Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Hm. I don't see any obvious red flags, and yet I'm skeered of this one...

1901 Straits Settlements 50c

I happen to know these are a favorite of the Chinese counterfeiters. Nothing leaps out and screams "fake!" on this piece, as far as I can tell, but then again, it scares me. What do y'all think?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Private auction: Strike one.
    No returns: Strike two.
    Heavily Counterfeited: Strike three.
    $19 Shipping: Strike four.
    Raw: Strike five.
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    Lots of red flags IMO. Stay. Away.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A JamminJ sighting? Cool. I wouldn't bid because of the $19 shipping alone.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    The photos are not good enough to be able to say for sure, but it has the look of a Chinese fake.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Interesting dichotomy -

<< <i>AUTHENTICITY GUARANTEE. >>

and

<< <i>No Returns Accepted >>

Roy

• the wear patterns don't look right to me - could be a weak strike or something, but there looks to be serious wear on the hair and cheek, yet the crown looks pristene, coupled with all the comments above, PASS
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • I just sent them a message

<< <i>If it's authenticity is guaranteed, why is there a no return policy? >>

I'll let yall know if i get a reply
    <><><><><><>sig<><><><><><>

Love Errors and Varieties

<><><><>

WTB an error forum!
  • wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A JamminJ sighting? Cool. I wouldn't bid because of the $19 shipping alone. >>

I was just thinking this myself, glad to have him back and hope he posts more
  • His reply

<< <i>HI
    AUTHENTICITY GUARANTEE. NO RETURNS BECOUSE OF CANADA CUSTOMS >>

<><><><>

WTB an error forum!
  • danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭
    Well, all I can say is that it devalued by fifty percent from the title to the image image
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • him

<< <i> I GUARANTEEE AUTHENTICITY >>

me

<< <i>yes, you guarantee it, That means you'll make thing's right if it's not authentic. How do you make things right with no returns? >>

<><><><>

WTB an error forum!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I totally overlooked the the $19 shipping fee, and the fact that it was a private auction with no returns.

It kinda-sorta does look like some of the Chinese fakes, colorwise, but if so, it's better than most.

Not that I was gonna buy it. I was too afraid to touch it with the proverbial ten-foot pole.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.