . . Does ANYONE understand sarcasm and tongue-in-cheek digs? Please, before you jump to conclusions and make ill advised assumptions, please tell me where I said Cano was the best 2nd baseman in the game.

Cano is a fantastic hitter and one of the top 2nd basemen in baseball and this season is not a fluke or a "hot streak." Last season, after a horrible early stretch, Cano hit .320 with 25 HR's and 85 RBI batting in the 7th spot in the line-up. This season, he's been moved to the 5th spot and it would be expected to see his power numbers increase, as they have. Anyone that wants to argue that point is an absolute idiot. He's a lifetime .310+ hitter and his fielding is top notch.

Obviously, you didn't catch the drift of the Utley dig earlier in the post. Thus, it is safe to assume that you didn't catch the meaning behind it in my recent post. NOWHERE did I say Cano was better than Utley. Cano happens to be 4 years younger than Utley and the only two areas that Cano has proven to be better than Utley is in fielding and batting average.

Hopefully, you're not serious when comparing Prado to Cano or suggesting that Prado will be better than Cano over the next 5 seasons. Hopefully, whoever is holding the gun to your head hasn't loaded it . . .

An objective observation, without hometown bias, proves that Cano is far better than you're giving him credit for. We're not talking a single season aberration like Aaron Hill had last season... We're talking about a 2nd baseman who has averaged nearly 20 HR's, 80 RBI and a .310 average over the past 5+ seasons and is still only 27 years old. >>

Calm down over there. You're the one who first introduced the Cano - Utley comparison whether it was tongue in cheek or not. Odd that you're surprised people commented on your comparison. Cano has done a great job hitting for average over his career. Its yet to be determined if he can hit for power, although he's off to a good start (this season)
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options

<< <i>Calm down over there. You're the one who first introduced the Cano - Utley comparison whether it was tongue in cheek or not. Odd that you're surprised people commented on your comparison. Cano has done a great job hitting for average over his career. Its yet to be determined if he can hit for power, although he's off to a good start (this season) >>

Calm down? I'm quite calm.

I NEVER compared Utley to Cano. Again, I think you need to work on your comprehension. The comment was, and it is blatantly tongue-in-cheek, "For you Philly fans, Chase who?" followed by a winky emoticon signifying the humor.

So Cano's 25 HR's last season and nearly 20 per season before the age of 27 leaves you questions with regard to whether he can hit for power?

I supposed jdip9 must be from the Bronx, too as he suggested he'd take Cano over Pedroia, a former AL MVP.

I get so annoyed when people DON'T read, jump to conclusions, and run off at the mouth with their own assumptions that are made from inaccurately paraphrasing others' posts. It happens in the Pujols threads, it happens in the Phillies threads and it happens when people let their fandom interfere with the facts.

You're more than welcome to Prado. He's a nice player in the mold of Casey McGehee. But at best, I see him being a Placido Polanco type player. And there's nothing wrong with that. I'll take my chances with Cano.

To the original point of my thread, I seriously think the absence of Melky Cabrera has had a positive impact on Cano and has allowed him to focus on the game rather than running around the city all night. There's no need to go into detail, but Melky and he were known to close more than a few after hours clubs.
  • Options
    Scott,

FWIW, you can't state "Chase who" twice in the same thread and then claim that you never meant to compare Cano to Utley...I understand you meant that reference "tongue in cheek," but when you throw it out there like that, and both guys are premier 2B, people are bound to infer that you are making some kind of comparison there. To state otherwise is not really being honest with yourself..

• Options

<< <i>Scott,

FWIW, you can't state "Chase who" twice in the same thread and then claim that you never meant to compare Cano to Utley...I understand you meant that reference "tongue in cheek," but when you throw it out there like that, and both guys are premier 2B, people are bound to infer that you are making some kind of comparison there. To state otherwise is not really being honest with yourself.. >>

Agreed, to an extent. But then again, you've got Luis Castillo . . . But you did have Edgardo Alfonzo (amazing for awhile in his own right).

