Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Newp: 1957 Mint set, pics of some toned coins :)

I have been calling coin dealers all over The NY area and have been having no luck with finding 48-58 mint sets image When they do say that they have them i go down there and its a made up set in capital holders image I had some extra cash and i rolled the dice on a set via ebay with some terrible pics but at $225 i felt i could at least get my cash back if i didnt like the coins. Now my picture taking skills are far from great but i did my best. All i did was hold the coins in my hand aiming them basically out the sliding door for the natural day light to make the colors pop. What i find very different is that many of the coins have yellow toning which imo looks very cool image Here is a few coins in the set, all the others i didnt take pics of pretty much have similiar toning.

Comments

• Options
    AT, although the TPG's have been grading them anyway.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭

<< <i>AT, although the TPG's have been grading them anyway. >>

If these bag due to being AT ill give you a 100 bux lol. My terrible picture taking must be making the color look off.
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

If these bag due to being AT ill give you a 100 bux lol. My terrible picture taking must be making the color look off. >>

The color looks enhanced to me.
    Did you mess with the saturation at all? It could just be the yellow light conditions I suppose.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

If these bag due to being AT ill give you a 100 bux lol. My terrible picture taking must be making the color look off. >>

The color looks enhanced to me.
    Did you mess with the saturation at all? It could just be the yellow light conditions I suppose. >>

I did an auto fix. Ill take another pic of the last coin but wont auto fix it this time. Post it in a minute.
  • Options
    there is less sun light now and in this pic i did no fixing just cropped the photo. Im using a super cheap camera and have no idea how to mess with the settings at all.

• Options
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    I'm going with Bushmaster here ; the coins look like roll coins and the color is not right for natural mint set tone .

It is very hard, in fact near impossible - to "call around" and expect to find any totally orig. mint sets .

They are very far and few between and there are more then a few "special" buyers that make the rounds often of local shops in search of the 48-58

mint sets
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,483 ✭✭✭✭
    I simply do not understand this fascination with color since it does not affect the numismatic grade nor does it present the coin in an as minted state.
    All it does is make it pretty to look at, perhaps piquing the curiosity of some newbie. To pay ridiculous sums for such augmentation, especially when it is unknown whether or not it may be natural, is just beyond my reasoning.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>I simply do not understand this fascination with color since it does not affect the numismatic grade nor does it present the coin in an as minted state.
    All it does is make it pretty to look at, perhaps piquing the curiosity of some newbie. To pay ridiculous sums for such augmentation, especially when it is unknown whether or not it may be natural, is just beyond my reasoning. >>

I agree with you 100%. That color is simply just nice to look at and that is about it. I have yet to pay stupid money for toned coins and dont think i ever will. I will say it is a fact that very experienced collectors will pay HUGE premiums for a coin with exceptional color, not just newbies. If thats what floats there boat then so be it better them than me or you. ALso the color on the coins is natural im 100% on that. My pics i will admit suck as you can see and makes them look radioactive lol.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm going with Bushmaster here ; the coins look like roll coins and the color is not right for natural mint set tone .

It is very hard, in fact near impossible - to "call around" and expect to find any totally orig. mint sets .

They are very far and few between and there are more then a few "special" buyers that make the rounds often of local shops in search of the 48-58

mint sets >>

Ive actually had pretty good luck just simply calling around and asking until recently.
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    Those coins do look AT, but honestly I think it's just your images that make them look AT.

I'll bet if these coins were imaged by some of our photographers on this site they would look NT, but it's very hard to tell from those images.
    "It is what it is."
  • Options

<< <i>Those coins do look AT, but honestly I think it's just your images that make them look AT.

I'll bet if these coins were imaged by some of our photographers on this site they would look NT, but it's very hard to tell from those images. >>

No offence, but some photographers here can make any coin look NT.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW!! Nice color for sure!!image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    RebelRonRebelRon Posts: 544 ✭✭

<< <i>I simply do not understand this fascination with color since it does not affect the numismatic grade nor does it present the coin in an as minted state.
    All it does is make it pretty to look at, perhaps piquing the curiosity of some newbie. To pay ridiculous sums for such augmentation, especially when it is unknown whether or not it may be natural, is just beyond my reasoning. >>

I guess, "to each his own"is the best part of coin collecting.Personally,toned coins are an acquired taste and I will pay a premium.
  • Options
    Not to throw caution to the wind an actually disagree with some pretty knowledgeable folks in this thread but....the coins look 100% NT, mint set toned...I have pulled dozens of coins from original sets with the same toning and they all graded. His images aren't great but frankly...if you know how to image coins then you should know how these coins would look in hand as far as the color being a bit more subdued. Also keep in mind the angles he is using...if the coin were shot straight on the toning would be present but less dramatic and we all try to image our coins in the best light and at the best angles so I can see what he was attempting to do. Color wise these coins would sell for a premium....grade wise it probably isn't worth the submission but you never know?

