Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

On the easel...

Hey all,

I hope nobody minds, but I figured that I would start a thread for whatever's going on in my studio. Well, anything that I think is worthy of posting, that is. It's been a pretty long time since I've contributed anything on here (probably before the National last summer), so I thought I'd peak my head out and show my wares.

So, I figure that if everyone's cool with it, I can show some finished pieces here, as it's taking a while for me to get my website fully updated these days. Additionally, I can show some in-progress shots of other things if anyone wants to see them, be they commissions or for my own inventory. Just know that the quality of the photos I take myself aren't even close to that of the ones I have done professionally!

If you'd like to see more of my work, you can always check out my website: http://www.graigkreindler.com

And, if you're on Facebook, become a fan (that is, if you really are a fan)!!: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Graig-Kreindler/78640599933

Oh, and as always, critiques, comments and lewd gestures are always appreciated.

Thanks for reading!!

Graig

Babe Ruth, 1927, 9"x12"

Joe DiMaggio, 1933, 9"x12"

Lou Gehrig, 1936, 11"x14"

Babe Ruth, 1921, 26"x34"

Christy Mathewson, 1911, 26"x36"

Grover Cleveland Alexander, 1928, 9"x12"

Bill Mazeroski, 1960, 38"x60"

Joe Jackson, 1913, 34"x42"

Honus Wagner, 1909, 34"x68"

Honus Wagner T-206, 5.5"x10"
www.graigkreindler.com
www.twitter.com/graigkreindler
www.facebook.com/graigkreindler

Comments

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    It's great to see your work again, thank you for sharing. Wish they made paint by number sets that looked so nice...that would be the only way I'd come close.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    WOW!!
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Those are absolutely incredible!!

I wish I had some talent
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, those are great...image

I love the Mathewson the best...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, those are great...image

I love the Mathewson the best...Donato >>

me too, it looks so 3 dimensional, it's amazing
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

Fabulous !

Do you ever use any type of projector to get
    you started on the right track?

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    Simply amazing work!
    Do you ever step into Vintage Football art?

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options
    Wow! Thanks for all of the wonderful comments, guys. I sincerely appreciate them!! And BunchOBull, I'm honored that you remembered me!

Storm888 - Though I don't use projectors in the work, on the larger ones I usually do grid them out a bit. I should actually start using one - lord knows it would save some time!!

bsidegrve - I haven't really ventured into the world of football art yet, but they're definitely plenty of images I'd like to tackle. Much to my father's chagrin, I'm sure I'll do some paintings of the famous '58 Championship game, especially Ameche's drive. I have, however, just finished my first golf painting. It depicts Bobby Jones at the Old Course at St. Andrews during the British Open of 1927. The painting will be shown at Pebble Beach next month if I'm not mistaken. With that in mind, I'm in no way adverse to doing any other sports, as there's always stuff out there that inspires me, but baseball is definitely the one that tugs on the ol' heart strings the most!!
    www.graigkreindler.com
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Wow, great stuff
    I love the one of Ruth choosing his weapon
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with everyone here.

The texture on the Ruth portrait and three-dimensionality of the Matty are simply incredible!

Steve
  • Options
    You are quite talented! Thanks for sharing
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • Options
    Incredible.
    1930's-1950's Cleveland Indians Collector.
  • Options
    Wonderful...hard to choose a favorite. I like the dark moody colors on the Gehrig, the great attention to detail on Matty's uniform, the weary look as Babe gazes out from under his cap...

But the one of Ruth selecting his weapon would get the nod. Love the way the bats seem three dimensional, and shading & coloring on his uniform and skin are outstanding. Love the way the shadows conform to the folds of his uniform as he bends down. I also like the sharp contrast of his bright white uniform against the darkness of the dugout.

You are very talented, thanks so much for sharing!!
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    Awesome paintings. I'd be proud to display any of them on my wall!
  • Options
    ddfamfddfamf Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Mazeroski and Wagner action prints are fabulous!

You selling anything?....just curious

D
  • Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    I sure hope you don't need a day job with that kind of talent, those are awesome, they remind me of the Thomas Arvid wine collection paintings that sell for pretty pennies.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff!!

Props to you,

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    Thanks again for the compliments everyone - I'm really glad you guys dig the artwork! And the fact that the Matty seems to resonate so much has to be attributed to the photographer. He got everything right in his negative, so I feel like he did all the work!