However, while I still think Utley is the better overall offensive player, I'm certainly not upset with having Cano as the Yankees second baseman.
  • Options
    Agreed, to an extent. But then again, you've got Luis Castillo . . . But you did have Edgardo Alfonzo (amazing for awhile in his own right).

Talk about a career that went downhill seemingly overnight...Alfonzo went from being one of the most productive 2B at the plate to a guy that couldn't hang on with the LI Ducks..

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Calm down over there. You're the one who first introduced the Cano - Utley comparison whether it was tongue in cheek or not. Odd that you're surprised people commented on your comparison. Cano has done a great job hitting for average over his career. Its yet to be determined if he can hit for power, although he's off to a good start (this season) >>

Calm down? I'm quite calm.

I NEVER compared Utley to Cano. Again, I think you need to work on your comprehension. The comment was, and it is blatantly tongue-in-cheek, "For you Philly fans, Chase who?" followed by a winky emoticon signifying the humor.

So Cano's 25 HR's last season and nearly 20 per season before the age of 27 leaves you questions with regard to whether he can hit for power?

I supposed jdip9 must be from the Bronx, too as he suggested he'd take Cano over Pedroia, a former AL MVP.

I get so annoyed when people DON'T read, jump to conclusions, and run off at the mouth with their own assumptions that are made from inaccurately paraphrasing others' posts. It happens in the Pujols threads, it happens in the Phillies threads and it happens when people let their fandom interfere with the facts.

You're more than welcome to Prado. He's a nice player in the mold of Casey McGehee. But at best, I see him being a Placido Polanco type player. And there's nothing wrong with that. I'll take my chances with Cano.

To the original point of my thread, I seriously think the absence of Melky Cabrera has had a positive impact on Cano and has allowed him to focus on the game rather than running around the city all night. There's no need to go into detail, but Melky and he were known to close more than a few after hours clubs. >>

Scott- I'm just going to avoid commenting on your threads in the future. Since you obviously have short-term memory problems, please go back and read your first few posts where you clearly introduce the Cano - Utley comparison. Not sure why you can't admit this and why you keep trying to put bizarre spins on your intent, perhaps you are embarrased about mentioning the 2 together after its had some time to sink in? Its not a big deal, just move on.

• Options
    I meant to state that no one would be arguing against Cano being the better player.

Your avatar is all we need to know in reference to the above statement..

Edit: Then again, you also think Bobby Abreu is a HOFer..

• Options

<< <i>Scott- I'm just going to avoid commenting on your threads in the future. Since you obviously have short-term memory problems, please go back and read your first few posts where you clearly introduce the Cano - Utley comparison. Not sure why you can't admit this and why you keep trying to put bizarre spins on your intent, perhaps you are embarrased about mentioning the 2 together after its had some time to sink in? Its not a big deal, just move on. >>

Embarrassed? Wrong? Sorry, Sport, but I'll admit it when I'm wrong. There was NO COMPARISON. If you wish to make the fact that I tongue-in-cheeked the "Utley who?" with the winking smiley to demonstrate the dig into a "comparison" or that I was suggesting that Cano was better, then go right ahead. Go ahead and ignore the fact that I also stated that the only areas that Cano is better than Utley are batting average and fielding. Sarcasm and humor seem to be missed by most on here anyway...

Feel free to avoid commenting on my posts. I won't lose any sleep over your abstention. It's kinda like when the neighbor's little boy doesn't see me at the mailbox and I don't have to listen to or talk to him. It's a much brighter day!
  • Options
    I’m not looking at this from a perspective of who the better player might be today or this season, nor who’s had the better career if both ended their’s today.

Ok, in that case, I suppose it is possible that Cano will surpass Utley as the better 2B in the years ahead, but that is sheer speculation at this point, and right now, Utley has the decided edge when you compare their careers, Cano's remarkable 2010 campaign so far notwithstanding..

