Home U.S. Coin Forum

1971-S Proof Ike fading Peg Leg??? help please

Comments

• sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    it sure looks like it

I have seen estimates of 10-15% for the 71 proofs

and the 71-S 40% silver clad (blue envelope) peg legs are the rare ones
  • coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>and the 71-S 40% silver clad (blue envelope) peg legs are the rare ones >>

ARGHhhh, I thought I hit a small lotteryimage
  • Doesn't look to be faded enough, but that's jus my opinion; here's the link to the Ikegroups take on em:
    http://ikegroup.org/CHEATSHEET.htm
    John G Bradley II
  • bronze6827bronze6827 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭
    Funny this topic comes up...
    ...never mind, it's a long story/debate - but a good one none the less. Another story, another day.

Anyway, you Ike is indeed a peg leg, but not the fading variety. The left leg (your left) of the R will clearly fade into the field. As you can see, yours is darn close, but does have a clear cut line where device meets field. The effect you see on the right leg is more like what you'd be looking for on the left to qualify.
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice DDO as well...
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Some facts that may be of interest.

The 71-S proof peg leg Ike was first struck and shipped in quantity in December 1971, 1,219,990 of them, based on strong circumstanstantial evidence. As far as we can tell, all of these carried the Design Peg Leg.

The Serif-R 71-S Ike was struck and mostly shipped in March 1972, 2,806,244 of them (with an additional 236,820 Ike proofs minted in June '72, I guess Serif-R but no data on these).

So roughly 28% (if my math tonight is on) of 71-S Ike proofs are peg legs.

Of these, 5% can be found in un-polished original design state with a "Straight (Wiles' "Full") Peg Leg: the peg let is flat but well circumscribed with a flat bottom and a gentle flair at the base.

Another 5% can be found in extreme states of peg leg fade with even the bottom half of the left leg simply gone.

Your peg leg is roughly in the middle of the spectrum of fade. If you like, go to "IKE PEG LEGS IN 12 QUESTIONS" , about 2/3 through the article to question 8. There you will see a wondrous montage of the spectrum of fade in the 71-S proof peg leg.

I suspect in time the extreme examples mentioned above will have premium valuation reflecting their estimated mintage of well under 100,000.

Rob
    Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE
  • coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Some facts that may be of interest.

The 71-S proof peg leg Ike was first struck and shipped in quantity in December 1971, 1,219,990 of them, based on strong circumstanstantial evidence. As far as we can tell, all of these carried the Design Peg Leg.

The Serif-R 71-S Ike was struck and mostly shipped in March 1972, 2,806,244 of them (with an additional 236,820 Ike proofs minted in June '72, I guess Serif-R but no data on these).

So roughly 28% (if my math tonight is on) of 71-S Ike proofs are peg legs.

Of these, 5% can be found in un-polished original design state with a "Straight (Wiles' "Full") Peg Leg: the peg let is flat but well circumscribed with a flat bottom and a gentle flair at the base.

Another 5% can be found in extreme states of peg leg fade with even the bottom half of the left leg simply gone.

Your peg leg is roughly in the middle of the spectrum of fade. If you like, go to "IKE PEG LEGS IN 12 QUESTIONS" , about 2/3 through the article to question 8. There you will see a wondrous montage of the spectrum of fade in the 71-S proof peg leg.

I suspect in time the extreme examples mentioned above will have premium valuation reflecting their estimated mintage of well under 100,000.

Rob >>

Thanks, that's what I was comparing mine to. I wasn't sure if it was in the middle or closer to the
    full varietyimage

• What percentage of 71-S proofs are the "partial peg leg" with the low relief GOD?
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • This morning the link is not working so let's try it again, after this word from your sponsors.

The Ike Group is currently wrstling with how to define die-abrasion peg legs and the linked article is now about 3 years old and in need of additional editing.

I linked it for the montage photo in Question 8. The rest of the piece should be treated as a historical document that will be revised in our forthcoming book.

LINK to article, go to question 8.

Rob
    Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

• Bushmaster8, the "Partial Peg Leg" Ike was struck with partially hubbed dies, maybe two instead of five hubbings. They are scarce enough to suggest a total mintage well under 100,000 and probably more on the order of 10,000 to 20,000.

By the way, Wexler's photo on page 183 of his book shows a likely true PPL based on the lopsided second T of Trust and the skinny G of GOD but I'm going to propose that the key feature defining the PPL is being able to see die-field polish lines through the weakness in the O of GOD (at roughly 7:30).

I've looked hard for these at every opportunity as have several members of the Ike Group and on average we have found maybe half or less than we've found 71-S SB SPL's.

We've found a greater number of 71-S SP "Almost" PPL's, suggesting maybe these dies received 3 or 4 of their usual 5 hubbings, educated guesswork on our part image .

We've also found a very rare PPL and more commonly "Almost" PPL's in 72, 73 and 74.

It seems that the Mint may have had a difficult time accurately tracking the number of hubbings each individual die received, no wonder since each hubbing was followed by annealing treatments (likely out-sourced) that would each have taken a week or two, and along the way vacations and illness and retirements would have put new people into critical die shop roles at various times. Rob

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file