MantleMarisFordBerra - It's awesome that you like that Ruth so much. Trying to recreate that fabric undulating in space was certainly a challenge, and I'm glad that even though it's not super sunny, there is still that stark contrast with the bright jersey and the shadows of the dugout. In person, a lot of that stuff reads better, as the glow is tough to capture in reproductions.

ddfamf - Thanks so much for the kind words. Currently, half of those paintings are already sold, with the DiMaggio portrait, Babe with bats, Wagner action shot and the Joe Jackson still available. The stuff on my website is all gone, and in regards to commissions, I think I'm about 2.5 years out right now. I just pray it continues.

1960toppsguy - Thankfully, the painting is my day job (as well as night). Though it's definitely not easy and takes a super amount of discipline (and a sh*t ton of luck), I can't think of anything else I would rather be doing. Then again, I can't really think of anything else I CAN do!
    www.graigkreindler.com
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff!

My personal favorites are the Christy Mathewson (love how his blue eyes juxtaposes his face and the rest of the image) and the 1909 Wagner.

Thanks so much for sharing.
  • Options
    Thanks, MULLINS5!! Mathewson certainly had a great look to him, with the dirty blonde hair and blue eyes. Combine that with the Frank Merriwell virtues, it's no wonder so many kids idolized him!
    www.graigkreindler.com
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Those painting look life-like, they are amazing.
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    Those are fantastic. You have some great talent. Bobby
  • Options
    Thanks guys - I really appreciate it!

www.graigkreindler.com
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Graig

Superb work!

Looks better every time I see it.
    Mike
  • Options
    scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 808 ✭✭✭
    Love the Maz . . .

Do you think that ball has a chance to get out image
  • Options
    Thanks, Stone193!!

scotgreb - much to my father's chagrin, the ball goes over Yogi's head and out of the park every single time.

www.graigkreindler.com
  • Options
    Im stunned, i want to reach out and shake christy matthewson's hand,, amazing work, you have every right to be proud of your skills, thanks for showing them leonardo,,, bj
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Thanks, Bigjohn69!!
    www.graigkreindler.com
  • Options
    Hey all,

Since today is the anniversary of something special, I figured I'd post a related work-in-progress. Here's an unfinished commission depicting Lou Gehrig on May 2, 1939 - the day he took himself out of the Yankee lineup in Detroit, ending his streak of 2,130 consecutive games played. Taking his place at first base that afternoon was 26-year old Ellsworth 'Babe' Dahlgren, who had a double and a home run (and narrowly missed two more) in a route of the Tigers, 22-2. Pictured behind Gehrig's shoulder is pitcher Lefty Gomez, as well as Manager McCarthy in the dugout with two sportswriters.

This one's not terribly far from done, but the secondary figures need some work, as do some other spots. Gehrig though, is pretty much done. Also, please excuse the cruddy photography - I can never seem to get it right.

Hope y'all dig it!

Graig
    www.graigkreindler.com
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    are you doing giclee prints??
    I am sure you would do very well with those
  • Options
    Yankees001Yankees001 Posts: 1,496
    HOLLY CRAP!!!

Those are amazing. Have you even done Yankee Stadium?

I'm not sure which I like the best.

• Options
    Thanks, guys!

OAKSY25, currently I don't do giclees or lithos, as I very much like having just one original out there without prints. Most of the clients I deal with seem to be really into the idea that they have something that no one else ever will. At the same time, there are a ton of legal hurdles to jump through when making prints. Since the images become commercial the moment reproductions are made, MLB, MLBPA, player's estates and who-knows-who-else all come out of the wood-works demanding that they be paid (as well they should). I did do two lithographs about 5 years ago with Bill Goff and goodsportsart.com though, as he had the necessary licenses to sell such reproductions. But after everything was said and done with his company, I really got a bad taste in my mouth for doing prints.

Yankees001, here are a few more older paintings depicting the grand Stadium:

I have yet to tackle the renovated park, but I'm hoping to sometime in the near future. Hope you dig 'em!

Graig

www.graigkreindler.com
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    Graig,

Would you mind sharing the price of the Wagner action shot from 1909?
    PM's are welcome.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    absolutely blown away by some of the paintings. Per chance have you done a bob feller? I saw that you had something in the works on your website for the Bob Feller museum?

