Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1952 Topps Mickey Mantle RC pull from pack info.

Hello all-
Does anyone have any info of what type of packs this card could be pulled from besides the obvious 1952 original packs? Was there more recent packs that an authentic rookie could be pulled from?
Any info would be appreciated.
Error and RC collector.

Comments

• Tristar had some boxes with a '52 in one of them. It's been pulled.

link
    imageimageimage
  • leftofdialleftofdial Posts: 442 ✭✭
    Thanks for that link. Like many others, I'm somewhat skeptical of the Tristar hidden treasures product. It's nice to see that an honest to god card collector won the big prize. From the article, he seems like a deserving recipient.
  • JustfishinjjJustfishinjj Posts: 113 ✭✭✭
    Thanks D. You are always a wealth of knowledge. I have a potential one that I will keep you posted on. I'm still sorting out if it is authentic.
    Error and RC collector.
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    When it comes to Mantle "RC's" go '51 Bowman or go home image

Thanks for the spell check guys!
  • gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159

<< <i>When it comes to Mantle "RC's" go '51 Bowman of go home image >>

When being a smartarse, try not to have a typo. image It takes all your thunder.
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>When it comes to Mantle "RC's" go '51 Bowman of go home image >>

When being a smartarse, try not to have a typo. image It takes all your thunder. >>

Yes, it's quite Marty McFly.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com

<< <i>When it comes to Mantle "RC's" go '51 Bowman or go home image

Thanks for the spell check guys! >>

Well I guess I will be "going home" whatever that means cause I am talking about the 52 RC.
    Error and RC collector.
  • AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Well I guess I will be "going home" whatever that means cause I am talking about the 52 RC. >>

His RC is '51 Bowman... if your wanting a '52 topps RC, that's his 2nd year card.

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

<< <i>

<< <i>

Well I guess I will be "going home" whatever that means cause I am talking about the 52 RC. >>

His RC is '51 Bowman... if your wanting a '52 topps RC, that's his 2nd year card.

John >>

So I guess sites like this are incorrect? http://mickey-mantle-cards.blogspot.com/2009/06/1952-topps-mickey-mantle-rookie-card.html

The Topps is worth more and more desirable IMO.
    Error and RC collector.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Vlad is correct the 51 is the rookie card, the 52 is what was later identified as the FTC.

(First Topps card) However, one may call it whatever one chooses.

Steve

edited to add: Oh and John too.

Yes sites like that can be wrong.
    Good for you.
  • 72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    Many people call the 52 Topps his rookie card when like everyone else said, it is not. It is more valuable because it is believed to be rarer and because it is the First Topps issue. It is similar to calling the 1981 Fleer or Donruss (if they were worth more than the 1980 Topps) Rickey Henderson's rookie card even though he had a card out in 1980. The neww book "Mint Condition" also calls the 52 Topps Mickey Mantle's rookie card by mistake.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Recently we have had tons of issues with RCs in baseball due to the stupid rules by MLB on designating RC's actually on cards.

However this one is very easy. The 1951 Bowman was issued in a nationally distributed form that also included other major RC's of HOFs besides Mantle. It has been recognized as his RC by hobby publications since they began publishing. The only error people make is when quoting non hobby sources such as fan sites.

The 52 Mantle is his most desirable card, no doubt but no amount of wishing will make it ever be his RC.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set

• << <i>Many people call the 52 Topps his rookie card when like everyone else said, it is not. It is more valuable because it is believed to be rarer and because it is the First Topps issue. It is similar to calling the 1981 Fleer or Donruss (if they were worth more than the 1980 Topps) Rickey Henderson's rookie card even though he had a card out in 1980. The neww book "Mint Condition" also calls the 52 Topps Mickey Mantle's rookie card by mistake. >>

Have you read the book? I talked with the author awhile back about 1989 Fleer when he was gathering info. Although I have yet to read more than the 1989 Fleer part..someday..
    imageimageimage
  • 72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Many people call the 52 Topps his rookie card when like everyone else said, it is not. It is more valuable because it is believed to be rarer and because it is the First Topps issue. It is similar to calling the 1981 Fleer or Donruss (if they were worth more than the 1980 Topps) Rickey Henderson's rookie card even though he had a card out in 1980. The neww book "Mint Condition" also calls the 52 Topps Mickey Mantle's rookie card by mistake. >>

Have you read the book? I talked with the author awhile back about 1989 Fleer when he was gathering info. Although I have yet to read more than the 1989 Fleer part..someday.. >>

I am just finishing up the book and it tells a great story about the history of card and the manufacturers. I have just finished the part where they talk about the shadier aspects of the hobby and unfortunately it leaves a sour taste in one's mouth about parts of the hobby. It is a very good book and is a must read for everyone who wants to gain knowledge about collecting.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

John >>

So I guess sites like this are incorrect? http://mickey-mantle-cards.blogspot.com/2009/06/1952-topps-mickey-mantle-rookie-card.html

The Topps is worth more and more desirable IMO. >>

You think the Topps card is worth more and more desirable? Way to go out on a limb. ....IMO the sky is blue and the grass is green, and Mantles RC is in 1951. Off topic, but does anyone know where I can get packs that a T206 Wagner can be pulled from? lmao
    Hey Vlad..

Nice pic! You are one for the sarcasm. Are you in high school?
    Error and RC collector.

• << <i>Tristar had some boxes with a '52 in one of them. It's been pulled.

link >>

WOW!!! image
  • dzolotdzolot Posts: 174 ✭✭

I agree!! '51 Bowman is where it's at!!
    I have twelve Sports Cards videos on youtube w/ over 75,000 views in total!! Vintage cards like 1951 Mantle, 33 Goudey Ruth, T206 Cobb, etc (copy and paste link below):

http://www.youtube.com/user/dzolot

Thanks for watching. Hope you enjoyed!!

- I would encourage all collectors to post a video of their collection - I have found it to be a very rewarding way to share my sports cards!!