Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Philippine gold coin from 1946 --- ???

A U.S. stamp dealer is offering a coin on ebay supposedly from Philippines, supposedly gold, closing in about 13 days from now, buy-it-now for $3900, or make offer. The coin has been listed on ebay since at least March 14th 2010, and two persons have made offers. It's a strange item, copying the design of the Queen Isabel II gold coins of the 1860s, but dated when the U.S. granted formal independence July 4th 1946, and with a denomination of 2 "D" (= dollars?). The inscriptions are in Spanish, and include the statement it is 91% gold. It's not in the reference book Coins, Medals and Tokens of the Philippines by Aldo Basso (1968). Among the questions I have are what entity issued this coin (evidently not any Philippine government)? Is it really 91% gold, and what are the weight and dimensions (no descriptive information is provided in the auction, despite the high selling price)? What's going on here? LINK

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lettering suggests it is something created as some souvenir, probably to pawn off on unsuspecting American servicemen in the Philippines ca. mid 1960's. BTW the seller cannot even bother to take all the stamp collecting nonsense out of the auction, goes to testify how careless he is about a $3900 item(ie he has his doubts too)
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone here written to the seller asking about this item?

It is certainly a strange one!

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

$2 dollar gold token made by someone for philippine independence day 1946

Basso/ 1st edition/ page70/ #300
    Basso / 2nd edition/ page 82/ #250

cookiejar collectibles sold one in their last auction at $200. !! not that rare or desirable

http://mysite.verizon.net/cookiejarpi

Krueger

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    I sure hope it doesn't have any original gum on it! imageimage
  • Options
    botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    Good work Krueger, you nailed it.