Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Crossing from NGC to PCGS

goldengolden Posts: 9,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
There is a coin in an auction that is in a NGC holder with a CAC green sticker.I need this coin for my PCGS Registry set.Has anyone had a coin in a NGC holder with a CAC green sticker that failed to cross to PCGS at the same grade?image

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There is a coin in an auction that is in a NGC holder with a CAC green sticker.I need this coin for my PCGS Registry set.Has anyone had a coin in a NGC holder with a CAC green sticker that failed to cross to PCGS at the same grade?image >>

No doubt, they have. The NGC-sticker combo is no lock for cross at PCGS (and vice versa).
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't have an answer for you, but...

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>There is a coin in an auction that is in a NGC holder with a CAC green sticker.I need this coin for my PCGS Registry set.Has anyone had a coin in a NGC holder with a CAC green sticker that failed to cross to PCGS at the same grade?image >>

Welcome to the forum.

If you will only be satisfied if the coin gets in a PCGS holder at that grade, you are probably much better off waiting until you find one already in a PCGS holder.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you really have to have one for a registry set you should probably buy one already in a PCGS holder. What if it doesn't cross? Andimage

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Hopefully with a sticker on the holder you chances are good. If your real desperate you can buy it and send it in with a minimum grade accepted. If it won't go, sell it! In the past i would just send it in more than once and usually get the grade i want.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have. I also think that PCGS was...

Here's the coin, it was in an old fatty NGC MS65 with CAC. The ONLY reason I tried to cross it was because the 1/2 dime in a fatty NGC holder is lost amongst the plastic. The coin would look much better in a PCGS holder, but at the end of the day the coin is the coin and I am VERY happy with it. It's a no brainer MS65 IMO.

EDITED TO ADD: Needless to say, I kept it in the fatty/CAC holder.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you'd be better off removing all trace evidence of the sticker prior to submission.

If the coin is solid, it should cross grade for grade.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have. I also think that PCGS was...

Here's the coin, it was in an old fatty NGC MS65 with CAC. The ONLY reason I tried to cross it was because the 1/2 dime in a fatty NGC holder is lost amongst the plastic. The coin would look much better in a PCGS holder, but at the end of the day the coin is the coin and I am VERY happy with it. It's a no brainer MS65 IMO.

EDITED TO ADD: Needless to say, I kept it in the fatty/CAC holder.

image >>

Hello golden and image
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has come up before and the answer is always the same. There is no assurance that it will cross at grade, even with the CAC sticker.

You can try it with a minimum grade and if it doesn't work you're only out the fees and shipping.

Good luck! And welcome to the forum!
    Lance.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skyman, that's a gorgeous half dime. Love it. Have you tried to cross it more than once? Sure looks like an excellent candidate. I would give it another shot.
    Lance.
  • Options

<< <i>I think you'd be better off removing all trace evidence of the sticker prior to submission.

If the coin is solid, it should cross grade for grade. >>

If you think PCGS will be unbiased in its assessment, the CAC sticker shouldn't hurt the chances of a crossover. Why remove the sticker and possibly reduce the liquidity of the coin?
  • Options

<< <i>.... The ONLY reason I tried to cross it was because the 1/2 dime in a fatty NGC holder is lost amongst the plastic...... >>

If that was the only reason you tried to cross it, why not get it placed in a new NGC holder, which should show the coin off a lot better?
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    I never understood the whole crossing over bit. If you only want your coins in PCGS holders, then buy them that way to begin with rather than trying to play a game. Whether the coin is in a PCGS holder, NGC holder, ANACS, ICG, NTC, SGS, PCI, etc., and you like the coin, isn't that all that matters? What happens if you try to cross the coin and it does not cross? Then do you no longer like it? It seems rediculous to me. I've got plenty of coins in "other" holders and I love them. I did not buy them for the slab, I bought them because I liked them.

Enjoy the hobby of coin collecting for collecting coins, not plastic slabs. If you are only in it for collecting the slabs and the number ont he slab, then surely you can bet you WILL be disaapointed in the future.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    PCGS refuses to cross a significant number of NGC/CAC coins. The green bean is by no means an assurance of a cross at grade to PCGS. I wish it were.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

• Options

Hi golden,

Welcome to the boards!

No guarantee. Just recently, I cracked a coin out of an NGC holder with CAC green sticker and submitted it to PCGS for grading. I'll let you know once I get the result.

Usually, when I try to cross NGC graded coins to PCGS, I kind of prepare myself for a downgrade. I do buy the coins but I also like them to be in a PCGS holder.

Cheers!
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    remember, the graders at PCGS actually consider only the coin and not what surrounds it. unfortunately, when doing a "crossover" they are hindered in a true assessment of the coin by having to look through the plastic and will always DNC if there is doubt. my experiences with crossovers have been about 50/50 with most of the DNC's crossing when cracked out and re-submitted. my lesson learned is that if i feel confident about the coin i should just crack it out and send it in.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Skyman, that's a gorgeous half dime. Love it. Have you tried to cross it more than once? Sure looks like an excellent candidate. I would give it another shot.
    Lance. >>

Thank you Lance. At this point in time I have zero interest in paying PCGS any more money on this coin.

To Mark regarding the new NGC holder, I've gotten used to the coin in the slab.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I finally saw a CAC stickered coin today. A dealer brought it into the shop. It was an MS 65 US commemorative and on the label, this sticker is covering part of the description.

I could not read the "4" where the label says "2 x 4" ....
    Which coin is it and why should the label be on the reverse of the slab ?
    P.S. Great toning and it looked perfectly natural.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The above mentioned coin was in a PCGS holder,... I'm curious if it could get a plus or if it was already lasered.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Skyman, that's a gorgeous half dime. Love it. Have you tried to cross it more than once? Sure looks like an excellent candidate. I would give it another shot.
    Lance. >>

Thank you Lance. At this point in time I have zero interest in paying PCGS any more money on this coin.

To Mark regarding the new NGC holder, I've gotten used to the coin in the slab. >>

You should just sell it to me you spammer you image

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I finally saw a CAC stickered coin today. A dealer brought it into the shop. It was an MS 65 US commemorative and on the label, this sticker is covering part of the description.

I could not read the "4" where the label says "2 x 4" ....
    Which coin is it and why should the label be on the reverse of the slab ?
    P.S. Great toning and it looked perfectly natural. >>

Sounds like it was a Grant Commemorative. Some fo them have "2X4" on them, they are, if I am correct, much scarcer and command quite a premium. What the 2x4 means? I have no clue.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    scoobydeuxscoobydeux Posts: 498 ✭✭

<< <i>PCGS refuses to cross a significant number of NGC/CAC coins. The green bean is by no means an assurance of a cross at grade to PCGS. I wish it were. >>

Agree. I had a really lovely 1833 CBH + green CAC that would not cross at grade 3 times. As others have said, if you want PCGS, stick with PCGS. BTW, to broaden the original question, a coin graded by NGC does not even guarnatee the next lower grade at PCGS, although this is often the case. Neither does the NGC encapuslation guarantee against a "genuine" designation by PCGS.

And by the way...image
    "Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end."
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    2*4 was the Missouri, 24th State.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file