Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Well this winds me up with my Canada PL dollar registry set...

The coins I need to upgrade and finish my Canadian PL dollar registry set have gone for absolutely
ridiculous prices in the Heritage auction.

I only need 1 coin to finish, and an upgrade of 3 others from PL 66 to PL 67.

The one is need to finish went for $8,000 a couple of months ago. The ones I need to upgrade to 67
went for a total of better than $8,000 today. I tried to hang in there on at least one but the bid almost
doubled what I was willing (and able) to pay.

Folks this is about 4 times the level of just a couple of years ago and the population figures in 67 or better
for 3 of the dates is more than 20.

So I'm moving on; settling for the number 3 set when I had the number 1 a couple of years ago.

I guess it's good news for the value of the other coins but, I think the reach has exceeded the grasp
of most collectors in that series now.

For $16,000, assuming I had it, I could do a lot of good acquisitions in the British series I'm working on-with older,
scarcer and, in my opinion, a lot more history, heritage and numismatic allure behind them.

Adios 1950-67 Canadian PL dollar set.

Turns out I hardly knew ye image
No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
It's just that I got my PCGS grades.

Comments

• JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Canada, I'm afraid the British has already started up also. It seems that too many people are now chasing too few pieces. Just a few years ago a decent 1821 Shilling could be had for a couple of hundred dollars, I saw the one in 64 went for over $1300 with the juice Friday night.
  • I can see that Jeff, even in the relatively short period of time I've been working on it.

Still, compared to more common high grade Canadian, it appears to be a bargain even at the levels I'm seeing.

I'm pretty much committed to PCGS material in high grade and it's very hard to find a series-other than
    post 1967 material-that I can really get into and build a nice set.

I haven't been a "registry set guy" for very long but I've been seriously trying to collect high grade
    for about 30 years now. I sold way too many coins back in the 80's and 90's for peanuts compared to what
    they bring now. And it really chokes me to see what I'd have to pay to get them back.

Short sighted? Well, yes, but dumb assed is a better word image
  • WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    I feel your pain. I tried to win the 1953 $ in PCGS PL67 and was blown away. PL67's are HOT right now.
    And regardless of your registry set's rank, it is still an extremely nice set and one to be very proud of. image

• << <i>And regardless of your registry set's rank, it is still an extremely nice set and one to be very proud of. image >>

no doubt!
    Jim
  • Thanks fellows....

I know you all have great sets; have seen them several times image
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    For $16,000, assuming I had it, I could do a lot of good acquisitions in the British series I'm working on-with older,
    scarcer and, in my opinion, a lot more history, heritage and numismatic allure behind them.

There comes a time when you start looking at substitution value. "If I were to get the next lower grade, how much would I save?" "If I were to use this $8,000 to buy a coin with absolute rarity [vis. grade rarity], what could I get?"

If I had to decide between getting a coin minted for collectors with surviving pieces numbering in the tens of thousands vs. getting a circulation strike coin that may only have a surviving population of a few hundred, I'd take the latter.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats in connection with your efforts on the PL Set-

Do you have a Registry MS set as well?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• I have some mint state but ranked pretty far down since I haven't been working on it for quite
    awhile.

Mint state Canada dollars are out of sight in high grade. So I'll be working mainly on dimes and quarters.

Regards......
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Good for you for making (IMO) a wise decision.

The whole registry thing has me shaking my head at times. I have a few sets ATS, but just for the fun of it; no real competition on my part.

When you get right down to it, you're paying the huge bucks, and in some cases orders of magnitude increases for, a single point printed on a slab label.

Given how inconsistent the TPGs are, can you absolutely say for certain that the coin certified higher is, in fact, the better coin? I've seen countless examples of this NOT being the case.

You're shelling out gobs of money for the number on the holder, not the actual coin.

Furthermore, when it comes to modern and semimodern coinage, at the high end of the MS spectrum, you may not even be able to visibly tell the difference between the 66 and 67 or 67 and 68! And all it takes is a grader not getting some action the night before to flip the two coins.

I think you'll ultimately get more enjoyment (and certainly more bang for the buck) from the route you've chosen than to spend $16,000 on a single point upgrade.

Just my 2 cents...
  • Thanks for your response Coinpictures. Your "two cents" is great currency with me.

Here's just a quick example of why I don't fool with U.S. Registry coins anymore.

Pretty ridiculous.....

• No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
  • Here ya go -

LINK
  • Text

If this doesn't do it I'm done.

Look, when I first started I placed telephone calls through Mildred-- the ONLY Mildred at BellSouth image
  • Except they called it "Southern Bell" back in the 40's...
  • Thanks FB.

Not only did you leave me in the dust with your danged "Jason" Jeton you gotta rub it in.

But hey!

I've gotta reaaaaaallly nice Ike Dollar I'll swap you for it image