Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

My regrades are in and my Merc Collection complete

with the additions of the two overdates and the 1921. I sent in these coins along with the 1945 micro s for my free registry regrades which also included the secure plus service. The 1921 has full bands but was not designated as such. I went 0 for 4 with secure plus. image I have true views of these coins if you need pictures. (see my sig line) Anyway my merc collection is complete and I am still looking for 18 upgrades to this collection before I am satisfied. It is a lofty goal in trying to find the right coins and the money, and even then I would never be able to break into the top 5. I hope others are taking advantage of the free registry submissions which also include the secure plus service. The coins were sent in already slabbed and it was a good time to get a true view during this process. Well anyway I guess I have a ways to go before I actually complete this set the way I want.

Comments

• fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Dennis, Bummer, but you sure have a nice set. You are only .04 behind me, so it shouldn't take you much to pass my by. It looks like you had a few move up one grade on earlier resubmissions, but keep looking and working at it--you can get into the top 5 if we just keep at it.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking set. I'm not that into Merc dimes, but based on what I know that 1921 is awesome looking and clearly FB.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice set. I like the overdates and they missed it on the 1921. It HAS full bands.

• KozmanKozman Posts: 275 ✭✭
    Thanks for the encouragement Tony, but the top 6 to 7 sets are pretty much set in stone. There are also some very nice sets in the works that will make it into the top 5 someday. I know my limits by playing around with the "what if" in the set registry. By plugging in the 18 upgrades I wish to pursue (all dates within the 1916 to 1931 range) I would accomplish a set rating of 64.07 and rank #8. I went further by upgrading 21 in the (1934 to 1945 range) to only get a rating of 64.73 and still be ranked #8. If I would then purchase a 1916-D in AU58, it would finally put me into #7 with a rating of 65.45. This is a lot of time and money to get into #7. Of course I could get a 1921-D in AU50 or a 1917-d MS63FB to immediately put me in #8 without the other initial 17 upgrades. I'm just having fun here, and the bottom line isn't the ranking, but having a set I'm happy with. Speaking of having fun, that is one incredible set with varieties you are working on. I never thought so many varieties existed . I'll look through my mercs to see if I have any you need. As always you have represented your sets with great photos and comments. As somebody said in a thread on the forum, you should write a book on your merc varieties. You are the expert in this field.
    illini420 and Dimeman you are totally correct about the 1921 having full bands. I can't see how they missed it after scanning the coin for the secure plus process and then having a true view done. I sent it in as an AU58 and was expecting to get an AU58FB which would have made it a pop 1 of 0 coin. I guess they could have at least given it an AU58 plus. Thanks for the compliments guys. Illini420, that is an incredible 1909 mint set with gold. A nice presentation with photos and all. Have you ever thought about doing a 1921 mint set with gold? I've given it a thought a few years ago, but all the denominations of 1921 will just about make it impossible to complete. Does such a set exist now, complete in MS? I'll have to look. Dimeman you have a fantastic set that you have been working on. Great looking coins in all grades with beautiful eye appeal. At first I thought you were never going to complete this set, but you are starting to prove me wrong. Good luck in completing it. Dennis (KozMc Mercs)
  • yellowjacketyellowjacket Posts: 1,809
    Congratulations on assembling such a nice set. I know what you mean about not being able to crack the top sets. At #7, I've gone about as far as I can go without drawing on a second mortgage. You are in the top 10 and that is a real accomplishment in a tough series.

Good luck on your hunt for upgrades.
    Garrow
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kozman, haven't thought about a 1921 set, but that would be pretty cool. lots of key dates in that set for sure, which is one of the things that attracted me to doing a 1909 set. 1921 would be a little tougher to complete financially though, especially if you wanted to do it in gem and especially if you included the gold (just a $20 that year). Doesn't look like anyone has ever completed the set with the $20 gold, but it appears to have been done w/o the gold.
  • BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Congratulations on a very nice set.

Good job! image
    Thanks Garrow and Boom for the kind words. Garrow, your #7 set seems to have a strong hold on that position and it deserves to be, but it seems that being in #9 for me didn't even last a week. With all my talk about using the "what if" function in the registry has awaken a sleeping giant (The Postan Collection). That's good because I like to spur more interest in Mercs by way of this forum. Illini, you are correct about no one completing the 1921 mint set with gold. I figure to complete this set in say around MS60 would cost $140,000 or there abouts. The 1921 gold in MS60 according to the PCGS price guide is valued at $100,000. There is someone that completed the 1921 mint set without the gold (Duke of Edinburg), but it appears that most of his coins have estimated grades and are not slabbed by PCGS.
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Dennis, My 1919-S went +, so it will now take you .06 which should still be doable for you. And, by the way thanks for the nice comments, too.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Tony, Congrats on your 19-S. That's a great upgrade. image