• Options
    As far as comparisons go between Utley and Cano, let's compare the last three full seasons for both players:

OBP%

Cano: .353, .305, .352
    Utley: .410, .380, .397

SLG%

Cano: .488, .410, .520
    Utley: .566, .535, .508

OPS%

Cano: .841, .715, .871
    Utley: .976, .915, .905

OPS+

Cano: 119, 86, 129
    Utley: 146, 135, 136

And if you throw in power numbers:

HRs

Cano: 19, 14, 28
    Utley: 22, 33, 31

it appears that Cano has Melky to blame for digging himself so deep a hole..image

• Options

<< <i>As far as comparisons go between Utley and Cano, let's compare the last three full seasons for both players:

OBP%

Cano: .353, .305, .352
    Utley: .410, .380, .397

SLG%

Cano: .488, .410, .520
    Utley: .566, .535, .508

OPS%

Cano: .841, .715, .871
    Utley: .976, .915, .905

OPS+

Cano: 119, 86, 129
    Utley: 146, 135, 136

And if you throw in power numbers:

HRs

Cano: 19, 14, 28
    Utley: 22, 33, 31

it appears that Cano has Melky to blame for digging himself so deep a hole..image >>

Why are we comparing Cano to Utley? image

What were their numbers when they were both 23-26? Ah-ha . . .
  • Options
    That's all fine and dandy for people who want to live in the past. If you started that from the beginning of last year till now (which would be the most recent data to compare), Cano would have a slight edge. Being 27 and healthy, there is no reason to believe that Cano's numbers wouldn't continue to be very good for the next several years.

We have no way to know what Cano and Utley will do over the next several seasons...you talk like Utley is 38 years old and that Cano will turn out to be Joe Moragn...in fact, Cano may never surpass Utley as a better, more productive 2B...time will tell, of course, and nothing is guaranteed...but one thing we can definitely say for sure is that as of right now Utley is by far the better player to this point in time. It's not "living in the past," to state that obvious fact...it's more like accepting the reality of the present and not basing an argument on a "what if" supposition, that's based in large part on a two-month sample of the 2010 regular season....

• Options
    We will see what the future holds...as of right now Cano has quite a bit of ground to make up to surpass Utley as a better 2B, but anything is possible...there are also many examples of players with lots of promise and potential who never realized that ceilling...I remember in the very early '80s when many people thought Gary Templeton would have a better career than Ozzie Smith. And the way athletes train and keep themselves in condition today, there's no reason to believe that Utley won't have several more very productive seasons, just like Jeff Kent did well into his 30s..

• Options
    Also, stating which player a GM would take is not really relevant to who the better player is over the course of his career, as obviously the player with more experience is costing a lot more money, and just because you'd trade a promising younger player for a better older one doesn't at all mean that the younger player will go on to have the better career when all is said and done..

• Options
    How is there "no reason to believe" that Utley's numbers may be on the decline in a year or two when other players from this recent era like Alomar and Biggio who were entrenched in the training and conditioning environment didn't have very productive seasons well into their 30s?

Alomar is a HOFer (should have been first ballot) and Biggio will be a HOFer, too, so I don't think Utley would mind those comparisons at the end of the day. However, I'd say that Jeff Kent would take exception to the notion that a 2B is on the decline at Utley's age (and I'd say that Kent is more comparable to Utley than either Biggio or Alomar)..

• Options
    Which is precisely my whole point here. That if I have to bet my money today on which of the two has a better chance at making Cooperstown, my money is clearly on Cano.

Well, in that case, I fully expect to see from you a thread entitled "Robinson Cano - Hall of Famer???" before long...image

• Options
    One thing this discussion has also brought to my attention is how few 2B are even in the Hall right now...of course we will probably be seeing a couple more over the next few years (Alomar, Biggio, Kent), but right now there are only 3 2B who started their career after 1960 (Carew, Morgan and Sandberg)..

