Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

How does weighting work??

How do they use the weights to determine ranking. I am looking at the lincolns. Is there a formula they use?

DAN
United States Air Force Retired And Would Do It Again.

My first tassa slap 3/3/04

My shiny cents

imageThe half I am getting rid of and me, forever and always Taken in about 1959

Comments

• Options
    sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    Dan,
    Imaging a wo coin set where one coin was "3 times more valuable". You would have Coin A, weight 1 and Coin B weight 3 (no bonus points for RED or Full bands, ...). Your coin A is a 66 and your coin B is a 68

To get your weighted score you would do

(weight_of_b * grade_of_b + weight_of_a* grade_of_a)/sum_all_weights

in this case
    (3*68+1*66)/4

basically the way the new system works compared to the old system is that having a coin of weight 3 in the new system is like having is like having 3 coins of that grade in the old system.

-Paul
  • Options
    Using a coin that I have, a 1909vdb ms65 red, weight 3 makes it count as a 68 points,and red adds 2 to make it count as a 70 points. Is this right?

DAN

My shiny cents

imageThe half I am getting rid of and me, forever and always Taken in about 1959
  • Options
    sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    no, that is NOT right you coin would be (65+2)*3=201 points.

But keep in mind, there are 140 coins in the set, but a total weight of 419. So in the old system you would divide all of you points by 140, in the new one you divide by 419.

• Options
    Thanks Paul, I got it now

DAN

My shiny cents