Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Wasn't there a Stacks auction of Eliasberg coins...

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
being done today?

I cannot find anything on their website about it...image
I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    rwyarmchrwyarmch Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭✭
    Their Coin Galleries auction closed at 3pm eastern. It takes them a little time to factor in the last minute rush of mail, fax and phone bids.

Here's a link that still gets me there.

Stacks April 28
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Due to the crush of bids they did extend the auction to 5pm. The server was on its knees between 2 & 3pm could not get anything to be displayed.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    So when does the floor action start? I am interested to know how long my bid holds up.
  • Options
    No floor bidding on Coin Galleries - only internet and mail/phone bidding.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
  • Options
    Thanks - I didn't realize it was pre-bid only. The final hammer was $4 under my max bid on the lot I pursued, but it looks like it went to a different high bidder. I was beat in a photo finish.
  • Options
    Looks like I lost my last item. I was still the high bidder an hour after the polls closed - but no longer. I'm sure that entering all the mail and phone bids received today takes a bit of time. image

It will be interesting to see the final prices of the Conder tokens - much cheaper to buy from the leading dealers here and in England than to try to win similar tokens at auction.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
  • Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    Wow, bidding must have been crazy at the end. I checked some prices a couple of days ago and all was quiet. Then, today it was a challenge even getting the lots to come up. I threw in a couple of late bids during the extended hour of bidding. I wonder if they will hold/be honored.

I would not be happy if the auction closed at the stated time. Then, without notice, time was extended and I lose out or have to pay a higher price.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I had one bid in, I was high bidder when the auction was supposed to end, then of course they pull the old "we're gonna extend the auction for a couple of hours". Now of course with their antiquated system you can't even find the auction results.

Dear Stacks, never again. Heritage and the Goldbergs send their thanks.

Regards,
  • Options
    JCM - just used the link rwyarmch posted above and then navigate to the lot(s) you are interested in.

Stacks always removes the links to the auction from their website at the close of the auction until the bids are finalized.

Their server was useless the last hour of bidding.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I had one bid in, I was high bidder when the auction was supposed to end, then of course they pull the old "we're gonna extend the auction for a couple of hours". Now of course with their antiquated system you can't even find the auction results.

Dear Stacks, never again. Heritage and the Goldbergs send their thanks.

Regards, >>

I watched the Heritage Live™ auction yesterday (4/26) for several hours and it seemed to be quite seamless in its execution....even with the "ding-ding" when someone hit BID in the last nanosecond, and they'd reopen what appeared to be a closed lot and the bidders would continue 'assaulting' each other....GOOD SHOW!!!
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There sure was a Stacks (Coin Galleries, actually) sale that ended today. And prices, at least for what I was following, went absolutely crazy. And yes, the bidding was frantic at the end. I bet Stacks wished they would have put this material in a floor auction. The quality of many of the Eliasberg pieces was exceptional and this sale reinforces that there is indeed incredible demand for exceptional and rare material.

Check this lot: link

I kept my Watch List in a browser window so I could link to the coins after they "removed" the sale for final adjudication.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do I know if I won or not? That website is a big mess.
  • Options
    I wouldn't count on the prices listed in rwyarmch's link to be the final prices. The one's I checked seem to be too cheap. I hope they're correct it means I won a coin for $80 plus juice that sold on ebay for $275 one of these

They're Eliasberg Junior coins
  • Options
    I suspect all the mail/fax bids have not yet been entered. Stacks is not known for "staying late at the office." image

Check back Thursday afternoon.
  • Options
    Some auction process. Heritage is by far superior.
  • Options
    Process wise - Absolutely. However, if you collect more esoteric items Stacks cannot be ignored.

My collection of Conder tokens would be DEAD if I relied on Heritage. For some reason they do not use any of the normal keywords (token, Conder, D&H, Dalton, Hamer, etc.) for these tokens in their listings making what few Conder tokens they do auction virtually impossible to find.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zohar - you bid on the '48 25 Mil? I was outbid towards the end - Kinda hope at least it went to someone here image
  • Options
    Winning bids posted! Good luck, everyone.
  • Options
    I bid for the 25 mils yet do not know if I won??
  • Options
    Struck out. image

The prices for Conder tokens were insane once again. I hope rwyarmch won the token he was bidding on - but given its hammer price I doubt it.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
  • Options
    I got a good deal this for melt compared to what was paid on ebay
  • Options
    This is my pickup. I know it may not look exciting yet getting a nice Israel 1948 25 Mils is tough. The 1949 is a nice addition as well.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought seven or eight lots. Although it was frustrating to wait as long as it took to get results, I was delighted with my purchases and with the integrity of the bidding process. I bought one lot for $150 against a maximum bid of $400, and another for $3250 against a $4000 bid.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Pictures, we need pictures! image
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    Picked up my 25 mils lot at the Stack's store today, looks awesome in hand!
  • Options
    I did pick up one lot below the estimate. The winning bidder number confused me, so I didn't think I won it until the invoice arrived.

Italian States - Venice
    No date (1625-1629)
    Scudo (140 Soldi)
    VF-30 (NGC)

imageimage
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I wound up winning one lot, the 1837 Halfpenny.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also ended up with one lot - Belgian Congo 1887 2 Centimes better of the 2 dates in a yummy state of preservation!

• Options
    There was a bunch of nice RD and RB UNC copper in the Eliasberg Collection. He must have had a soft spot for red copper.
  • Options
    OchoRealesOchoReales Posts: 1,500
    Nice pick ups everyone! image Nothing for me as I blew my allowance on Heritage.image
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I missed this one...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.