• Options
    Omar Vizquel comes to mind immediately as a SS that will be in the HOF along with Jeter. Hanley Ramirez (if he continues and doesn't go Nomar on us) and ARod (although he's split between 3B), too.
  • Options
    < One thing this discussion has also brought to my attention is how few 2B are even in the Hall right now...of course we will probably be seeing a couple more over the next few years (Alomar, Biggio, Kent), but right now there are only 3 2B who started their career after 1960 (Carew, Morgan and Sandberg).. >>

True. I can't think but are there any SSs other than Ripken and Smith in that timeframe?

Though he spent the second half of his career in the OF, you might add Robin Yount to that list..

• Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Boy you Yanks fans are going to be pissed when the Twins sign him to a big free agency deal!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Scott

You may NOT have been comparing the two, BUT at the same time a person could have thought you were.

Winky emoticon notwithstanding.

Both Cano and Utley are premier 2nd basemen in the majors today.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Scott

You may NOT have been comparing the two, BUT at the same time a person could have thought you were.

Winky emoticon notwithstanding.

Both Cano and Utley are premier 2nd basemen in the majors today.

Steve >>

Steve:

It was a poke at the Phillies guys on here. Just like when a certain someone "winked" Daniel Murphy to Ryan Howard during the off season.
  • Options
    .325 Avg, 28 HR, 98 Runs, 102 RBI with 2 weeks to go (and the Gold Glove a virtual guarantee). With Hamilton being out for an extended period and Cabrera and Konerko's teams in the dumps, there's an outside shot Cano could garner some significant votes for the AL MVP as he's in the top 10 in all of the Triple Crown categories.
  • Options
    Crap....I'm agreeing with Scott twice in one month. He should garner quite a few votes. When the main guy (Hamilton) has missed quite a few games-- that hurts his chances considerably. He will not win; but I'm going to give the MVP to Guerrero. Here is my reasoning: He absolutely hobbled at the end of last season and was not considered a big pick up around baseball. He was on fire for the first half of the season and helped the Rangers run away with the division. When he cooled down a bit the division was already over. He is ending the season hitting real well. Like I said...he will not win; but really put the Rangers over the top.

The voting will be real close.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Cano is ranked in the top 10 of all major offensive categories that ESPN has listed. Most importantly, he is ranked 6th in OPS. I wonder what his rank would be in OPS+.

He should get some votes for the MVP. I have not sat down to do my homework to see who else is deserving, but there is no denying that Cano had a monster year for the Yankees when they really needed that from him.

A lot of his accumulative stats are good because he has been injury free. Getting 200 hits consecutive years really needs an iron man type body. His walks have gone up, which is good and its evidence that he is improving at the plate.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    Hopefully some of the doubters will get to see how good Cano really is and hopefully he'll get the opportunity to face off against Utley if they can get past the Rangers. If not for a stellar play by Andrus, he'd have gone 4-4 against some tough lefties.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    At first blush Cano seems like as strong a candidate as any for the MVP. Assuming 'valuable' means the player who has, you know, added the most marginal value to their team, and not 'the best player in the league', then the AL race should be wide open. If a team squeaked into the playoffs then common sense dictates that it should go to the best player on that team, but this year that wasn't the case.

• Options
    the most valuable player on the yankees was Arod, not Cano. Overcame early injuries and carried the team late.
  • Options

<< <i>the most valuable player on the yankees was Arod, not Cano. Overcame early injuries and carried the team late. >>

Really? Who carried them while ARod and Teixeira slumped? Who carried them while ARod was on the DL? I saw many teams walking Teixeira to pitch to ARod, but no one walking ARod to pitch to Cano . . .
  • Options
    Cano had a great season, but did have a monster first half, and a very good 2nd half.

Arod missed what? 25 games? He was a monster in Sept. and did do the heavy lifting the last month of the team.

Overall they both contributed greatly to the Yankee's success.

Cano my have had his career year, he may very well win the MVP, but I think its going to Josh Hamilton
  • Options
    Cano . . . Again! Now the discussion changes from one of the best 2B to one of the best players in the league...

Chase who? image
  • Options
    Cano is a beast. Easily one of the top 3 players in the game.