Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Russia rouble crossovers (4 for 7)

I had a mixed bag of success across the street with some crossovers. I had 4 of 7 successfully cross over, all from ANACS holders. I thought I had a better eye than that, but I will not spill tears in my beer. Does anybody know if they tell you the reason it did not cross?

The successful crossovers:

1769CNB CA RUSSIA ROUBLE NGC VF30 (old generation ANACS VF35)

1798CM MB RUSSIA ROUBLE NGC VF25 (old generation ANACS VF30)

1844CNB KB RUSSIA ROUBLE NGC MS63 (old generation ANACS MS62)

1894 AT RUSSIA ROUBLE NGC XF45 (old generation ANACS AU50)

Did not cross....hoping to find out if I specified too high a grade, or if it was due to some other reason:

1731 RUSSIA ROUBLE (new generation ANACS VF30)

1912 EB RUSSIA NAPOLEON'S DEFEAT ROUBLE (old generation ANACS AU55)

1915 BC RUSSIA ROUBLE (old generation ANACS MS61)

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1769 R is very nice and even though it was given a 30, I think ANACS got it right at 35

No comment on the 1798 R- However, 30 seemed reasonable

THE 1844 looks good 62-63 seems appropriate

I like the 1894- 50 is high but a reasonable grade

The 1731 looks to be more in the VF20 range

I am not able to offer an accurate opinion on the Nepoleonic 1912 commem based on the image

The image is not helping the case for the 1915 R- Looks over dipped and just not all that attractive- based solely on the image, I have to side with NGC on this one

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks coinkat - I think you are on target on all your comments. I guess I'll keep my day job.

The 1731 and 1912 were the two disappointments. The pic on the 1912 Borodino is a victim of photoshop gone out of control on my end.....I need to start over from scratch on imaging that one. It is actually a pleasant coin to look at in hand and I thought the surfaces looked fine. The 1731 looked like a good honest VF with decent wear for the grade, so I'm interested to see if NGC offers any comments on the lack of crossover. I had the minimum crossover at VF20 for the 1731 and AU-50 for the 1912.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe you did quite well. It's clear that for world coinage, ANACS is not at par with the other 2 graders.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worldcoinguy:

As for the 1912- and even the 1915, I am not trying to be critical of the coins or the images- I am offering my opinion or why I am not able to offer an opinion - Also, keep in the back of your mind that grading is an opinion and I am keeping my day job tooimage

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.