As far as the old mint state argument....which makes me laugh really hard every time I hear it......coins were meant to be used in everyday commerce and not meant to be struck and sit in hoppers at the mint so the idea of Mint state is really a fallacy anyway. If a coin has no wear it is in Mint State as struck...the addition of microscopic layers of silver sulphide in no way take the coin out of mint state anymore than a jar of jewel luster.....you can't have it both ways people........surface changes at the micro level are surface changes at the micro level so don't try to lay a definition on one type of coin while turning a blind eye as to how that same definition comes back to buy you own collecting habits in the butt.....
  • Options

<< <i>Those coins do look AT, but honestly I think it's just your images that make them look AT.

I'll bet if these coins were imaged by some of our photographers on this site they would look NT, but it's very hard to tell from those images. >>

PC send me a PM with who you recommend for doing some photo work for me. I have many coins i would like imaged and since i cant do it might as well leave that to someone who can image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

PC send me a PM with who you recommend for doing some photo work for me. I have many coins i would like imaged and since i cant do it might as well leave that to someone who can image >>

Some of us image our own, but there are some forum members who do imaging for a small fee.
    Mark (Mgoodm3), Jeremy (Airplanenut), and Todd (Blu62vette) are some of them. There are a few others as well.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Well........... if you are 100% sure then the issue is moot ;

however , take the pix of the first coin posted,

tilted I can see that the color on the bottom left @ 6 to 9 o'clock rolls/flows onto the edge

- this is not typical of the hundreds of mint sets I have broken up ...........
  • Options
    Love the toning on the 57 p franklin.
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options

<< <i>If these bag due to being AT ill give you a 100 bux lol. My terrible picture taking must be making the color look off. >>

Send the $ to
    Greg Lewis
    Box 413
    Plainfield, IL 60544

"Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If these bag due to being AT ill give you a 100 bux lol. My terrible picture taking must be making the color look off. >>

Send the $ to
    Greg Lewis
    Box 413
    Plainfield, IL 60544

image >>

When i send them and they do bag your cash will be sent image If they dont do i get anything image
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you should have asked before offering the $100.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bushmaster....I want a cut of that $100!!!!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look ok to me.
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    I am in the AT camp..
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options

<< <i>Well........... if you are 100% sure then the issue is moot ;

however , take the pix of the first coin posted,

tilted I can see that the color on the bottom left @ 6 to 9 o'clock rolls/flows onto the edge

- this is not typical of the hundreds of mint sets I have broken up ........... >>

We will have to disagree on this one becuase of two key point....as already discussed...the pictures aren't that good so determining the extent of the color roll over on the edge is impossible. #2 not all mint set coins are properly fully seated in the carboard, I have seen probably 5 or more frankies that the edges were toned in a similar color to the rest of the coin since the coin was not completly wedged into the card board opening. I will see if I captures this in any of my past pictures though I usually cropped the coin edges in my photos.
  • Options
    Best examples I can find considering I don't tilt my coins at that much of an angle...all of these were all out of mint sets and all graded at NGC...

Heck I can find tons of other denominations that exhibit the exact same thing image

I think I still have a few mint set toned coins at home so i can see if there are more with similar edge toning rollover......
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What? No nickels? Nice catch!

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    After playing with my cheap cameras settings and the help from a very helpful forum member i was able to get a more realistic picture image

• Options

<< <i>What? No nickels? Nice catch!

Leo >>

There was actually one really nice one. Imo most of the sets the nickels dont really tone that nice, ive only seen a hand full that i would call exceptional.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    Shane,

you make a valid argument ;

we would have to see the coins in hand to make a definitive opinion
  • Options
    deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    they will grade at pcgs or ngc !
  • Options

<< <i>Shane,

you make a valid argument ;

we would have to see the coins in hand to make a definitive opinion >>

I would agree with that statment in reference to these coins and most image
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coins look NT to me -- the color is like off in the pictures, which may lead some to think they are AT. However, the coins look like they were target toned in an album, but I have seen coins like those in mint sets as well.
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    I won't touch a toned coin unless I see a shadow around the devices and I see none on these coins.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options

<< <i>I won't touch a toned coin unless I see a shadow around the devices and I see none on these coins. >>

You wont really find that sort of toning from mint set coins. You mostly see that on morgans from bag toning i believe.
  • Options

<< <i>they will grade at pcgs or ngc ! >>

all day
  • Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭
    “When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I won't touch a toned coin unless I see a shadow around the devices and I see none on these coins. >>

You wont really find that sort of toning from mint set coins. You mostly see that on morgans from bag toning i believe. >>

I have never seen that type of toning on washingtons, franklins, or roosies. I believe that only exists on bag toned morgans. Are there any other series that this type of toning occurs?
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    So...........we got some saying they will slab- and some saying they won't ; all from interpretation of pix .

one sure way to find out image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file