Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Can anyone tell me what this is?

I know its a trade dollar minted by the US, but I can not identify the country it was made for.
imageimage

Comments

• Options

Pictures aren't showing for me. You may need to host them on Photobucket or similar, and link them here.

oh, and welcome to the boards.image
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    You cannot post pictures from your harddrive. You will need to upload your pictures to the web, either on this site or some other. Photobucket is a popular free web posting site, or your ISP may provide you space on the web for pictures.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options

<< <i>I know its a trade dollar minted by the US, but I can not identify the country it was made for. >>

The US Mint (1873-88), British mints in Bombay and Calcutta (1859-1935) and London (1925, 1930) and the Tokyo and Osaka Mints (1875-77) are the only ones producing 420 grain .900 silver coins designated "Trade Dollar", although other countries (e.g. Austria with its Maria Therese Thalers) also produced silver coins for use in Asia and the Middle East where currency traded by weight. US Trade Dollars were not "made for" any specific country.
    Roy

• Options
    <><><><><><>sig<><><><><><>

Love Errors and Varieties

<><><><>

WTB an error forum!
  • Options
    Newbie?? Only to this board my friend - thought someone out there might help me identify it. First time I've asked in the 10 years I've been a member of PCGS. Not much help though, no one seems to be able to identify it.

Thanks for the comment though.
  • Options
    They should be showing now - I would appreciate it if you can help me identify before I sent it in for grading.

Regards
  • Options
    Update - I suspect it could be a fake, the obverse is a mexican 8 reale dated 1885, reverse being that of a US Trade dollar. Strange thing is - it is silver as I've tested it.

My best option appears to be send it to PCGS and pay to have it confirmed one way or the other. Who knows, maybe its real and the only one in the world! :-)

Thanks for all of your comments - Billyray for the trade dollar wikipedia link.

Regards
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Image still doesn't show.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Doesn't sound like it would be a coin, maybe a token or fantasy piece? If you can get a picture up then these guys could probably save you the submission fees.
  • Options

<< <i>Newbie?? Only to this board my friend - thought someone out there might help me identify it. First time I've asked in the 10 years I've been a member of PCGS. Not much help though, no one seems to be able to identify it.

Thanks for the comment though. >>

That's my sig, wasn't calling you a newbie. sorry if there was any confusion

<><><><>

WTB an error forum!
  • Options

<< <i>the obverse is a mexican 8 reale dated 1885, reverse being that of a US Trade dollar. >>

As far as i know, there's no mules combining 2 different countries coin sides. The US coins were minted in the US mints and the Mexican coins were minted in Mexico mints.

<><><><>

WTB an error forum!
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Odd.. I would say something like that is 99.9999% likely not a genuine coin, whether silver or not.

Anyhow, welcome to the forum! image

Billy, there actually are a few 2 country mules, the New Zealand 2c / Bahamas 5c is probably the most famous and common.

• Options
    True, i should of clarified different mints, not different countries

<><><><>

WTB an error forum!
  • Options
    Very strange, the pix show on my side here - lets see if I can figure it out. Thanks to everyone for info so far.
  • Options
    See if you can open these please
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be interested in when and where this item was purchased.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

<< <i>See if you can open these please >>

Oh yeah.

Can you say "Phone knee"?
    Roy

• Options
    Just for the heck of it, here's a couple of iimages for comparison-

Obverse of 1885 GoRR 8R

Reverse of 1878-S Trade Dollar

Jim
  • Options
    It was a couple of years ago and on eBay
  • Options
    Appears from Jim's post that there are a few of these around - so you're sure they are phoney?
  • Options
    Jim, Ray seems to think they are fake - is that your take too?
  • Options
    Phoney or not - it is silver, I tested it for that for what's it worth. Only paid $12 for it on eBay - thanks to all for helping me identify it. Great bunch of folks.
  • Options
    mudskippiemudskippie Posts: 540 ✭✭

<< <i>Jim, Ray seems to think they are fake - is that your take too? >>

For a coin that isn't listed in any books or catalogs, your chance of a counterfeit/ not genuine coin is 99.999%. BTW, there is a huge number of fantasy (privately struck) pieces that content 50% to almost 99.9% precious metal.
  • Options
    Agree with that, I figured it was fake but not being an expert - well one never knows. Thank you to all that contributed to this thread - I appreciate the PCGS community.