I would wager that these are high 4 figures to 5 figure paintings.
  • Options
    Akuracy503, PM sent!

ShawnyD, thanks so much for the kind words. I did indeed complete a Feller painting for his museum. We presented it to Bob at the National last year, and if I'm not mistaken, is now hanging in his building in Van Meter, Iowa. The fact that they were nice enough to commission me to do it was one thing, but the fact that I got to meet the man and the director of the museum was just beyond awesome! The painting depicts him throwing a pitch to Joe Kuhel in the eighth innings of his Opening Day no-hitter on April 16, 1940 in Chicago. Here's a scan:

I am also in the process of completing another Feller painting, this one showing him walking off of the field after throwing a one-hitter against Boston on July 31, 1946. It's pretty darn close to done, and probably just needs about another solid days worth of work. I'd be happy to post progress shots of that too, if you're interested.

Graig
    www.graigkreindler.com
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>...and probably just needs about another solid days worth of work. I'd be happy to post progress shots of that too, if you're interested.

Graig >>

absolutely! It'd be awesome to see the work as it progresses/completes.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Here ya go!!!

(And PLEASE excuse the awful photography. The colors are a bit out of whack, even after Photoshop adjustments.

Anyways, this one's almost done. I have some work to finish in the stands, the scoreboard and in the shaded area of the grass. I think Feller might need to be a tad touched up as well. Either way, my main concern is that it gives the impression of a clear, hot summer day!!

Thanks guys,

Graig
    www.graigkreindler.com
  • Options
    jlzinckjlzinck Posts: 907 ✭✭
    Gad I HATE people with talen like this, only because I can't do it!!

VERY nice work.

The Gehrig on the dugout steps is incredible!
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Hi,
    Can you do a 1991 Donruss Wes Chamberlain for me? Thanks.

Lee
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Awesome work.. Just curious, How long does one of these usually take?

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Hey Davemri, the time it takes to complete one of these really varies. The smaller portraits usually only take about a week or so. The larger paintings, once they get more involved with multiple figures, stadium shots and tons of research, can take as long as two months. Actually, the research part is usually the most time consuming. It seems that I can spend days and days looking for a certain bit of information, whether it's a color or weather forecast, and the painting just stalls until I find what I need. The more I do though, the quicker I get with the research stuff,as I have more resources at my fingertips every time.
    www.graigkreindler.com
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    GREAT ART WORK!

SO LIFE LIKE!

LIKE YOU CAN PINCH THEIR CHEEKS (if i was their grandmother)
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fellow artist props. Always like your stuff Graig. You do any shows?
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I saw him at the National last year.
  • Options
    Thanks DrBuster! For this year, I don't know if I'll be having any shows, as I've been completely swamped with commissions, so it's been really hard to build up a sizable inventory to do much. That's actually the same reason I won't get a booth at the National this year, as everything's sold!

I however will be at the Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge, MA on July 3 for their annual celebration of the National Pastime. If you're interested, check out the website for more info:

http://www.nrm.org/2010/01/play-ball-an-all-american-festival/
    www.graigkreindler.com
  • Options
    leadoff4leadoff4 Posts: 2,392
    Magnificent work!!! I hadn't clicked on the thread yet because I assumed it was some useless thread. Boy was I wrong. I see that the dimensions are relatively large. What is the smallest painting you've done?
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words leadoff4, as well as clicking on the link!

The smallest work I've done is probably that T-206 Wagner painting, at 5.5"x10". I regularly do 9"x12"s and 11"x14"s though, mostly portraits and single player images, as I find that those fit best on such sizes.
    www.graigkreindler.com
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    Graig,

Once again, your artwork blows us away! Thanks for taking time away from your busy schedule to share your incredible talents with the rest of us mortals. It's my humble opinion that you are the best sports artist out there, by far.

A couple of quick questions....has the Hall of Fame ever contacted you about a piece for the museum? I would think they would be beating your door down to have one or two hanging in the hallowed halls.

And have you thought about doing a book of your paintings? I know I would love to be able to thumb through a nice hard cover book looking at your work. I think it would be a nice addition to any baseball library.
    Looking for Carl Willey items.