Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Thoughts on this card 1961 Mays ?

1961 Topps #150 Willie mays. I just got this today and I was wondering what yall thought about it. I like this card because of the corners but mainly the color. It seems to always have white snow on it. And is normally OC. But this one is way to OC TB. Is it worth grading? If I did send it in what would be the highest straight grade I could get. It looks right out of a pack and has perfect corners.

I also picked this one up today I think its a straight 8 solid corners and dead centered. These narrow boarders are hard to find centered. Think its an 8? The scan didnt come out that well and by the scan it doesnt look like an 8 but it looks better in hand.

Comments

• Options
    are you building a graded set? it looks fine raw : ) the mays also can have lot of print dots.
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    straight 6, as long as that top right corner is good. Nice card.
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    I agree on the 6.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah the top corner is ok. Looks a little dirty in the scan. To be honest the card looks like a Mint 9 OC very clean. I might try SGC if PSA would only give this a 6. Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    I've seen a couple of really sharp 7's with centering like that but usually if everything is sharp but the centering and you want NQ it's a 6 at best. I had a PSA 7 '69 Mantle that I bought for a set I built a while back that resembled that one so it's possible.
  • Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Mays looks trimmed.
  • Options
    Good guess but its not
  • Options

<< <i>Mays looks trimmed. >>

lol, every single raw card that gets posted on here is trimmed. Didn't you know that?
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Agreed it's a 6.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    The Mays looks like a psa 6 to me, nice card.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Mays looks trimmed. >>

lol, every single raw card that gets posted on here is trimmed. Didn't you know that? >>

This seems to be so true. After about two pages of posts back and forth of trimmed, not trimmed. The orginal poster seems to always get the card graded. image
  • Options
    it get s a 5 or a 6, top right corner stops this from being a straight 7 or a PSA 9 OC. JMHO example:

• Options
    onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    Mays PSA 5, 6 on a good day.
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    The Mays is a solid 6 and the Jacson is a 7 on a good day.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd agree with the 6 for the Mays, and the Jackson looks like a sure 7, it may have a shot at an 8.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    I still think the Mays it trimmed. Look at the right hand side about a 1/4 way up --notch-- then waves.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the right side of the Mays looks trimmed. Why people would trim an EX-MT card is beyond me. Could be a miscut.
  • Options
    The wave is caused by the case not being perfectly flat and the scan gives it that bend effect. Its not trimmed