Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which Lincoln cent is scarcer - the 1909-S or the 1909-S VDB?

OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm wondering because there are more 1909-S VDB Lincolns offered on eBay than 1909-S without the initials.

Also there are around 3 times as many 1909-S VDB's slabbed.

It could be a similar situation to the 1883 Liberty nickels. There were 16 million made "with cents" compared to 5.4 million "without cents," but today the "with cents" variety is more valuable because so few of them were saved.

The 1909-S VDB Lincoln is undeniably the popularity king because of its low mintage and interesting history. But I think the 1909-S and the 1914-D are both candidates for the scarcest Lincoln cent, in terms of total number of surviving specimens in all grades, because it's likely that fewer of them were saved from circulation.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

Comments

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's probably a good portion of it.
    Add to that that the 1909svdb is worth more and is likely a better "sell".

If you can make 20%, would you rather do it on a few hundred->$1000 or so?
    Or, would you rather make that 20% on $1000-.$3000 or so?

I think the svdb is likely to be found in higher grades, but maybe not the same in pure volume....however, the lower grade 1909s wouldn't command near the same amount.

Take for instance that I have a 1909-s that I got from my uncle. It may have been dipped in the past, I don't know. It's likely VF at the best, for any details.
    I have ZERO desire to send it in and get it graded/genuined. However, if it was a svdb, then I would probably send it in for authentication. There could be more like this out there, so the 1909s are more worn and get traded in a much lower volume and visibility (raw at shows, etc).

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I spent more time looking for a 66rd 09s than a 09 svdb. Not more money just more time.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been in the search for a high end 09 S in au condition. It's a tough coin to find and the same with low ms examples. Any 09 S quickly gets bids and sells strong. I feel the vdb ms exampels
    do exceed the survival rate for non vdb specimans
    ws
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try finding a 1922 no D strong reverse PCGS graded!!

I think that is the hardest cent to find ... JMHO!
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    What I found interesting is that the S/horizonal S variety seems to carry almost no premium, though clearly the survivor numbers are far less.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting question. I have always found the '09-S to be tougher to find than an S-VDB. I have both in 65RD but the '09-S is valued at less than 20% of the S-VDB. Just another one of those market-driven anomalies.
    Lance.
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its strange, but I think the s/s horizontal is more plentiful in pcgs plastic than the regular issue. At times it can be purchased below 09s prices in msrd, which doesnt make sense to me. Regardless of the premium a variety carries, it should still be worth the same as a 09s, all things being equal.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

<< <i>Try finding a 1922 no D strong reverse PCGS graded!!

I think that is the hardest cent to find ... JMHO! >>

There are about a dozen on ebay right now. But high grade is virtually impossible, I agree.
    Lance.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

There are about a dozen on ebay right now. But high grade is virtually impossible, I agree.
    Lance. >>

THE hardest ones in high grade are the 15-s, 23-s, 24-d, and 26-s, followed closely by the 14-s, 24-s, 25-d, 26-d.

BUT the KING OF THEM ALL is the 17-DDO.

Sorry, but the 09-s, SVDB, 14-d, 22 no D, and 55DDO don't even come close.
  • Options
    uhoh I hear Stewart unlimbering the Caplocks on his key board

'WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DUMMY CLEARLY THE 58/58 DDO IS THE KING OF ALL THE LINCOLNS AND IF YOU DONT REALIZE THIS YOU SHOULD BE OUT SWEEPING STREETS'

( image sorry stewwie we love ya but couldnt pass the op for some humor image )
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Lance. >>

THE hardest ones in high grade are the 15-s, 23-s, 24-d, and 26-s, followed closely by the 14-s, 24-s, 25-d, 26-d.

BUT the KING OF THEM ALL is the 17-DDO.

Sorry, but the 09-s, SVDB, 14-d, 22 no D, and 55DDO don't even come close. >>

Yup, those are all very tough.

But in MS, no Lincoln is tougher than the 22 no D strong.
    Lance.

edited to add: I didn't consider the '17 DDO because it's not part of most registries but it is indeed king.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What I found interesting is that the S/horizonal S variety seems to carry almost no premium, though clearly the survivor numbers are far less. >>

If folks are like me, that gets out there to the "too much variety" land.....
    I would look at it as not needed. The way I collect is more of what floats my boat and the date/MM. I really don't go for VAMs or varieties.
    So, I think there are a lot less that are interested in that particular item. And to the point that the lincoln series spans over 100 years now, it gets way too enormous, imho, to collect that way.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file